Protein Drink? Supplements

genecop

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wife has been hitting the gym hard for years,,,Cardio Machine at 60…
I Recently went back with her and started doing some lifting again..As a kid, the choices for drinks and protein powder were minimal…Weider, Arnold had some shit out…GNC…
Went into a couple of places and the choices were endless..
Looking for a a good chocolate protein powder that we can both take, or any supplement that you think can help recovery and gains…

Not going to be easy at 60, but WTF let’s see what we can do, Thanks..

Also….anything good for energy prior to workout? Cant deal with those speedy energy drinks, back in the day we used some shit that is not an option these days…

You should probably look into fixing your diet before relying on supplements. What does an average day of eating look like? Calories? Macros?

I should make changes to my diet, but sometimes I’m in a goddamn hurry so I’ll have a protein shake in the morning or between meals. Always just bought the gold standard protein at Costco. Taste pretty good to me. It was $50 per bag a year ago. Now it’s $65.

As far as preworkout I just use coffee. For protein myprotein.us is very legit.

You should probably look into fixing your diet before relying on supplements. What does an average day of eating look like? Calories? Macros?

Typically one meal, early afternoon evening….1500-2000 calories…
Meat, or fish, and a vegetable…A few sweets at night, not doing myself any favors, but the winds of change are blowing..

Typically one meal, early afternoon evening….1500-2000 calories…
Meat, or fish, and a vegetable…A few sweets at night, not doing myself any favors, but the winds of change are blowing..

Probably won't be making many gains with so few calories. I get that you're 60 and that your metabolism has slowed a bit and your hormones aren't what they used to be, but if you're in they gym 3-4 days per week I wouldn't expect much progress being made from 1500-2000 per day, especially as your body tends to lose that anabolic response to protein and other food as you age. If you're looking to support recovery and gains then there's some research out there that suggests 3 bolus amounts of protein throughout the day will promote muscle/strength maintenance in(I hate to say it, you've got 5 years until you meet that criteria) elderly or geriatric people. So that means eating at least 30 grams of complete protein sources 3 times throughout the day to get enough leucine to kick off muscle protein synthesis. And for muscle building that amount is really on the low end of the spectrum. Some say it's detrimental to ramp up mTOR signaling so often but you're getting to a point in your life where maintaining strength and lean tissue is super important to your survival, not just quality of life. Ultimately you should be the judge of what you do to your body, I'm just giving you things to think about.

So if you need a protein powder supplement out of convenience or you just aren't able to eat that much whole food in a day without feeling bloated, then True Nutrition has some really good products with endless options and customization(some energy blends too I think)

Honestly, you could pretty easily hit your macros and calories for the day with real food.

Probably won't be making many gains with so few calories. I get that you're 60 and that your metabolism has slowed a bit and your hormones aren't what they used to be, but if you're in they gym 3-4 days per week I wouldn't expect much progress being made from 1500-2000 per day, especially as your body tends to lose that anabolic response to protein and other food as you age. If you're looking to support recovery and gains then there's some research out there that suggests 3 bolus amounts of protein throughout the day will promote muscle/strength maintenance in(I hate to say it, you've got 5 years until you meet that criteria) elderly or geriatric people. So that means eating at least 30 grams of complete protein sources 3 times throughout the day to get enough leucine to kick off muscle protein synthesis. And for muscle building that amount is really on the low end of the spectrum. Some say it's detrimental to ramp up mTOR signaling so often but you're getting to a point in your life where maintaining strength and lean tissue is super important to your survival, not just quality of life. Ultimately you should be the judge of what you do to your body, I'm just giving you things to think about.

So if you need a protein powder supplement out of convenience or you just aren't able to eat that much whole food in a day without feeling bloated, then True Nutrition has some really good products with endless options and customization(some energy blends too I think)

Honestly, you could pretty easily hit your macros and calories for the day with real food.

Thanks, will be working in increasing my caloric intake, and eating more balanced…
I’ve never been a 3-4 meal a day guy, but I realize that if I want to make some changes, it will require dietary as well…
Will look into True Nutrition…

Thanks, will be working in increasing my caloric intake, and eating more balanced…
I’ve never been a 3-4 meal a day guy, but I realize that if I want to make some changes, it will require dietary as well…
Will look into True Nutrition…

Same.

I almost never eat breakfast, I'm just never hungry in the morning and if I force feed myself I end up feeling pretty cruddy. I eat a medium sized lunch, a big dinner, workout 7 or 8pm and then have a post workout meal right after that. Even that is pushing it for me, but I know if I don't have that last meal of the day I'll be 700 calories short of my goal.

Wife has been hitting the gym hard for years,,,Cardio Machine at 60…
I Recently went back with her and started doing some lifting again..As a kid, the choices for drinks and protein powder were minimal…Weider, Arnold had some shit out…GNC…
Went into a couple of places and the choices were endless..
Looking for a a good chocolate protein powder that we can both take, or any supplement that you think can help recovery and gains…

Not going to be easy at 60, but WTF let’s see what we can do, Thanks..

Prioritize whole foods... but if you have to supplement I think a whey isolate would suffice

I don't think brand matters it's all just protein

Just get some whey

If you're really interested google the brands from the store and find out what you care for.

How well is it regulated. I think any respected name brand should be good.

Besides it's just 30 gram of protein and 120 calories out of your + 2000 calories day

I use hydrolyzed beef protein banana fudge flavor, I'm intolerant of everything else.

There's no way to get the protein macros with food, for cost anyway.

Back