Protein Powder Primer

If you are "Lean" bulking, .5 lb muscle gain per week is a reasonable. If you are a serious hardgainer who has trouble getting weight however, Id just eat a boat load, get a little fat with a little more muscle gain than .5 lb per week, and then just cut the fat off

.5lbs per week of true LBM is usually only doable during the first year of training though. If the person has prior lifting experience I think that number is probably a pipe dream.

Dood at the nutrishop recomended this for me...

Although I know why (because it is their product) I was wondering if the blends where decent, and if anyone had any experience with it... I did some online research, and there seems to be a "headache" problem...

Products - Nutek - Advanced Nutrition Technology

I keep hearing from these sales guys inside the nutrishops that I need to drink a gallon of water a day. Now if I drink that much water a day I wont have time to do my job because ill be pissing all day. If I take only 2-3 protein shakes a day, would that much water really be necessary?

I know water intake is necessary in order to flush out the kidneys so they dont take such a beating.... or so I've heard

Calories take priority

of course, if you eat your protein and get go above maintainance only eating fructose(which is unlikely from fruits, and more likely from HFCS junk), you will gain fat.

If you are "Lean" bulking, .5 lb muscle gain per week is a reasonable. If you are a serious hardgainer who has trouble getting weight however, Id just eat a boat load, get a little fat with a little more muscle gain than .5 lb per week, and then just cut the fat off

Lean bulking and gaining .5lbs of MUSCLE a week? No waaaay. If you mean .5lbs of weight, ie muscle, fat, glycogen, and water, maybe. But you are talking about gaining 25lbs of MUSCLE tissue a year? If it was this easy nobody would ever "dirty bulk" because after a few years they would all be 250 with single digit BF

I keep hearing from these sales guys inside the nutrishops that I need to drink a gallon of water a day. Now if I drink that much water a day I wont have time to do my job because ill be pissing all day. If I take only 2-3 protein shakes a day, would that much water really be necessary?

I know water intake is necessary in order to flush out the kidneys so they dont take such a beating.... or so I've heard

No you won't. You'll adjust. If you are training and sweating regularly a gallon is not unrealistic at all. I go through nearly a gallon during some long training sessions.

No you won't. You'll adjust. If you are training and sweating regularly a gallon is not unrealistic at all. I go through nearly a gallon during some long training sessions.

Yeah, I could see this if you do some sort of regular training, but I am only looking to take protein as a supplement to help lean up and lose weight. I work construction, and I lift weights about 4-5 days a week and do cardio about 3-4...

I just dont see a gallon for me unless I tried extra hard...

This may seem like a bit of a dumb question, so I wont make a topic on it.

I usually cook a nice big breakfast of meat and eggs in the morning, but I will start working some earlier shifts for work and my stomach cant handle that much food so early nor do I want to wake up extra early to do so. I would like to substitute this meal with a protein shake.

On these days I wont necessarily be working out, is it fine for me to take a protein supplement anyways? Also, what would be the best type of protein for me to take in the morning like this, considering I wont be working out this day, or if I do, it wont be for another 8 hours.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

This may seem like a bit of a dumb question, so I wont make a topic on it.

I usually cook a nice big breakfast of meat and eggs in the morning, but I will start working some earlier shifts for work and my stomach cant handle that much food so early nor do I want to wake up extra early to do so. I would like to substitute this meal with a protein shake.

On these days I wont necessarily be working out, is it fine for me to take a protein supplement anyways? Also, what would be the best type of protein for me to take in the morning like this, considering I wont be working out this day, or if I do, it wont be for another 8 hours.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Think of protein shakes as a meal-replacement drink. It's not a drug or some magic substance. It's just food. So treat it as such.

As far as protein types, I'd say the only thing you really need to worry about is whether you're lactose intolerant or not. If you aren't and want to save money get whey concentrate. If you are and don't mind paying a tiny bit extra for protein sans explosive shits then get whey isolate. Other than this, just get the one that tastes the best.

Think of protein shakes as a meal-replacement drink. It's not a drug or some magic substance. It's just food. So treat it as such.

As far as protein types, I'd say the only thing you really need to worry about is whether you're lactose intolerant or not. If you aren't and want to save money get whey concentrate. If you are and don't mind paying a tiny bit extra for protein sans explosive shits then get whey isolate. Other than this, just get the one that tastes the best.

Thanks a lot for answering my question. Much Appreciated.

The cheapest isolate at TP.com is almost twice as much as the concentrate (~5 vs ~9). Is it REALLY worth the money, especially if a person has no problems with lactose?

Back