Proof that Rocky Marcianos best rivals were stronger than Mike Tysons

Exactly, so aint nobody that could use the age against him.. He was clearly still a VERY good fighter in excellent shape.
He was the heavy underdog too due to his age. And what is one of the first things to go with age - punch resistance and what happened to him in the fight that he was winning?

Yeah so why would we presume he'd do well against the behemoth modern fighters? Why would either of them do well against modern fighters. Deontay Wilder, Mike Tyson and Holyfield are all considered small modern HW's but they were all 210lbs plus. How is a 185lb'er going to compete?

That's not what the thread is about.

That's not what the thread is about.
Yes it is because you are trying to compare Tyson's opponents to Marciano's opponent but not taking the big size difference of Tyson era fighter's into account. Loads of 80's fighters who weren't the top 3 would beat the elite of yester year because of their size advantage.

Yes it is because you are trying to compare Tyson's opponents to Marciano's opponent but not taking the big size difference of Tyson era fighter's into account. Loads of 80's fighters who weren't the top 3 would beat the elite of yester year because of their size advantage.

So you think James Tillis would beat the Ezzard Charles who fought Marciano?

And besides, if you don't think they belong in the same weight division, you compare them relative to their division not to each other. Just like you don't compare Mayweathers opponents to Tysons head to head, since it would make no sense.

So you think James Tillis would beat the Ezzard Charles who fought Marciano?
Lets take the opponents you picked for Tyson: Biggs, Tirrell and Tucker. I think they all would have beaten Charles.

Lets take the opponents you picked for Tyson: Biggs, Tirrell and Tucker. I think they all would have beaten Charles.

Fascinating. Yet they didn't beat one great fighter in their own era.

ezzard charles was only a couple of pounds lighter than marciano, who was also a blown up middle by your standards.
Ezzard being a middleweight is a fact.. The first whole half of his career was at MW and LHW. He bulked to HW for money.

Marciano competed only at HW all his career. And that is a fact(He was never a MW)

Even after all that bulking Ezzard was still lighter than the average fighting weight of that era.

These are not anybody's standards or opinions, these are facts...

Ezzard being a middleweight is a fact.. The first whole half of his career was at MW and LHW. He bulked to HW for money.

Marciano competed only at HW all his career. And that is a fact(He was never a MW)

Even after all that bulking Ezzard was still lighter than the average fighting weight of that era.

These are not anybody's standards or opinions, these are facts...
thats nice. the "fack" is marciano was always a 190lb heavyweight. you know why? because he could. he was the best fist fighter in to world and he weighted 190lbs, he is ten times the fighter tyson could have even dreamed of been. just grin and bare it or pull your blouse up and far cough.

One thing is for sure, they wouldn't fight Schwarz and Wallin back-to-back while claiming to be the best HW on the planet.

Someone remind me how old Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe were when Marciano beat them, and what stage of their careers they were at?

Someone remind me how old Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe were when Marciano beat them, and what stage of their careers they were at?
do you actually think tyson was a better fighter than marciano? he was bigger and a lot faster but he had nothing on the rock.

Fascinating. Yet they didn't beat one great fighter in their own era.
I would have picked them over any good LHW of their time. Remember that's what Charles was a good LHW.

I would have picked them over any good LHW of their time. .

Again, if Rockys division would have been a LHW division today, it doesn't invalidate the fact that his opposition as LHW is better than Tysons as HW. Or do you in fact argue against that as well?

Ezzard was 33 and an active fighter. Wallcott was 37 and had just won the titel. Compare that to Holmes who was 38 and inactive. There is no comparison.

Again, if Rockys division would have been a LHW division today, it doesn't invalidate the fact that his opposition as LHW is better than Tysons as HW. Or do you in fact argue against that as well?
So you are totally dismissing that weight divisions exist for a reason? This isn't who is the best P4P this is who would win in a fight when they are competing in the same weight division. You can't compare small HW's of the past with today's behemoth HW's. Usyk was a CW arguably one of the best all time who is now competing at HW and people are questioning if he can handle the bigger HW's. But for some reason you think Marciano who was even smaller would handle it with no problems. If we took 248lb Dillian Whyte who is a top 5 fighter at HW and put him in against the best LHW's of today what do you think would happen? It would be a fucking slaughter. Andre Ward who is probably the best LHW of all time would have do well to survive against Dillian Whyte. And I'd put a lot of money on Ward to beat Marciano pretty fucking easily.

Last edited:
thats nice. the "fack" is marciano was always a 190lb heavyweight. you know why? because he could. he was the best fist fighter in to world and he weighted 190lbs, he is ten times the fighter tyson could have even dreamed of been. just grin and bare it or pull your blouse up and far cough.
... I have no idea what you are on about but Middleweight upper limit is 20 pounds below 190 if you're new to boxing.

Nobody is judging how good Marciano was or how good Charles was.

But it is a fact that Ezzard actually competed at MW then LHW as a fully grown adult... If you believe Rocky could cut as low as 160 you're basically groundlessly guessing. He is not a mw! Maybe could cut down to 175, but less sounds like a stretch.

Back