Protech mouthguard review

So are you able to make the fangs with 3-d. Also, i know it is a little thicker if it is 3-d, but how much of that can you notice. If you have any pics of the fangs in 3-d that would be sweet. I read you did Eddie Bravo's crazy teeth and Mayhem's platinum teeth. I am going to order a guard from you just not sure which design yet. Do you have any pics of those as well.?

I did do Eddie's. I'll be seeing him tonight at 10th Planet. I'll get some pics of the guard if he brought it with him.

ok, thanks. The one arlovski wears, it is a 3-d or 2-d fang model?

fat_wilhelm said:
Tom, what does 2-D mean? Are the fangs made of mouthguard material, only flat, or are they laminated in? It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks good whatever it is.

Also, the "Fusion" is the old Biteme "Hybrid", right?

Yes. 2-D means they are flat and laminated in like a name or logo. This way of getting fangs keeps the mouthguard smooth. 3-D because they stick away from the guard can bruise the underside of your lips if you catch one to the mouth. I offer them because some people want them but in most instances let people know the possibility of lip bruising. (5% are 2-D laminated in.

I have been waiting for my Protech mouthguard for over 4 months. I received an email on May 1st (after sending a request for status) stating, "Your mouthguard is in production". I sent another request for status on 05-15-07 and received the answer "your mouthguard is almost done and will ship shortly". It is August now, I still do not have my mouthguard, and they no longer respond to emails or phone messages.

After reading the postings regarding Protech, the responses are generally the same. Quote "Gee, it took 7 months to get my mouthguard, but it is awesome, and well worth the wait". Honestly, I question the validity of these alleged claims. I have no doubt that Protech creates profiles and then does these postings themselves. Think about it, if you waited far longer that promised, was ignored, and then finally got your mouthguard, would you go out of your way to go back and create another posting stating how happy you are? That after being screwed around for so long, it was worth it because the product is that great? Maybe I am more jaded that others.

At this point, I just want a refund. There are several other companies that provide mouthguards that are of equal or better quality and do not take 5-7 months to send it to you.

Do you know why there is so much more info on Protech vs. other mouthguards. Because they piss you off by not responding and then people start posting. Just like they say, any publicity is good publicity. Those that have been smarter than I and chose to order a mouthguard from someone else, received good service, a good product, and within a reasonable time fame. Usually those that go out of their way to post about a product are those that are pissed, not those that are satisfied. This is the reason why you see more detail about Protech vs. other mouthguards.

LONG AND SHORT, DO NOT BY PROTECH UNLESS YOU PLAN TO WAIT A VERY LONG TIME. GO WITH SOMEONE ELSE THAT HAS JUST A GOOD A PRODUCT, AND WILL GET IT TO YOU IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME.

I'm really getting sick of this, people never do any research before they spend money and then they want to come and complain. fuck that. I'm not conding Tom's dissapearances, but they need to man the fuck up, just because someone 'has a company / store' does not mean they will get you your item speedily.

~Foz

We've covered this. On of G&E studied law and the warranty. The wording is such that it's near impossible to claim

TOM, IF YOU READ THIS, PLEASE EMAIL ME! [email protected]

I have had a hard time getting in touch with protech, but I saw that Tom posts here. I tried emailing [email protected], but the email got sent back. I tried to navigate the site and either I'm having a retarded day or it is an old site. Below is the text of my email.

Hello, my name is Harry. I am a BJJ student in Oakland under Eduardo Rocha, and am training for MMA as well. I know little of mouth guards other than word of mouth and horror stories. I have heard of spending $20 on flimsy regular guards, or over $400 on custom molding and stuff from dentists. First, how much do the nice protechs that I've heard about cost? Also, of the 4 types, which is best for BJJ or MMA? Is double sided necessary? I am very broke so I cant afford the dentist route, but I also dont want to shatter my teeth/jaw. Everyone says that you guys are amazing (Tom's name keeps popping up) both with questions and quality production and I want to find the right info to tell all my friends to buy the right one as well. I assume that you don't sponser white belts by the way :). So for an amateur in the ways of teeth, can you help me out with some advice and pricing? Thanks so much in advance for your time.
-Harry Evans

You are reviving a very very old thread and Protech is no more... It actually ended as one of those horror stories for a few of his customers AFAIK.

Harry Evans, please learn to do some research mate, Tom hasn't posted here since like.... the dinosaur years unfortunately.

~Foz

Harry Evans, please learn to do some research mate, Tom hasn't posted here since like.... the dinosaur years unfortunately.

~Foz

I'm curious it seems from old threads you gave Tom a lot of support and then he screwed over a rather large number of the members here, Yet you find it unfortunate that he no longer posts here. Why?

Probably because Foz didn't like the way things ended...

sorry to waste everyone's time. I tried researching them, but no info is available. Any advice on who to contact at this point? Is there another company that has popped up as the new "best mouthguards"? Also, is there a new Tom to answer my multitude of questions regarding picking out a mouthpeice for bjj and maybe mma? thanks in advance for the advice

sorry to waste everyone's time. I tried researching them, but no info is available. Any advice on who to contact at this point? Is there another company that has popped up as the new "best mouthguards"? Also, is there a new Tom to answer my multitude of questions regarding picking out a mouthpeice for bjj and maybe mma? thanks in advance for the advice

nobody consistent that comes off the top of my head.

~Foz

I'm curious it seems from old threads you gave Tom a lot of support and then he screwed over a rather large number of the members here, Yet you find it unfortunate that he no longer posts here. Why?

Tom always did right by me, but yeah the way things ended were not great for his reputation. My protech is still my best mouthguard.

~Foz

Back