Protein before workout

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
I usually lift during ther afternoon then train judo at night. I will usually eat and drink a protein shake after the gym then go to Judo a couple hours later. Everytime I drink the protein I feel dizzy and dehydrate easily during my judo class. Is it wrong to take in a lot of protein before a cardio workout like Judo?

Mojorisin99 said:
I usually lift during ther afternoon then train judo at night. I will usually eat and drink a protein shake after the gym then go to Judo a couple hours later. Everytime I drink the protein I feel dizzy and dehydrate easily during my judo class. Is it wrong to take in a lot of protein before a cardio workout like Judo?

How much is "a lot"? It's actually a good thing to take in fast-digesting proteins like whey, although carbohydrates are more important for aerobic activity. Are you getting enough complex carbohydrates from real foods in between sessions? The only macro you don't really want directly before or after physical activity is fat because it slows the digestion of the carbohydrates and protein you're ingesting.

Mojorisin99 said:

could you be a bit more specific in your schedule?

Its says you drink a protein shake and then go to Judo "a couple of hours later."

If you mean that you finish lifting at 3, drink a protein shake, then don't eat again until after Judo, which lasts until 6:30, then yes, we have a problem.

you dont need protein before a workout, you need it after. its called post-wrokout nutrition....you need carbs and protein after a workout

you need energy before the work out. Eat some chocolate.

I will typically lift from 3-5 then come home and immediately eat and drink a protein shake. Then Judo begins about 7, so its about 1.5-2 hours after. And I always feel like i am spent, I get dizzy quickly and come close to blacking out. This does not seem to happen when I don't take in protein beforehand, but to maximize the protein results they say to take it in a half hour after you lift.

Would I be better off just drinking a shake after Judo which is typically about 9:30? Or should I just lift earlier in the day and give my body more time to break down the protein?

Mojorisin99 said:
I will typically lift from 3-5 then come home and immediately eat and drink a protein shake. Then Judo begins about 7, so its about 1.5-2 hours after. And I always feel like i am spent, I get dizzy quickly and come close to blacking out. This does not seem to happen when I don't take in protein beforehand, but to maximize the protein results they say to take it in a half hour after you lift.

Would I be better off just drinking a shake after Judo which is typically about 9:30? Or should I just lift earlier in the day and give my body more time to break down the protein?

If your going to lift wieghts and train Judo on the same day. You need atleast 6 hours between and 8 hours would be perfect. You energy system is drained after a lifting weights and proceeding to Judo with 2 hours rest and just protein in your system is a forumal for over-training.

You are over-training which leads to many negatives in performance and health. I would seperate days you train Judo and lift weights. 2 a days is for athletes whoes nurtition and supplementation is perfect even then this type of training must be cycled.

Drop lifting weights on days you train Judo and take Madmicks advice of pre and post workout nurtrition. I would also abvise to take 1 day of rest out of the week and another day of active rest where you only stretch or go over technique.

take care

i believe protein powder is crap. its processed to the max u would be much better looking for natural alternatives. preferably live food they have the most energy. protien powder is about as dead as it gets..

LeveRAGE.tv said:
If your going to lift wieghts and train Judo on the same day. You need atleast 6 hours between and 8 hours would be perfect. You energy system is drained after a lifting weights and proceeding to Judo with 2 hours rest and just protein in your system is a forumal for over-training.

You are over-training which leads to many negatives in performance and health. I would seperate days you train Judo and lift weights. 2 a days is for athletes whoes nurtition and supplementation is perfect even then this type of training must be cycled.

Drop lifting weights on days you train Judo and take Madmicks advice of pre and post workout nurtrition. I would also abvise to take 1 day of rest out of the week and another day of active rest where you only stretch or go over technique.

take care

In a perfect world, we would have 6 hours to rest up between training. I see you point of view Leverage, and I think that you make some good points.

I personally training BJJ 5 days a week and lift 3. I think your problem is diet, not overtraining, though if you are lifting for 2 hours, then you are overtraining. I would limit your weight lifting sessions to 45 minutes 3 days a week, and for the love of God eat some carbs before you go to Judo. Its little wonder you are getting dizzy.

Madmick said:
How much is "a lot"? It's actually a good thing to take in fast-digesting proteins like whey, although carbohydrates are more important for aerobic activity. Are you getting enough complex carbohydrates from real foods in between sessions? The only macro you don't really want directly before or after physical activity is fat because it slows the digestion of the carbohydrates and protein you're ingesting.

Basically I'm agreeing with Madmick.

So all you're eating after your workout is the protein shake? If so thats bad man. Eat some complex carbs like oatmeal after your workout and some fruit (simple sugars) before judo also wouldn't hurt. As for when to take the protein I always heard to take it within half an hour after you're done lifting not half an hour after you finished lifting.

you need carbohydrates before you work out for energy, and protein after you work out

The guy's saying he's training twice! So should he take protein after his workout, but before judo! Easy to say carbs before and protein after, but look at the question.

I'm in the same boat. I train at the gym for one hour and then have a hour break before my MA classes, which is two hours. I try and eat through the day, having a pasta/rice dish around 1pm. I hit the gym at 4pm until 6.30pm (but includes sanua and jacuzzi) then hit the mat for 2 hours from 7pm.

I take a protein bar straight after the gym work about 5.15 - 5.30pm. Then I might have a banana and/or sports drink around 6.30pm. I'm pretty tired on the mat, and do dehydrate, but that's due more to the training and sanua (sanua's done to kill time really!). Never really get too dizzy though.

I then eat a couple of sandwichs on the way home on the train (takes 1.5 hrs) as it's too late to cook by the time I'm home. I'll have a yogurt and my vitimins and a protein shake before sleeping. This is a rountine I follow most days as I train 3-5 gym days and 4-6 ma days. My problem was I have to carry all my food with me, as it's too expensive to eat out (and rubbish food) and I don't have a chance to make anything during the day.

This is my general training day

6am: wake with ceral bar by the bed, 10 min fast cycle to train
8am: 0.75 litre of Water
8.30am: Porridge with banana, nuts, seeds and dried fruit (plus a diet coke, my weakness)
10.30am: 2 rounds of sandwiches, tuna & ham
1pm: either Pasta or brown Rice, with chicken and mixed veg. About 100g of pasta. Diet Coke
2pm: apple
4pm: Gym, weight with cardo (max 20min cardo) at least 0.75l water
5pm: protein bar
6.30pm: banana/sports drink
7-9pm: TJJ/BJJ/Muay Thai
10pm: 2 rounds of sandwiches (as above), with 0.75l water
11pm: Yogurt, vitimins & Protein shake

If I'm trying to add weight I'll add another protein shake about 2pm and maybe some chocolate before the gym and before the MA class just for energy. If I'm cutting weight, I'll remove the protein shakes and chocolate (about 1000 kcal) and increase cardo by 500 kcal a day.

Now this isn't a perfect plan, but it's the best I can do with what I have. I work 8am-4pm in an office and have to travel 1.5hr to and from work each day. I've worked out my diet to included between 2,800-3,500kcal a day depending on how I'm training. Anything around or below 2,500 kcal and I'll start dropping weight. Protein is well above what it needs to be for both stabilising weight or growth, as is fat and carbs. I also take a mulit vitimin and some seed oil and omega oils.

My training's been going pretty well since I've move to this plan. I managed to put 2.5kg on with some heavy training and a 3,600 kcal diet and remove 3kg to make weight for a BJJ tournament without ever feeling too hungrey. My only real problem is getting enough sleep, as I only get 6-7hrs a night, which really isn't enough.

Just as a note, I'm 5'9" and weight between 167 and 180 pounds depending on training.

Hope this post is useful in seeing what others are doing and isn't too long.

What's the score with two topics running? Sorry to those who've read my long post in the other thread.

I'm in the same boat. I train at the gym for one hour and then have a hour break before my MA classes, which is two hours. I try and eat through the day, having a pasta/rice dish around 1pm. I hit the gym at 4pm until 6.30pm (but includes sanua and jacuzzi) then hit the mat for 2 hours from 7pm.

I take a protein bar straight after the gym work about 5.15 - 5.30pm. Then I might have a banana and/or sports drink around 6.30pm. I'm pretty tired on the mat, and do dehydrate, but that's due more to the training and sanua (sanua's done to kill time really!). Never really get too dizzy though.

I then eat a couple of sandwichs on the way home on the train (takes 1.5 hrs) as it's too late to cook by the time I'm home. I'll have a yogurt and my vitimins and a protein shake before sleeping. This is a rountine I follow most days as I train 3-5 gym days and 4-6 ma days. My problem was I have to carry all my food with me, as it's too expensive to eat out (and rubbish food) and I don't have a chance to make anything during the day.

This is my general training day

6am: wake with ceral bar by the bed, 10 min fast cycle to train
8am: 0.75 litre of Water
8.30am: Porridge with banana, nuts, seeds and dried fruit (plus a diet coke, my weakness)
10.30am: 2 rounds of sandwiches, tuna & ham
1pm: either Pasta or brown Rice, with chicken and mixed veg. About 100g of pasta. Diet Coke
2pm: apple
4pm: Gym, weight with cardo (max 20min cardo) at least 0.75l water
5pm: protein bar
6.30pm: banana/sports drink
7-9pm: TJJ/BJJ/Muay Thai
10pm: 2 rounds of sandwiches (as above), with 0.75l water
11pm: Yogurt, vitimins & Protein shake

If I'm trying to add weight I'll add another protein shake about 2pm and maybe some chocolate before the gym and before the MA class just for energy. If I'm cutting weight, I'll remove the protein shakes and chocolate (about 1000 kcal) and increase cardo by 500 kcal a day.

Now this isn't a perfect plan, but it's the best I can do with what I have. I work 8am-4pm in an office and have to travel 1.5hr to and from work each day. I've worked out my diet to included between 2,800-3,500kcal a day depending on how I'm training. Anything around or below 2,500 kcal and I'll start dropping weight. Protein is well above what it needs to be for both stabilising weight or growth, as is fat and carbs. I also take a mulit vitimin and some seed oil and omega oils.

My training's been going pretty well since I've move to this plan. I managed to put 2.5kg on with some heavy training and a 3,600 kcal diet and remove 3kg to make weight for a BJJ tournament without ever feeling too hungrey. My only real problem is getting enough sleep, as I only get 6-7hrs a night, which really isn't enough.

Just as a note, I'm 5'9" and weight between 167 and 180 pounds depending on training.

Hope this post is useful in seeing what others are doing and isn't too long.

wenispinkle said:
you dont need protein before a workout, you need it after. its called post-wrokout nutrition....you need carbs and protein after a workout

Actually scientists have found that Pre workout is more important then post workout nutrition, so if you are going to do only one, do pre, but both is the best thing to do.

Take carbs with protien pre and post workout for the best results (growth wise)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back