Protech Dent Mouthguard

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Reviews' started by BrokenNose, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

If you are searching for a traditionally thick, tried-n-true mouthguard, this is not for you. Also, I remember hearing a while ago that Protech went down under, leaving many, many unsatisfied buyers without their guards. As far as I know, Protech DENT is not related in any way; correct me if this is wrong.

Now then, on to the mouth guard.

Mouth Guards | Protech Dent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The idea of this mouth guard is to have a comfortable, custom fit guard for very cheap. They've done a very good job for the most part. It is easy to form, very comfortable, solid, and cheap as heck.

Starting off from the beginning. No problems ordering it. Shipped and got it on the doorstep pretty quickly, I think only a couple days later. Grand total of $33.99 for both guards and shipping (they come in a pair).

Molding is it simple enough. Leave it in hot water, take it out, and form it in your mouth. They give you straight forward and simple procedures.

In the end, it will stick to your teeth. You might have to pry them out when you're done. It will form a perfect fit for the top, and mould a shape for your bottom teeth too. When I close my mouth, my jaw is locked. I can't move my teeth at all unless if I open my mouth; heck, air doesn't even escape. I have to breath through my nose with it.

Talking with it is exactly like talking with a standard retainer. It'll be funky, sound weird, but not be difficult at all. Drinking water with it is easy; I don't even notice any difficulty. I wouldn't eat with it... the gunk would get absolutely everywhere.

Some of my concerns:

-It's thin. Very thin. They say it will absorb shock very well due to the design ("crush" zones, like a car) - see images below.

-It can melt in your car. I left it in my gym bag in the car and opened it to see that it had deformed out of shape. Not too worried though. As long as it doesn't stick to itself, I can just reform it. Plus, I got a spare already done. However, I live in a desert where 110 F is normal; I think 160 F in the car.\

-If you get hit square and hard in the mouth, these can break skin. The perforations they use to reduce drooling pushes into the inner wall of your lip.

After using it for a while, I'm not worried about my teeth. The edges and corners are the most vulnerable parts of the teeth, and these are superbly reinforced in those areas. I still wouldn't spar 100% with these, since I don't know the science of guards, brain damage, etc, etc. Teeth, I'm confident. Anything else, I'm not sure.

For light sparring, or grappling, or any other non-high contact sports, it's perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Hope that helps. I've owned this thing for about a year now.

Pros:
    -Very comfortable, easy to talk, breathe, and drink in
    -Easy to custom fit, and re-fit
    -Structurally rigid; no qualms or concerns about the protection of teeth.
    -2 guards for $40

Cons:
    -Questionable protection for the brain
    -Can melt
    -Will cheese grate your inner lip if a hard shot is taken square in the mouth.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. Mitchell

Mitchell Yellow Belt

$30??? You sure?

3. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

Oh. I guess they went up $10.

I bought the pair for $30 in January.

4. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

I got a couple of them about a year ago and Im still using the same one. IMO they're pretty sweet for BJJ or grappling in general but I haven't tested it with boxing so I don't know if it would hold up or not. Mine were only about 26 dollars but again that was a year ago.

5. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

I told someone I'd post some pictures a long time ago, and I finally got around to it after reforming them (new retainer).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

7. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the difficult-to-see pictures. The lighting made it hard to see with the color of the guard. Also, the camera would focus on the wrong things, and I don't have the know-how to change that.

Though, as you can see, it is pretty thin. However, you can see along the edges of the teeth, it is structurally rigid. Imagine the strength of the triangle, and that is similar to the type of strength in these mouth guards. You can also see the imprints for the top and bottom teeth, leaving my mouth completely locked and closed off.

8. Nijoe

Nijoe White Belt

Looks like something I would like for BJJ practice, once I get my braces removed.