Protein depression

I'll jump in here since I'm also on Zoloft for clinical/Chronic depression. I've been on it about 6 years now. Tried a ton of things before finally getting on the meds. I"m a college educated person....and yet before the meds...there were weeks....weeks that I did not shower...get out of bed...care for my pets...lost jobs. It was truly fascinating to me..looking back. I wonder why I did it. And over the 6 years I've tried to go without the Zoloft.....I was sure I was better. But....same thing.

I'm not going to debate what's better for the treatment.....but a lot of people label depression as "the blues" or such. I have to say this is such a remarkle disease/condition that anyone that doesn't go thru it....really can't relate to it completely. The thought process or lack of that someone in a Clinical depression goes thru is beyond words sometimes. I'll also add....the zoloft wasn't a magic pill. Sure it helped a great deal, but for quite a while I still had to continue with counseling....and I had to make good decisions in my life. Not put myself in situations that might lead to a depression.

Over the years I've learned.....I still go thru a depression cycle ( I actually have some mania thrown in there....but it's not really that big of a deal) But I have to remember that......this is normal for me. I got thru my depression ( which now consists of a few days being very blah maybe twice a year) and I come out. I always come out of it. It took a long time and a lot of work. The work part is what a lot of people don't put in....thus they remain their silly selves :)

Like everything else....you have to want it. You have to want to get better...and put the work in. If you do...your life will be much more satisfying. Good luck all.

King Kabuki said:
Did you have OCD before you had depression? Because they often are coupled together, and it would make sense that in your case the depression would be less controllable.

I've had OCD my whole life. I had minor bouts w/ depression that I felt were manageable for quite a while. My OCD has continuously changed the way it shows itself, however, and ultimately turned into the self-diagnosis of ailments that I mentioned, which, in turn, brought about a sense of hopelessness, fear, anxiety and depression. After the brain MRI would come back OK, I would turn to something else, and then something else. Surely, there was something wrong w/ me. I'd even argue w/ my family at the slightest suggestion that I was, in fact, healthy. In a way, I'd feel disrespected. It's funny how you can look back at a situation and realize how ridiculous it really was when, at the time, it was quite crippling.

Girljock, thanks for sharing your story. It is true that you have to want to get better, whether that be through therapy, medicine or homeopathic aids like the Bach product that KK mentioned. I'm not advocating one solution over another, just that solutions of any form reach a level of social acceptance that physical problems have had the benefit of for many centuries.

There has been a good discussion about depression here. Although unfortunately the article had nothing to do with protein intake. Basically everything in your body is protein. Your DNA machinery that duplicates your DNA, the signaling molecules that convey information, the molecules that allow Ca2+ into your muscles so your contractile machinery (also protein) can contract. All this is protein.

So, they just said that a certain protein, p11, has been linked to depression. I didn't read the whole thing, but I got an idea. Finding a protein that is linked like that is very helpful because then you can start to find pharmacological ways to modulate the expression of that protein. Too much? Bind with with another protein, or introduce a protein that will compete with it for receptors. Too little? Inject some, take a pill that gives you more, or a pill that increases the amount of it made naturally in the body (kinda like prohormones for hormones).

So, while this is a great discovery for depression, it has nothing to do with diet at all.

I'm not going to debate what's better for the treatment.....but a lot of people label depression as "the blues" or such. I have to say this is such a remarkle disease/condition that anyone that doesn't go thru it....really can't relate to it completely.

Im going to respectfully diagree with this statement, only SLIGHTLY, though.

This may be true with the general un-educated public (un-educated about psychology), but if it were true as a blanket statement then pretty much 75% of therapists who work with clinical depression would fall under this statement and thus, not be able to relate to their patients. When you study these afflictions you can indeed get to know, empathize with, and relate to the patients. Sometimes a little TOO much, many therapists allow for their patients to become co-dependant on them, it's a common mistake as it's only human to bond with other humans when you share information this deep. But sometimes the bond can become a little too symbiotic for one party to benefit as they should.

But anywho, I think a person with an open-mind can envision and thus, relate to clinical depression. It just depends on the individual.

King Kabuki said:
But anywho, I think a person with an open-mind can envision and thus, relate to clinical depression. It just depends on the individual.

You said it all right there. Openmindedness is an oft lacking quality, I find.

Has anyone tried L-theanine, capsule form?

L-theanine + Eleuthero + GABA = awesome combination that a real life TCM practitioner suggested after my mother died in '04.

Theanine for the alpha brain waves.
Eleuthero for adrenal balance which helps with normal sleep patterns plus.
GABA for its help with seratonin production.

King Kabuki said:
Im going to respectfully diagree with this statement, only SLIGHTLY, though.

This may be true with the general un-educated public (un-educated about psychology), but if it were true as a blanket statement then pretty much 75% of therapists who work with clinical depression would fall under this statement and thus, not be able to relate to their patients. When you study these afflictions you can indeed get to know, empathize with, and relate to the patients. Sometimes a little TOO much, many therapists allow for their patients to become co-dependant on them, it's a common mistake as it's only human to bond with other humans when you share information this deep. But sometimes the bond can become a little too symbiotic for one party to benefit as they should.

Sorry I didn't mean to say....you can't relate to depression or understand it if you don't suffer from it. Hmm...line from Star Trek 3 is coming to me. McCoy to Spock "you mean I have to die to discuss death with you" Or something like that. I didnt mean that at all. I just think it's hard for the healthy person to comprehend not wanting to get out of bed for two weeks when there is seeminly nothing really wrong in your life. The brain is amazing...I'll say that.

Word of the day:

asshol-ishness - One's ability to mimic the behavior patterns of an "asshole" to a varying degree. Not to be confused with "assholelessness" which is a common societal disorder that prevents the afflicted from passing waste and thus forever remaining, full of shit.

Todays word was provided by KK (see post #15)

Word of the day:

asshol-ishness - One's ability to mimic the behavior patterns of an "asshole" to a varying degree. Not to be confused with "assholelessness" which is a common societal disorder that prevents the afflicted from passing waste and thus forever remaining, full of shit.

Todays word was provided by KK (see post #15)

I do what I can. *bows*

um.....ok, so wait.........you want me to eat more meat if I'm depressed?

Back