Prospects who looked destined for great things but never made it?

huerta aka the original sage/paige he had so much hype he was only 25 at the height of his push,was on sports illustrated magazine,was being marketed as essentially ufc's oscar dela hoya. He was 1 win away from a title shot with bj penn after 6 straight victories with a 22-1 mma record at the time and then after he lost to florian it went down hill from there.

Thatch.

Came to the UFC with a reputation of deadly striker, GSP sparingpartner who St.Pierre prepared to be the next WW champion, he was huge for the weight class and destroyed his first two opponents in unbelievable fashion.

Huge hype and we found out the dude has no ground game ,no wrestling and no cardio, he got wrestlefucked by Bendo, destroyed by Gunnar and looked like total shit against Bahadurzada . Now he's fighting for survival against newcomer, and should be glad he didn't get cut.

Also Sage&Paige. People will say that they are young and still have time but in my opinion they will never reach the top level (especially Northcutt who I think will get close to being cut soon).

Always thought Sam Stout would end up doing some serious damage. Ended up inconsistent.

true... couldnt get a win streak going for shit!! still had some good fights

Fucking Brett Rogers. That was one of the most entertaining episodes in MMA history.

He somehow got a win over Arlovski and then immediately got decapitated by Fedor. And then fought Reem and literally looked terrified at the staredown.

I just glanced at his Wiki page though and it looks like he's actually still fighting and is 4-1 in his last 5 surpisingly.

I also understand that he got at least one stoppage win over his wife a few years ago as well. So that's something, I guess.

Yeah, wife beastin' doesn't count, though. Some of the top contenders aren't even married, so there's little frame of reference when comparing fighters.
It's almost pizzling that, after he called out Kimbo, "You a hater, Roger!" didn't become a meme. I find myself still saying it sometimes.
And no clue why this video didn't way more likes

also, Houston Alexander.

Has Philippe Nover been mentioned yet??

I seem to remember Dana calling Philip Nover the next GSP

I thought Gunnar was going to be unstoppable with his ground game, but he has looked really bad from time to time and not really generated any traction.

Former wec/ufc champ? His decline has been sharp but he won the title. I'd say if you make a Wheaties box you're no longer a prospect
I agree, but not with the Wheaties thing. Who the hell even eats Wheaties anymore or even knows what it is? I guarantee 9/10 people under 30 don't even know what it is.

I'm surprised no one has brought up Tyson Griffin. His fights with Frankie, Guida, Sherk, and RDA were all incredible.

Then Gomi happened and shit got ugly after that.

He trains all the time but no fight lined up. If he fought consistently he could be a star at hw imo. Dude is a freak athlete, 250 pounds and moves like he's 190, big time power. He fights like once a year and has never built any momentum in his career.

P4P biggest glass chin in the game. He can never have success in the hw division if a strong breeze can knock him out.

P4P biggest glass chin in the game. He can never have success in the hw division if a strong breeze can knock him out.
His chin was fine til Mike Russow's hammerfist of doom cracked it. You can't blame Duffee for that.

I agree, but not with the Wheaties thing. Who the hell even eats Wheaties anymore or even knows what it is? I guarantee 9/10 people under 30 don't even know what it is.

I'd say the opposite is true. Think about it. As an adult do you eat cereal on a regular basis? I don't. Fuck I haven't had a bowl of cereal in eons lol. It's primarily marketed to kids especially something like Wheaties. I don't watch kids programming so how the hell would I know if it's a thing? I still see it at the grocery store so somebody is eating it. I doubt it's a bunch of middle-aged men. Is making the front of a box of Wheaties as big of deal as it was when I was a kid? I doubt it and it doesn't seem like it but again how would I know? I ain't a kid

Back