Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot

And they don't have to send us a dime of their tax revenue.

Now they have no water, you have no roads, and nobody has any fruit. Great fucking plan.

Except in the map the silicon valley AND all of the water would be in Nor Cal. Northern California would be by far the most prosperous new California.

Except in the map the silicon valley AND all of the water would be in Nor Cal. Northern California would be by far the most prosperous new California.
Yeah, that's the problem.

First, Silicon Valley isn't that profitable, relatively. A mere 5 counties that would all be (mostly) in the new "California" are responsible for a little over half our state's GDP ($2.7tn). Silicon Valley has a GDP of ~250bn.

But the real problem is that the new "Southern California" is screwed in this plan. They're left with arid desert, little industry, and a major population gap if my eyeball serves me. Nobody down there is going to vote for this. Nobody in California is going to vote for this. This is a NorCal Tea Party pipe dream.

Remember, this then has to go be approved by Congress.

It's so unrealistic it would be like jointly filing, as a Proposition on our November ballot, a "Yes" or "No" vote to send 69-69-69-69-69-69 with a massive state tax expenditure to the Super Lotto with our fingers crossed.

Norcal (especially the bay area) and socal should be split. They are so different. Also many bay area firms are beginning to realizs that norcal and its extreme politics is detrimental for continuing the business friendly enviorement in the area. That is why google is spending billions building in LA and socal.

???

Isn't the bay area the home of the 'tax business' liberals and militant unions?

But I think Texas had an exemptions when it joined the US. I dunno I think it was about it being big, as well as being a sovereign nation as well

I remember reading that as well.

Yeah, that's the problem.

First, Silicon Valley isn't that profitable, relatively. A mere 5 counties that would all be (mostly) in the new "California" are responsible for a little over half our state's GDP ($2.7tn). Silicon Valley has a GDP of ~250bn.

But the real problem is that the new "Southern California" is screwed in this plan. They're left with arid desert, little industry, and a major population gap if my eyeball serves me. Nobody down there is going to vote for this. Nobody in California is going to vote for this. This is a NorCal Tea Party pipe dream.

Remember, this then has to go be approved by Congress.

It's so unrealistic it would be like jointly filing, as a Proposition on our November ballot, a "Yes" or "No" vote to send 69-69-69-69-69-69 with a massive state tax expenditure to the Super Lotto with our fingers crossed.

I agree that it's not going to happen. As much as I hate So Cal and wish it wasn't part of California I wouldn't vote for this. It's an attempt by an ultra rich conservative to make California more competitive for republicans and it hurts one of the most republican part of California, the So Cal agriculture industry.

Sort of like Gerrymandering. It's drawn that way for a reason and it was drawn by a republican.

So we're gerrymandering state borders now? How long will it take for Republicans to try to draw all of the black people in America into 1 state?

So we're gerrymandering state borders now? How long will it take for Republicans to try to draw all of the black people in America into 1 state?

It sort of looks that way. It's never going to pass though.

This would mess up the national flag, so it won't happen.

Why 3. Why don't they just split it into 2. Northern and Southern. A Bit more manageable

I think I'll vote yes on the split. I mean, it can't get any worse than it already is now.

Thanks. Maybe it's real then

New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-great-divide/

Just a guess, but if Cali ever splits Texas might consider this option

So California might decide they want to be 3 states, and the rest of the US just has to accept it? I don't get it, why does California think they have so much power?

While we're at it, we might as well kick Florida out. They're practically Cuba anyway. Just with less communism and more meth.

If California decides to split three ways then we should promptly kick Florida out and merge the Dakotas into one state (they're not important enough to differentiate anyway).

Then we could keep the 50 stars on the flag, which is the most important issue here if we're being real.

Do I really need to explain this?
You said...

California has 55 electoral votes. That's the most of any state whatsoever, and that's the purpose of this proposal.

So if the electoral college wasn't winner take all, then the state size wouldn't matter. Already sort of discussed in the thread. In other words, your problem is with the electoral college not so much the size of the state.

It is, that is why firms are starting to move south

Surely I'm missing something in your post. They may have better infrastructure for shipping, workforce, etc., but businesses don't typically like to be taxed or strong-armed by unions.

Back