Protecting Knees While Squatting...

RukshawM4st3r

Black Belt
Reaction score
Still working on my squat form and as I don't have any "knee problems" at this point I've noticed my left knee can feel funny when I'm approaching my max when squatting. I think its mostly do to poor technique. I'll try to post a video later on but what are some things that people should remember if they're trying to protect their knees in general?

Squat correctly and maybe wear knee sleeves to keep the joint warm.

Post a video. Other than that, the advice would be to squat correctly, but just because you know how to squat correctly, does not mean you will. I know this from experience.

as you go closer to your max, the more your form goes to shit.

as far as protecting your knees, google Terminal Knee Extensions and foam roll your entire lower body pre and post-WO

I don't know what your technique is like but with knee problems, meniscus in my case, you should keep your legs strong and flexible. Also I would say slow down. I mean at the speed you are actually squatting and the amount. Also if you have poor technique you probably shouldn't squat until you learn the proper technique.

Lower the weight and continue form work as needed. If you're still working on form, you have no business maxing, IMO.

position ur back slightly and just slightly forward while keeping a little arch in the lower back and hips forward, contract ur core muscles, squat 90 degrees only and squat back as if sitting on a chair not forward so that the tip of ur knee is aligned with the tip of ur shoes or toes, if u're carrying weights put the bar back not on the neck but on the upper back muscles and look forward keeping ur neck straight. ur feet could point forward or in a V direction it wont matter as long as ur knees go to the same direction as ur feet, i would recommend the V one if u have knee problems thou its just a little easier

1. Good form
2. Muscle imbalances - tke's, lunges, step-ups, band walks
3. Flexibility
4. Training smart. Don't work out with weights where your is compromised especially if you are still working your form.
5. Proper warmup I think is under rated.
6. Foam roll

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but i also have a similar problem when im just sitting around sometimes randomly my knees will get this really sharp pain in them for like a couple seconds then it will go anyone have any clue what this is?

My knees are jacked up from football and bad genetics, that said, I find that a slightly narrower stance and a very gradual pyramid are a little easier on my knees, but that might be an anomaly unique to me.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but i also have a similar problem when im just sitting around sometimes randomly my knees will get this really sharp pain in them for like a couple seconds then it will go anyone have any clue what this is?

I believe that is probably unrelated to squats. I get something similar occasionally. In fact, I had pain yesterday when I was stretching, right before squats. Did my squats, and the pain went away.

Yeah its strange when im on the rower my knees hurt sometimes i never get any knee pain tho when im squatting it just seems to come on randomly i have no clue what it is.

Back