1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Props to DJ

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by chinarice, Aug 5, 2018.

1. chinarice

chinarice Gold Belt

I have always bagged on DJ for how good he allegedly was, based on competition he fought and that it was never particular enjoyable to watch most of his fights.

I wanted so badly for Cejudo to beat DJ then the fight ended and Cejudo was claimed new champ but it didn't sit well with me because I don't feel like DJ was actually beaten for his belt (due to how close the fight was)... I felt the same with TJ losing his belt to Dom.

The guy defended his belt more than anyone in ufc history and it is too bad his reign ended on a fight he arguably won.

This fight was actually pretty exciting to watch from beginning to end, which I guess could maybe be attributed to Cejudo actually belonging in there, unlike most of the FLWs.

Dude lost a very close decision, title reign down the drain and he took it as good as anyone could have in his post fight interview.

I'll never particularly be a DJ fan but he definitely deserves the acknowledgement of being one of the best fighters ever.

rearnakedchoke, MGS, Sole and 2 others like this.
  2. Arrrrgh

Arrrrgh Purple Belt

I generally agree. I am a DJ fan though. My thing is, I think Henry won -- it was close but rd2 was the one up for grabs and a 4 significant strike edge isn't enough to make up for a takedown and control. Live I thought the round was close but I think my bias was giving it to DJ.

I'd love to see the rematch but I want more time to pass because Henry is just getting better and better and still developing. Give him his 135 money fight and give DJ a fight to try out some new things then bang time.

3. Dark Individual

Dark Individual GOAT of all GOATS

Props to DJ for successfully ducking TJ. Nobody wants to see that fight anymore.

GraveyardFilla likes this.
  4. jayo2k

jayo2k Brown Belt

Finally no more money talk...

5. jayo2k

jayo2k Brown Belt

Finally no more money talk...

6. D'z

D'z Brown Belt

Yeah, usually you have to decisively beat the champ for the belt to change hands....This, wasn't that.

7. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

I think it was

I also thought Dj lost 4 rounds in that fight and the only thing makes it close is that the champ always gets spotted a lot of points in a decision

8. Siesta

Siesta Brown Belt

He is very skilled and has a lot of accomplishments, but I can’t watch flyweight. I hope everyone else can enjoy it.

9. D'z

D'z Brown Belt

Yeah, usually you have to decisively beat the champ for the belt to change hands....This, wasn't that.

MGS likes this.
  10. 91 seconds

91 seconds Disposable Hero

Would DJ have kept the belt if his name was Conor McGregor or Brock Lesnar? I didn't see the fight, just curious but I don't really need the answer.

I'm one of those guys where you really have to outwork the champ to take his belt from him. Fighting top contender after top contender. I know the TJ ordeal and how they don't like the guy that much, it's why rankings really don't hold a precedent in any weight class. Being a reigning champ doesn't automatically get you a rematch either as Aldo proved.

11. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Brown Belt

WHAAAAAAA???? U need eye surgery...or lessons in how mma is scored u pick but in no world did dj lose 4 rnds

12. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

if you say so

13. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Brown Belt

Ok..humour me how did you score the fight and why for each round..

Heres my breakdown.

Round 1. Dj wins..effective striking doing damage from range.

Round 2 . Henry got the takedown and was able to control to end the round..tried ground and pounding but no damage..dj did well on the feet but couldn't get up

Round 3. Dj..effectively out struck henry and defended takedowns attempts with nice rolls and get ups..

Rounds 4..henrys was about to again get a takedown with some control and landed alittle more evenly with dj in meaningfull shots wise

Rounds 5.. Dj defended almost all takedowns and got right back up when taken down and out struck henry with big bodyshots and punches..

3 rounds to 2 .dJ victory

Your turn ill wait.