Proper front kick technique?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by metallifan3091, Sep 16, 2010.

1. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 Green Belt

Sorry if there's a thread on this already. I used the Search and looked through like 10 pages of results, and I couldn't find anything. If there is, please post a link to it in here, if you'd be so kind.

I'm looking for a video that displays proper front kicking technique from the rear leg, and from the front leg. I'm not looking for a teep or any variation on a teep; I'm looking for a front kick that is intended as a strike, not as a pushing kick. I looked around on Youtube, and all the good videos I could find were for push kicks; there were a bunch of karate and TKD style front kick vids, but they either a) didn't show it from the front leg and the rear leg b) didn't show very good technique, or c) fit both a) and b). Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Inquisitus

Inquisitus Blue Belt

These two;

this one for the mechanics

this to show how to make it thump

this one for KK style and some front leg.

Frankly, the front leg front kick isn't really that great for thumping.

3. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 Green Belt

Thanks man. Those are perfect. They do a great job of showing the kicks in action, and showing the mechanics slowly and at speed. Much appreciated. I know that the front leg front kick isn't exactly the greatest kick ever, but it's not a bad thing to learn to do anyway, if only to control distance and occasionally attack the knees of an opponent.

4. CharmingCritic

CharmingCritic Orange Belt

why would you use a front kick to control distance over a teep?

5. Inquisitus

Inquisitus Blue Belt

TS said he wanted front kicks for thumping, not controlling distance.

You don't use front kicks to control distance in karate in the same manner that MT uses teeps. You use them as power strikes meant to finish the fight.

6. Hojo undo

Hojo undo White Belt

And to be honest. If you have mastered the mechanics behind a proper mae-geri and its two main variations: Kiage och kikome. (That would be as a powerkick OR pushingly) learning the muay thai teep is really an easy task. From my experience Kyokushinkais have an easier time since in for example Shotokan (I can only reflect upon my own experience according to the JKA syllabys to 1th Kyu) they focus ONLY on the powerkicking version. Which probably means that you will have to put more effort into reprogramming yourself into performing a proper teep. Mostly because a shotokankai is hardwired to '''whip'' the kick. Like a jab or punch for example.

7. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Just so you know a Teep is a front kick, it is just the Thai term for it and it can be used to do a lot more than just push people away. A lot of folks just never bother to learn to do more than push people away with it.

8. surfer dude

surfer dude Blue Belt

That is incorrect. It is snap and thrust, and a thrust front kick definitely does not feel like a push kick when done properly. It can send someone backwards somewhat like the push kick does, but it is a more penetrating strike.