protein and carb myths

Vilo Magee

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Carbohydrates and protein have been misunderstood for years. Here are the top 10 myths that plague your diet

Excellent fucking post my friend! I agree with everything you stated.

CARB MYTH #2: EATING CARBS AT NIGHT MAKES YOU FAT

Many dieters restrict their carb intake at night, limiting them-selves to protein powder, poultry, fish and vegetables sometime after 5 p.m. The belief is that carbs eaten at night will unequivocally be stored as bodyfat, which is generally true, as insulin sensitivity decreases at night. But here's the problem: If you train after work at 7 p.m. and finish by 9, you must eat carbohydrates in your post-training meal to kick-start the muscle-building process. If you avoid carbohydrates you'll fail to support the growth process and, worse, it could increase your cortisol, a hormone that can lower testosterone levels and chew away muscle mass, causing a drop in your metabolic rate. That's the biggest concern, because when the metabolic rate declines, the body becomes really good at storing bodyfat.

MYTH BUSTER: Consume 50 grams of carbohydrates (in addition to protein) to kick-start the rebuilding process in the meal following your workout. If you don't gain bodyfat from eating that much, boost it to 70-80 grams.

*applauds this one particularly*

I'm a staunch night-eater. And I get CRAZY carb cravings at night. I moderate my intake and am still getting leaner and more cut. Eating carbs at night is not a huge deal if you are mindful of you caloric intake for the rest of the day.

If you are going to cut & paste full articles from online magazines, then cite your source, don't make it look like you wrote it.

The above came straight from

Protein & carbs: carbohydrates and protein have been misunderstood for years. Here are the top 10 myths that plague your diet

Great post, man. I'm a triathlete who often doesn't get to the gym until after 7:00pm [dinner at 10:00pm]. I do cardio and weight training and I'm always looking for good nutrition information so I can get the most of out the time I spend in the gym. From this, it looks like I need to increase my post-workout carbs. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the information.

If you are going to cut & paste full articles from online magazines, then cite your source, don't make it look like you wrote it.

The above came straight from

Protein & carbs: carbohydrates and protein have been misunderstood for years. Here are the top 10 myths that plague your diet

King Kabuki said:
Bro, Vilo is well-respected around these parts and anyone who has followed his posting can usually tell when he's written something or is just showing articles.

In some of the other threads the sources are cited, but I can assure you he wasn't trying to represent this information as a brand-new discovery made by he alone.
Thats cool, I realized he probably forgot to cite as I later saw that he did give credit in some of the other posts he made today that I just finished reading.

I made the above comment after only reading the first article, and realizing that I read that before in M&F.

I didnt intend to take credit for the article just could not remember where I found it

What if you are trying to lose weight for a fight? Still eat carbs? I've lost 10lb in the last 2 weeks, I have a fight coming up in a week and a half, gotta lose 6 more lbs. The only carbs I get are a small bowl of oatmeal in the morning after my run. I am eating like nothing but protein and vegetables, couple of fruits a day, and not eating after 7pm. I would LOVE to eat some carbs like a normal person, but my coach and another old time fighter who I talk to told me to absolutely not eat any.

stabmasterarson said:
What if you are trying to lose weight for a fight? Still eat carbs? I've lost 10lb in the last 2 weeks, I have a fight coming up in a week and a half, gotta lose 6 more lbs. The only carbs I get are a small bowl of oatmeal in the morning after my run. I am eating like nothing but protein and vegetables, couple of fruits a day, and not eating after 7pm. I would LOVE to eat some carbs like a normal person, but my coach and another old time fighter who I talk to told me to absolutely not eat any.
I would eat some more carbs if it was me because you are gunna be run down and carb depleted. You can sweat 6 pounds off in less than 30 minutes

won't I put on weight though if I start eating more carbs? That's the only thing I'm worried about. If I keep working hard, will the weight stay off even if I include more carbs in the diet? What is the right time to be eating carbs, if not only in the morning? I train morning and night. sorry about the questions, I am new to the whole nutrition thing, especially trying to make weight.

Stab i dont mean to sound like a dick but if your coach is giving you shitty nutrition advice maybe you need new coach.
Anyways that said carbs are your fuel if you are low on fuel you gunna gas out now matter how good shape you are in.
I cut weight also but I eat 200 grams of carbs a day and about 3500 calories per day sometimes I eat up to 4000 calories a day. I eat 1 gram of protein for every one pound I weigh which can fluctuate from time to time
Are you running any type of distance?
I run 5 miles per day when i am not training for a fight and when I am training for a fight I run 7-8
I train one time per day for 2.5 hours
I run on empty stomach then when I get home I have one cup coffee and 2 cups of oatmeal with skim milk
I dont know how much you weigh but I do know that it sounds as if you are not getting enough carbs and maybe not training very effectively.
I can lose 5-8 pounds in sweat every training sesssion.
Waht do you wear when you train?
What is you training regime like?
When you answer these questions maybe we can help you a little more but if you are paying a coach to train you he should e setting you up with a goood program to get you on the right track.

Ok Vilo, here goes.
I'm fighting at 160, weigh 165 right now. I found out about the fight on the 5th, when I weighed 176. I'm 5'7". I've lost 10lb this way. Here's my routine.
Wake up, have a hardboiled egg and a cup of coffee w. no sugar/cream.
I alternate daily running or swimming in the am. If I run, here are the 4 running routines I run.
Run 1/4 mile intervals, on a treadmill at 1.0 incline, the rest part is 8.6mph, the sprint is 12.3mph for 3 miles. This takes me anywhere from 19-21 minutes depending on if I need short (<15 second) breaks after the sprints.

or, I run on the road for the same distance, but sprint from one pole to the next, then jog a pole, etc. I live in a hilly town, so this is very killer. I don't do it every day because it's hard on the joints.

I will run 3 miles on treadmill, first mile 8.6mph, second, 9.0mph, then third 10mph. This takes 19.50 to do 3 miles.

I will run on a track, sprint 100m on the straightaways, jog the ends. Will do 8x around the track, for 2 miles.

when swimming, I swim 25m sprints for a half hour, I will do 10 lengths with a 30 sec rest at the end of each length (it takes me 30 seconds to do a length), then I do one length, rest 30 seconds, next length, rest 45 seconds, until a half hour is up.

I was told that I need to work on my cardio for the fight by doing mainly sprints, and not going for real long distances, because I might lose strength or muscle mass. Also, I'm an amateur, this is my first fight, so it's only 3-2min rds. I plan on getting a few amateur kickboxing fights under my belt to get used to fighting for a crowd, then I plan on fighting MMA, I have some grappling skills also, but am mainly a boxer/puncher.

Then I go home, have 1 cup of all bran and a banana, skim milk. 2 more hardboiled eggs, half a grapefruit, and 3 scoop no carb protein shake (270 cal shake 6 carbs 54g protein). This is circa 10 am

Drink lots of water, mid afternoon, eat a can of tuna, fruit.
Eat dinner around 5pm, consisting of spinach salad, no fat dressing, chicken breast baked no salt, steamed brocolli, cauliflower, carrots. Drink more water, another grapefruit.
Train at 7pm-9pm kickboxing (this is a muay thai fight I'm training for).
Come home, protein shake like above, water, sleep.

when I run, I wear shorts and a tshirt if indoors. If outdoors, trackpants and a hoody.
I might start wearing garbage bags in the next week if I need to, the fight is in 9 days, weigh in in 8 days. On weigh in, I won't eat or drink until evening when the weigh in is.

I am 6'3 197 pounds i would like to put on some more muscle and have started eating only recipes that i have found given by King Kabuki and a few others on this site i also have started taking a whey protein powder i work out in my local mma gym 5 days a week , I usually lift weights and do various cardio exercises almost every day not to mention the grappling and boxing. I eat about 6 meals a day including my protein shakes am i going about my new diet in the correct way? I would appreciate some feedback from anyone that can help me get the results that i am looking for i want to gain about ten pounds of muscle do you think this is healthy for my size? 6'3 197 what is a good weight for me i am 21 years old . Also i have a slight gut i want to shred out a six pack and attack my abs daily anyone with any help? ---------- I would much appreciate KING KABUKI's input i have read many of your posts and have grown to respect your input---------------- Please Help!

Back