1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Protein Shakes without Milk

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Beable, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

I don't see the stickied recipe thread that the FAQ talks about, so...

I'm trying to eat less carbs, which will include probably drinking a lot less milk than I'm used to. I tried drinking some protein shakes this weekend with just water mixed in and they were pretty nasty. Anyone have tips for how to make slightly more palatable shakes but without much milk? I did a bit of half and half and that seemed to help. Things I'm considering: half water, half milk or maybe adding yogurt.

2. Blackice

Blackice Orange Belt

Plain yogurt is great in shakes. Just look for one that's as low carb as you can. It also depends on the whey you're using. I find if you get one that tastes great, while it'll never be as good as it is with milk, it holds up in water. At least this was my experience. I thought whey would be gross in water, but I was pleasantly surprised.

3. immovablestone

immovablestone Purple Belt

4. kjos8035

kjos8035 White Belt

Most often I like protein shakes better without milk. Seems to taste more like hot cocoa and is a lot smoother. If you haven't tried Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Hydrowhey you should give it a try. It's completely smooth, very low fat/carbs/cals, and high in protein (in addition to tasting great in water). Perfect for this sort of application.

5. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I just use water and they are fine. Maybe it's the protein you are using.

6. big_kahuna

big_kahuna Problem?

I agree with this.
    I use O.N. protein and it tastes good in either.

But I have had protein powders in the past that tasted like shit in either water or milk.

7. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

Hrm, that's worth checking out. Thanks. I have some vanilla ON at home that I got for my wife. I tend to use chocolate Dymatize, which I like in milk. Maybe it is just not good in water.

8. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Dont use Crystal Lite. I tried some Vanilla whey/fruit punch and it was disgusting.

I know a lot of folks use Powerade Zero

9. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

How many protein shakes are you drinking a day? If you've cut the obvious carbs out of your diet (grain products, fruit, sugary things, etc.), you could have a couple of protein shakes with milk and still be very low-carb, maybe even keto, depending on how big these shakes are.

10. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

I tend to drink two eight ounce one scoop shakes a day. On workout days, my evening shake is post workout and I make that one with 16 ounces and two scoops of whey.

11. JUST BLEED

JUST BLEED Guest

Just use skim milk also if you do a lot of cardio it will all work its self out. If you can drink them with water more power to you I can't do it I'm a p*ssy.

12. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

Or, no.

Use whole milk. It contains less carbohydrate due to the higher fat content. Also "just do a lot of cardio" isn't the best advice for someone wanting to go low carb. Especially depending on how low they are going and the type of cardio.

I love vanilla. 98% of the time I'll take vanilla over chocolate any day. But I personally hated ON vanilla whey. Just tasted like ass to me. The chocolate on the other hand was great. Used milk most of the time, but it was still good in water. Buy a few or several small containers of different brands/flavors and find what you like the best.

1 cup of milk(whole) has ~11 grams of carbs. Depending on how low you go, and what other carb sources you're going to include in your diet. You should be able to work in at least a few glasses. You could also play around with a milk to water ratio and see if you can stretch it further taste wise.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  13. Beable

Beable Blue Belt

Yeah I use whole milk. I will continue training much like I've been doing. There is not cardio in my future.

14. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

I found heating the water up makes the whey protein dissolve much easier, (but not boiling or else it cooks the whey and that's disgusting)
    Plus, it resembles a hot chocolate very closely so whats not to like about that :D

15. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

You have to use less water so its not as dilluted, but should taste just fine.

16. JUST BLEED

JUST BLEED Guest

I love how much people in these forums in here and in S&C and hate cardio lulz.

17. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

It has nothing to do with hating cardio.

18. kjos8035

kjos8035 White Belt

u mad.

19. IDRISCKY

IDRISCKY Purple Belt

U Mad Bra? You get your account banned again, Bra?

20. modena1983

modena1983 I

sttrawberry powerade zero and strawberry whey=money