Prospects who looked destined for great things but never made it?

G

Guestx

I was thinking today about some of the biggest prospects that ultimately just didn't have what it took to be among the best in the world. I'm talking guys who seemed to have a lot of potential but for whatever reason just never became championship calibur.

A few guys who come to mind:

Jordan Mien - The dude looked like a killer in Strikeforce and had some solid first rounds against tough veterans in the UFC, but after a few losses he quit. Now he's back but looked pretty poor in his last fight.

Roger Huerta - I always liked him and his war with Guida will go down in history as a must-watch fight, but he lost to Kenflo and Maynard and left the UFC. Since leaving he went 3-6. His last win was a split decision against a guy who doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Erick Silva - The guy looks awesome against low-to-mid level talent but against higher level guys he just can't seem to put it all together. Like Mien he's had some good first rounds against top guys but he always fades. He's still young though so maybe he can turn the ship around.

Thoughts on these guys? And who can you add to the list?

Uriah Hall on TUF derailed hard

Not Lando and

Mike Perry (jk - he's just begining)

How about Todd Duffy?

Erick Silva

Edit: Did not read OP and I will apologize, for nothing.

I expected Tamdan to make waves upon his UFC return.

Boy have I been very wrong.

Uriah Hall on TUF derailed hard

Hall's a good example. Like Silva though, I still think there's time for him to improve. Maybe he can become the fighter we thought he might be.

Damacio Page,Drew Mcfedries

I expected Tamdan to make waves upon his UFC return.

Boy have I been very wrong.

Agreed. Maybe this is just a rough patch for him.

Remember Dustin Hazelett? I remember he and Tamdan were coming up around the same time. He looked like he might go somewhere and then he just didappeared.

Cody Bollinger

He was the 16 year old phenom future champ back before Rory Mac and Super Sage.

Justin Lawrence is another good one... Though I think he's doing better now.

Melvin Guillard
Jim Miller

I'd say both those guys have been pretty successful and carved out long-term careers for themselves. Miller more than Guillard.

I remember Guillard looked like he could be heading for a title shot back when he was on that run where he knocked out Dunham and Roller. I was really rooting for him.

Jason black
Evan dunham
Krystof the polish experiment
Karo Parisian maybe
Jeremy Stephan's

Back