Protein Powder Primer

"It is recommended to have anywhere from 1 - 3 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight on a daily basis."

So I need to consume 430 grams per day?!

No way. That is a ongoing argument as well dpending upon who you ask. I consume 200per day and do fine.

Thanks for this thread Madmick.

*sigh* I need to spend more time in this forum.

Updated the primer, Lusst.

It's not problem.

Yeah, thanks Madmick. You've always been super helpful in pointing me in the right directions when researching nutritional curiosities I've had.

That said, I think, via this and some common sense, that I'm convinced to switch to an MPI for my non-PWO protein of choice (outside of whole foods, of course). Once I finish off this whey I bought before educating myself, at least.

After reading this twice, I think you both said the same thing and both made valid points. But in the end I wanted to punch both of you in the mouth for having me read this........By the way which one do I buy? I am fat and trying to lose weight! I follow a reduced KCAL PN diet. I also am in the gym 6 times a week 3x cardio 3x weights

Thanks for the advice Madmick.

Really helpful explaination on the breakdown of protein.

Surprised that the question of quantity wasn't raised here. Is there any clear cut answer on how much protein is needed in your diet? I have heard 1 gm per pound of body weight, and I have also heard that that has been debunked.

1 g/lb is a good and safe starting point, although even as low as .6 is said to do the job as well. Lots of variability though, protein quality, digestion, etc.

If you are on a deficit, you will need more protein, if you are bulking you will need less.

1 g/lb is a good and safe starting point, although even as low as .6 is said to do the job as well. Lots of variability though, protein quality, digestion, etc.

If you are on a deficit, you will need more protein, if you are bulking you will need less.

Just to confirm what you wrote, you need LESS protein when bulking? I would have thought that it would be more.

Just to confirm what you wrote, you need LESS protein when bulking? I would have thought that it would be more.

You will need additional protein when cutting in order to fully prevent your body from using muscle tissue for energy.

When you are bulking, other nutrients, carbs etc, are protein sparing, so your body tends to use them first

less proportion wise? Or less in total amounts?

both actually. I try to get a little more than 1g/lb when im cutting, about 1.2-1.5 to be safe

when im bulking usually 1g/lb but wouldnt care if i get .8g/lb
In terms of proportions, it would be further off

and no problem MS

Thanks for the debate boys. Both provided me with great points and pointed me to certain directions to make my own decision.

Minimum requirements are simply lower in bulk. Doesnt mean you cant eat a lot of it though

Any macro more effective than the other for bulking, or does it come down to straight calories? If so, I'm just gonna start eating sticks of butter.

Any macro more effective than the other for bulking, or does it come down to straight calories? If so, I'm just gonna start eating sticks of butter.

Calories take priority

of course, if you eat your protein and get go above maintainance only eating fructose(which is unlikely from fruits, and more likely from HFCS junk), you will gain fat.

If you are "Lean" bulking, .5 lb muscle gain per week is a reasonable. If you are a serious hardgainer who has trouble getting weight however, Id just eat a boat load, get a little fat with a little more muscle gain than .5 lb per week, and then just cut the fat off

Back