protecting your groin during chokes, in a real fight

SteelHammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me that many chokes- d'arce, von flue, possibly anaconda and peruvian necktie, etc- leave your groin open to attack by one of the opponent's arms while you are choking him. In ufc this doesn't matter, but on the street it does, to me at least, because I don't want to choke someone out and get injured in the process. Alot of people say "he's a *** if he tries to grab your balls" or "you may end up hurt but he'll end up dead", or whatever, but these are not real responses to this question at all. The point of learning a martial art, to me, is to be able to defeat an opponent without getting maimed in the process. All chokes have drawbacks, but some (e.g. guillotine with legs around him) leave both your face and groin relatively safe, while others just do not. I don't want to be eye gouged or attacked below the belt while i'm choking someone, even if for just 7 seconds. Does anyone have any tips on how to protect your groin from attack during any of the above chokes, or during some other grounded chokes? Is it usually a matter of arm control? Or is that always a risk during certain chokes? I don't have all that much grappling experience, it's just a simple question and I just want an honest answer.

IMO, hitting someone in the balls in a real fight does not hurt. There is WAY too much adrenaline flowing to even really feel pain. Unless they have the time to completely maim you ballsack while you're choking them out (which is likely they're gonna try and get your arms off them not attack your sack and even if they did, 10 seconds and theyre out), every choke is safe in a real fight.

For shits and giggles after class a friend and I tried doing eye-gouging and groing punching while we took turns choking each other.

My friend decided to tap and I passed out furiously throwing groin punches that quickly turned into taps but my friend mistook for attacks.

It seems to me that many chokes- d'arce, von flue, possibly anaconda and peruvian necktie, etc- leave your groin open to attack by one of the opponent's arms while you are choking him. In ufc this doesn't matter, but on the street it does, to me at least, because I don't want to choke someone out and get injured in the process. Alot of people say "he's a *** if he tries to grab your balls" or "you may end up hurt but he'll end up dead", or whatever, but these are not real responses to this question at all. The point of learning a martial art, to me, is to be able to defeat an opponent without getting maimed in the process. All chokes have drawbacks, but some (e.g. guillotine with legs around him) leave both your face and groin relatively safe, while others just do not. I don't want to be eye gouged or attacked below the belt while i'm choking someone, even if for just 7 seconds. Does anyone have any tips on how to protect your groin from attack during any of the above chokes, or during some other grounded chokes? Is it usually a matter of arm control? Or is that always a risk during certain chokes? I don't have all that much grappling experience, it's just a simple question and I just want an honest answer.

every time i have had my groin touched by someone else it has been a girl. maybe someday it will happen to you and you will lose this fear.

seriously though, i've never been hit in the nuts in a fight and i only kicked someone in the nuts one time and that was my first fight.

It might not hurt because of the adrenaline but i don't care so much about what hurts and what doesn't, but about what causes permanent damage and what doesn't

Protecting your groin during a choke? Just don't grip it so hard, don't do it for so long, and don't use detergent.

My friend decided to tap and I passed out furiously throwing groin punches that quickly turned into taps but my friend mistook for attacks.

lol this is one of the funnies things I've read in a while. Reminds me of something me and my cousins would try to do to each other when we would wrestle for hours. If only we had known about BJJ back then.

If for whatever reason you get into a fight that's serious enough that you need to choke someone out, your adrenaline is going to be through the roof.

I doubt anyone is going to let go of a fully locked in choke in a situation like that just because someone hits them in the balls for a few seconds before passing out.

Last edited:
Break posture of the opponent, don't curl up on him. Old BJJ and judo understood this, go check it up.

Not bashing at competitive BJJ, because competitive everything has the tendency to specialize, a lot of competitive judo moves have also lost their original roots and purpose.

Im just saying that if self-defense is your beef, try looking for self-defense or old videos.

Seriously, where are you going to be attacked? If you are at home you would probably have time to grab a weapon. You are probably only going to get into a street fight at a bar or nightclub. So, wear a cup. Not only will you be impervious to genitalia grabs, you'll look larger than life.

IMO, hitting someone in the balls in a real fight does not hurt. There is WAY too much adrenaline flowing to even really feel pain. Unless they have the time to completely maim you ballsack while you're choking them out (which is likely they're gonna try and get your arms off them not attack your sack and even if they did, 10 seconds and theyre out), every choke is safe in a real fight.

WHATTT..nah it still hurts

Seriously, where are you going to be attacked? If you are at home you would probably have time to grab a weapon. You are probably only going to get into a street fight at a bar or nightclub. So, wear a cup. Not only will you be impervious to genitalia grabs, you'll look larger than life.

you wear a cup when you go out to clubs? isn't that a little overprotective? I don't see the point. Besides, part of what martial arts is about to me is just being able to beat someone one on one without weapons but in a realistic environment where anything goes. Not that I plan on getting into streetfights, I just want to be able to win in that kind of fight, without serious injury, but also without weapons. Just because.

you wear a cup when you go out to clubs? isn't that a little overprotective? I don't see the point. Besides, part of what martial arts is about to me is just being able to beat someone one on one without weapons but in a realistic environment where anything goes. Not that I plan on getting into streetfights, I just want to be able to win in that kind of fight, without serious injury, but also without weapons. Just because.

When you have adrenaline in your system and you get hit in the nuts, it hurts AFTER the fight. Same with being hit in the solar plexus. (my experiences)

Firstly, what are your odds of being in a street fight? Pretty low. Secondly, what are your chances of getting in a street fight and going for a freakin' peruvian necktie?!? You're gonna go for a d'arce because your (probably) drunken no-skills opponent pummeled for an underhook under side control and is going to get to his knees? You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than any of that shit going down.

Firstly, what are your odds of being in a street fight? Pretty low. Secondly, what are your chances of getting in a street fight and going for a freakin' peruvian necktie?!? You're gonna go for a d'arce because your (probably) drunken no-skills opponent pummeled for an underhook under side control and is going to get to his knees? You'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than any of that shit going down.

lol.

no but mma should mimic real life fighting, shouldn't it? If a choke is not useful against an opponent who is not bound the ufc rules, because it leaves you open somewhere to injury, i'm not going to train in it, even if it works in the ring.

The only realistically threatening attack like that would be heel strikes when someone has you in an RNC. Any other kind of punching attack requires you to let go/loosen the choke and hold with one arm, so you're probably doing the other guy a favour by giving him the potential to escape if you suddenly decide a few nut-taps are in order.

The only realistically threatening attack like that would be heel strikes when someone has you in an RNC. Any other kind of punching attack requires you to let go/loosen the choke and hold with one arm, so you're probably doing the other guy a favour by giving him the potential to escape if you suddenly decide a few nut-taps are in order.

I'm confused. Are you talking about shots by the guy doing the choke? Not the guy trying to escape it?

off the top of my head, the only choke that comes to mind as risky in this respect is the standing guillotine and in that case you have more mobility so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. you may end up giving up the choke if it's not a quick finisher and you feel that your junk in in real danger, but it shouldn't be too hard to transition to your advantage. of course, you could always jump guard :D

also, tactically, in a self defense situation that went to the ground i'd think you'd move sorta like this - establish top control > punch and knee the shit outta the guy to create openings > finish with the sub or stand up and bail. if you end up pounding the guy's face before choking him his hands are absolutely gonna be engaged in defense and if he starts with the jewel heist you grab an underhook on one side and go right back to dropping elbows on his chicklets.

as unlikely as it is for someone who's being totally smashed to have the presence of mind to move away from the threat (choke) to attack somewhere else, it's definitely something we need to keep in mind on our end about being flexible as well and flowing with the go.

peruvian necktie??? Nobody is gonna land a decent ballshot from that position.

Think back to your first day in BJJ. Any choke you're in you think "how did this happen, how do i get out" so the first thing you do is turn away from the choke, tightening it. You get confused because you have no idea.

Back