Props to Dana and co. for giving Melendez the title shot. It's the right thing to do.

i'm weird (compared to most of sherdog) about title shots. i don't give a fuck if it is or isn't the "right" thing to do. most of the time i'm ok with the matchups, and don't get hellbent on who DIDN'T get the shot.

but i like Gil v Ben. i'll watch it.

Same here. The fact you will see multiple names being thrown out at the same time for who deserves the next shot is very telling. Rankings in MMA are a joke in the first place.

I didn't say that there's a clear cut contender.

There's a fight currently booked between contenders and Maynard is set to return early this year.

Barring injuries, the winner of that fight would be ready to fight Ben on this card. Now they'll have to take another fight in the interim and if the rumors about Alvarez's contract are true then things get worse for them.

Frankly Maynard had two shots at the title, then has only won a single fight in a weird, close decision to Guida since. He is exactly one fight from being knocked clean out in a title bid.

No, Gray is not in the title hunt, he is in a rebuilding phase.

Pettis got dominated by Guida two fights ago - he then eeks past Jeremy Stephens with a split decision, and stops Lauzon. Getting dominated by Guida and beating two unranked guys doesn't put you in immediate contention.

Cerrone isn't a legitamate contender right now either since Nate beat the brakes off him two fights ago.

Gil is on a streak, and in this sport that matters.

I want Pettis to win against Ceronne. I feel Pettis has yet to play a role in the big scheme of things. Should he win he should fight the winner of Benson vs Melendez.

I've always been intrigued by the story of Benson and Pettis. The latter beats down Benson in the final rounds. They head to the big show where the loser learns from that title loss and succeeds greatly in the big show, while the champ goes down hill with a loss.

It's weird, but I really want to see Pettis get a shot, the whole "I beat your ass back in WEC and I can do it again" thing is fucking interesting.

Melendez will get abused by Edgar, Maynard, Henderson, Nate, Cerrone, possibly even Guida... The faster he gets his ass beat the better..

Frankly Maynard had two shots at the title, then has only won a single fight in a weird, close decision to Guida since. He is exactly one fight from being knocked clean out in a title bid.

No, Gray is not in the title hunt, he is in a rebuilding phase.

Pettis got dominated by Guida two fights ago - he then eeks past Jeremy Stephens with a split decision, and stops Lauzon. Getting dominated by Guida and beating two unranked guys doesn't put you in immediate contention.

Cerrone isn't a legitamate contender right now either since Nate beat the brakes off him two fights ago.

Gil is on a streak, and in this sport that matters.
First of all, I have no problem with Gil Melendez getting a Title Shot. It's the efficient way the UFC could maximize any value that Gil has.
I enjoy your posts. Usually, they are thoughtful and fairly unbiased.
However, as a Maynard advocate, I take issue with several mischaracterizations that you've made.
Maynard has NEVER been "knocked clean out". I assume you refer to Maynard/Edgar 3. It is a TKO by Referee Stoppage for failure to defend; a good call. He was conscious at all times and suffered no damage.
You refer to the Guida fight as if it was somehow a failure on Maynard's part. When a fighter, Guida, is willing to risk a timidity call, loss of reputation and shame in order to avoid engaging an opponent, why would you disparage the willing opponent?
And "rebuilding"? I will assume that the term is innocuous enough. Even though Gray has wins over the same fighters that Ben has, 4 currently ranked Top Ten opponents. They are Edgar, Diaz, Miller and Guida.
I may have overreacted as to your posts intent. However, with all due respect, have I?

Fighting in strikeforce shouldn't get him anything. He has beaten subpar fighters while people in the UFC have been going against much much stiffer competition. I don't think Melendez is better than Jim miller, for example. Having a big win streak in another org should not get you a title shot. See shields, jake.

First of all, I have no problem with Gil Melendez getting a Title Shot. It's the efficient way the UFC could maximize any value that Gil has.
I enjoy your posts. Usually, they are thoughtful and fairly unbiased.
However, as a Maynard advocate, I take issue with several mischaracterizations that you've made.

Maynard has NEVER been "knocked clean out". I assume you refer to Maynard/Edgar 3. It is a TKO by Referee Stoppage for failure to defend; a good call. He was conscious at all times and suffered no damage.
You refer to the Guida fight as if it was somehow a failure on Maynard's part. When a fighter, Guida, is willing to risk a timidity call, loss of reputation and shame in order to avoid engaging an opponent, why would you disparage the willing opponent?

And "rebuilding"? I will assume that the term is innocuous enough. Even though Gray has wins over the same fighters that Ben has, 4 currently ranked Top Ten opponents. They are Edgar, Diaz, Miller and Guida.
I may have overreacted as to your posts intent. However, with all due respect, have I?

I am most definitely not a Maynard hater, he's one of the best LW's in the world and I like very much how his style has progressed into a boxer-wrestler. He's also willing to sit down on his punches and land something heavy as opposed to be a kick boxer, and LNP is well behind him. I am a Maynard fan.

Both Fight Finder (Sherdog) and Wikipedia list his loss to Edgar as "KO - punches" so I disagree that it was a TKO, so far as assuming the people who generally maintain this type of data got it right.

I went back to double check my memory and he most definitely did get knocked down, face first like a sack of potatoes and his head bounced off the canvas. The follow up punches were academic

edgar-kos-maynard.gif

Guida fought like a mental patient, and Gray made a gutsy accounting of himself by doing what he did (taking punches, pulling guard for a sub) but the result was the result. He got a underwhelming decision in an awkward fight. That can't put you immediately back to contention after two failed attempts.

He needs his next fight to reestablish himself in the division and one after that to earn another title shot, depending on how things shuffle around.

Gil, deserves it. How the hell are people even arguing for Maynard? I understand the Pettis argument but he's been out for so long with injury it's stalled his momentum. Plus Gil/Bendo in April doesn't stop Pettis vs Gil/Bendo from happening in August.

Basically the Ufc chose the possibility of two great title shots over 1.

100% the right thing to do

Melendez will get abused by Edgar, Maynard, Henderson, Nate, Cerrone, possibly even Guida... The faster he gets his ass beat the better..

Well I doubt he will fight Nate...both Caeser guys....but the rest of the post....WOW...just WOW

Yeah, because if there's someone who can predict MMA it's a poster named Brocktober who says things like...

no one has been able to take down jds not even carwin..pudgy cain's chances dont look to good either.. jds by ko again

I think it was the right thing to do as well. It should be a great fight!

I'm very glad this fight is happening. Melendez has earned this shot.

This just goes to show that it is not worth starting in the UFC and working your way up to a title fight. It is much better to goto a 2nd or 3rd rate promotion and get wins so that you get an immediate title shot when you come over.

Got a good chuckle out of that jokester who posted the Aoki picture suggesting he's in the discussion of the top LWs...

Back