Protein Shakes without Milk

Just had a half milk, half water shake and that was not nasty. Maybe tomorrow I'll try 2 ounces of milk.

What ingredients caused the concern?

The one I was using here in canada had tapioca starch in it, and I didn't really want starch of any kind in there. It was also almost $3 per container so when I look at the big picture, water is better, and if I want that creamy milk taste I'll just use whole milk or high fat yogurt. At the time I couldn't fathom drinking whey in water, and I didn't want the extra calories of milk because I was cutting and still am.

GTFO with skim milk, he's asking for reduced carb, not reduced fat.

Half-and-half is usually pretty good, as you get the creaminess from the milk fat but of course with half the calories. Try also adding a shake or two of cinnamon. I can't stop putting cinnamon in my shakes now. Works good with chocolate or vanilla.

And icecubes too, for some reason. After a hard training session I'll sip on a cold protein shake with half-and-half milk/water, cinnamon, and ice cubes. It's a nice way to cool down and rehydrate.

^You know, it's never occurred to me to mix cinnamon and cocoa/chocolate, but it sounds like just the kind of weirdness I'd like.

GTFO with skim milk, he's asking for reduced carb, not reduced fat.

Half-and-half is usually pretty good, as you get the creaminess from the milk fat but of course with half the calories. Try also adding a shake or two of cinnamon. I can't stop putting cinnamon in my shakes now. Works good with chocolate or vanilla.

And icecubes too, for some reason. After a hard training session I'll sip on a cold protein shake with half-and-half milk/water, cinnamon, and ice cubes. It's a nice way to cool down and rehydrate.

Thanks, oyaji poi. I forgot about Heavy cream. Heavy cream is pretty awesome with chocolate protein powder. It's so rich, you almost feel like you're eating 100g of sugary dessert. You can also get it pretty damn thick too if you want, almost like a mousse.

I get most of my protein recipes from Precision Nutrition and the base usually consists of water/tea and yogurt/cottage cheese. Check out this: Turn Your Protein Shake Into A Super Shake | Precision Nutrition, for a good primer.

Also, quality protein makes a huge difference. I've used ON Whey and Syntha-6 but will only use Whey Isolate from True Protein. Tastes great which goes a long way towards a great shake.

What type of protein are you using? Personally, I think whey conc tastes nasty with only water, but any isolates tasted just fine with it. I usually go for vanilla.

I get them as cold as possible. i put in the powder than fill the shaker with ice and water. goes down pretty smooth

Just reporting back that in the last week or two, I've been perfectly fine with no milk or cream. Took awhile to get used to that, and I got there by slowly changing how much milk I put in. For awhile I was using quarter cup milk and a splash of half and half. Then just the half and half, now I just skip it. As others have mentioned, cold water is definitely helpful.

Orange gatorade with vanilla whey gives you a creamsicle taste. Still horrid, though.

Took me a while to find a good shake recipe I liked without using milk. Finally stumbled upon one that includes one of my favorite things in the world: coffee!

2 scoops protein(I use chocolate)

12 oz. coffee

1 or 2 oz. HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM(no carbs)

Ice

Very, very excellent shake.

Took me a while to find a good shake recipe I liked without using milk. Finally stumbled upon one that includes one of my favorite things in the world: coffee!

2 scoops protein(I use chocolate)

12 oz. coffee

1 or 2 oz. HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM(no carbs)

Ice

Very, very excellent shake.

Heavy cream has carbs in it, just less then skim. The serving size is so small that it is less then 1 so they can advertise 0 carb. There can be .99 carbs and they can still say 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsweetened Coconut Milk has 0-1 grams of carbs and 5 grams of good fat (no protein though).

It requires a blender though, for some reason I couldn't get it to mix sufficiently in a shaker.

I only use water. I use Muscle Milk and NLN Lean Pro Matrix.

Back