Prospects who looked destined for great things but never made it?

Karo is fair to say, he was an exciting prospect, considered a real contender briefly, and IIRC injuries and personal issues took a great deal of steam out of him.

But he has nothing to be ashamed of, he was a warrior for awhile. His fight with Nick Diaz was crazy good. When he was healthy and he showed up, he was a pleasure to watch compete. Clean judo and wild boxing.

Karo's problem, as I understand it, is in his head. He suffers from anxiety issues and maybe other shit, too.

He seems like an asshole honestly, but I agree he was fun to watch fight and he was repping judo in the UFC before anyone else was.

Lyoto Machida
lyoto-machida-7.jpg

Machida got the belt.

Well, after he beat Hashad there was so much hype behind him. The machida era. The enigmatic karate fighter that no one could touch yet dropping everyone like flies. GOAT LHW. All the hyperbole evaporated with the Shogun fights and the Jon Jones choke was the cherry on top of the shitpile. Machida was never the same since.

I also will admit, I thought I'd see a lot more murkin' and beastin' from Brett Rogers.

Fucking Brett Rogers. That was one of the most entertaining episodes in MMA history.

He somehow got a win over Arlovski and then immediately got decapitated by Fedor. And then fought Reem and literally looked terrified at the staredown.

I just glanced at his Wiki page though and it looks like he's actually still fighting and is 4-1 in his last 5 surpisingly.

I also understand that he got at least one stoppage win over his wife a few years ago as well. So that's something, I guess.

He was on a 7 fight winning streak and would have got a TS with a win over Siver.

I guess that's right. My bad.

0-5 in his last 5 though. Yikes. How do you win seven in a row and then lose five straight?

Eugene "The Wolf" Jackson could maybe be an appropriate name here.

He was popular before I was watching the UFC. I remember watching "Ultimate Knockouts" and he was featured in a few fights. So I looked up his record, he was hyped after showing promising KO power in his debut (UFC 21), but had a really inconsistent record. Eventually Mark Weir ended his UFC run in 2002, knocking him out in the first.

He retired at 15-9 in 2007.

this list of names could be page after page!!

some names could be ones that never got a champ belt or even a few fight win streak that would get them big fights or title shot..
the talent has grown (and MMA sport itself) sooooo much the last decade alone, could also say just in last 5 years the talent of new young fighters is HUGE!!!

Last edited:
Well, after he beat Hashad there was so much hype behind him. The machida era. The enigmatic karate fighter that no one could touch yet dropping everyone like flies. GOAT LHW. All the hyperbole evaporated with the Shogun fights and the Jon Jones choke was the cherry on top of the shitpile. Machida was never the same since.

Sadly, that much is true. He is my favorite fighter and it sucks that his reign was so short.

I'm having to come to terms with the fact that it's probably about over for him. He'll always be a legend in my eyes, though.

I thought Diego Nunes would be a long term champ but looking back I think I don't know what I was thinking.

Saffiedine, came like a beast after the Nate fight, well this year he beat Ellemberger but lost to Story

I thought Diego Nunes would be a long term champ but looking back I think I don't know what I was thinking.

Diego Nunes, good call.

4-1 in the WEC
3-3 in the UFC
0-2 in Bellator

Wow. Talk about a consistent downward spiral.

Always thought Sam Stout would end up doing some serious damage. Ended up inconsistent.

Fucking Brett Rogers. That was one of the most entertaining episodes in MMA history.

He somehow got a win over Arlovski and then immediately got decapitated by Fedor. And then fought Reem and literally looked terrified at the staredown.

rogers bloodied up fedor in that fight.... then fedor lost 3 or 4 straight fights right after!! all in strikeforce

rogers bloodied up fedor in that fight.... then fedor lost 3 or 4 straight fights right after!! all in strikeforce

I remember actually thinking that Rogers took the first round.

Back