Protein Requirements per Metabolic Type

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2005
Messages
61,238
Reaction score
24,846
Jeffrey Stout's "Precision Nutrition" from T-Mag
Metabolic types are broken into three categories (fast, moderate, slow) and assigned protein requirements dependent on activity level. The grams per pound range from 0.4-1.2 depending on metabolic type and activity level.
 
No exercise refers to high intensity computer programming followed by an evening of "Must See TV.
haha.

Good stuff Mick. I think a lot of people go overboard with protein and intake much more than they can use.
 
Thanks Mick. I totally believe you. But why in the hell does everyone always say, 1.5 g per lb. They never say whether its for the computer programmer or an athlete, I just always see 1.5g. But again, thank you. It makes more sense.
 
Well, if you take more than your body can handle the worst thats going to happen is that you get expensive piss.
 
Tap112 said:
Well, if you take more than your body can handle the worst thats going to happen is that you get expensive piss.

In the short term.
 
I take in only about .5 g per pound only because I quit lifting for a few months. All I do right now is wrestle and sprints and jump rope. This will all change as I plan to get back in the weight lifting gym this afternoon for a little working out.
 
Tap112 said:
Well, if you take more than your body can handle the worst thats going to happen is that you get expensive piss.
For the most part, yes. But he outlined some dangers of excess protein consumption in that article. It will strain your kidneys.
 
UbetterTAPout said:
Thanks Mick. I totally believe you. But why in the hell does everyone always say, 1.5 g per lb. They never say whether its for the computer programmer or an athlete, I just always see 1.5g. But again, thank you. It makes more sense.
Because that's what they're saying this week. People just make shit up then pass it along when they don't understand its scientific invalidity.

To be honest, that number is new to me. It's always 1g/lb or 2g/lb or God forbid 3g/lb. I'd never heard 1.5. You're not going to overdose on that amount; in fact, it's not a terrible number to shoot for. Most of us aren't that precise in our diets that we get exactly 1.2, not 1.1 or 1.3.
 
Madmick said:
For the most part, yes. But he outlined some dangers of excess protein consumption in that article. It will strain your kidneys.
Yea, I forgot about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you already suffer from kidney disease or something, then you dont have to worry about that. you would have to consume at least double the amount that your body can handle for an extended period of time. even then the body would discard the extra protien, break it down for energy, or store it as fat. then you have those high protein weight loss crap diets, but thats a different story.
 
I take in only about .5 g per pound only because I quit lifting for a few months. All I do right now is wrestle and sprints and jump rope. This will all change as I plan to get back in the weight lifting gym this afternoon for a little working out.
Are you wrestling competitively? and cutting? because then I would understand that.
 
Tap112 said:
Yea, I forgot about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you already suffer from kidney disease or something, then you dont have to worry about that. you would have to consume at least double the amount that your body can handle for an extended period of time. even then the body would discard the extra protien, break it down for energy, or store it as fat. then you have those high protein weight loss crap diets, but thats a different story.
Well, I've never heard of anyone's hospital visit being traced back to protein, but I'll ask my parents if they ever treated anyone for that. It's like you said; I would surmise that it would be as difficult to build a toxicity of protein as it is to build a toxicity of a water-soluble vitamin.
 
Back
Top