Proof of why banning assault rifles = agenda for all guns

fifty.jpg

But Obama doesn't think law abiding citizens should own scary looking firearms.

Not angry, but if thinking that helps you and your world view maintain some semblance of balance thenhave at it !

Fact is , you took liberties with your speech , as evidenced by the fact that you had to come back and tweak things........twice.

I disagree. I also want to apologize for getting heated. I'd rather try and keep things civil.

The very title of this thread suggests that the government is planning to ban ALL guns. They are not. Not a single piece of legislation has suggested anything remotely close. No one is confiscated firearms either. Not to mention, the NRA is one of the strongest lobby groups in this country.

I disagree. I also want to apologize for getting heated. I'd rather try and keep things civil.

The very title of this thread suggests that the government is planning to ban ALL guns. They are not. Not a single piece of legislation has suggested anything remotely close. No one is confiscated firearms either. Not to mention, the NRA is one of the strongest lobby groups in this country.

Thanks, ditto on the tone of my post.

The position in this post is much more nuanced and a perfectly reasonable opinion , something you couldn't possibly relate with a fly by one liner.

I think it's pretty self evident that there's wide spectrum of opinion on the gun question in this country. It's also no stretch to deduce that after lots of attempts at addressing the " gun question " (many that haven't stuck) that the astute anti person has probably realized that showing one's hand doesn't advance the cause. If it's gonna change its going to be incremental. You honestly don't think anyone in the US government would like to see Australian style controls here.........nobody?

Thanks, ditto on the tone of my post.

The position in this post is much more nuanced and a perfectly reasonable opinion , something you couldn't possibly relate with a fly by one liner.

I think it's pretty self evident that there's wide spectrum of opinion on the gun question in this country. It's also no stretch to deduce that after lots of attempts at addressing the " gun question " (many that haven't stuck) that the astute anti person has probably realized that showing one's hand doesn't advance the cause. If it's gonna change its going to be incremental. You honestly don't think anyone in the US government would like to see Australian style controls here.........nobody?

We never had firearms for common self defence, so no, I really can't see the US implementing Australian style firearms laws.
The circumstances diverged way too much, way too long ago.
Even the simple restriction on semi-auto centrefire rifles required a buy back that would be unthinkable in the US.
The US lobbyists (on both sides) might point to Australia, but there's really no parallel.

We never had firearms for common self defence, so no, I really can't see the US implementing Australian style firearms laws.
The circumstances diverged way too much, way too long ago.
Even the simple restriction on semi-auto centrefire rifles required a buy back that would be unthinkable in the US.
The US lobbyists (on both sides) might point to Australia, but there's really no parallel.
Again, you're kind of giving an answer to a question that I'm not asking. I didn't ask if you personally thought , nor did I insinuate Australian style control was imminent. My question is do you suppose that anyone that matters would like to see us there or not?

Again, you're kind of giving an answer to a question that I'm not asking. I didn't ask if you personally thought , nor did I insinuate Australian style control was imminent. My question is do you suppose that anyone that matters would like to see us there or not?

My point was, when people say, "Australian style controls" they have no idea what they are actually talking about. In American politics they say, "like Australia" and then just talk about whatever their particular fantasy happens to be.

My point was, when people say, "Australian style controls" they have no idea what they are actually talking about. In American politics they say, "like Australia" and then just talk about whatever their particular fantasy happens to be.

Point taken.
Question :
If someone had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo in regards to private ownership of firearms in this country ( US) there'd be essentially no use in concerning oneself with the discourse on this issue? You consider it settled?

Point taken.
Question :
If someone had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo in regards to private ownership of firearms in this country ( US) there'd be essentially no use in concerning oneself with the discourse on this issue? You consider it settled?

It's unlikely to ever be settled, but things have swung dramatically in favour of 2A rights haven't they?
It's not like you've had Californian style gun control creeping across the nation. Just the opposite.
The paranoid victim complex just doesn't fit with the enormous power of the pro-gun lobby in the US.

It's unlikely to ever be settled, but things have swung dramatically in favour of 2A rights haven't they?
It's not like you've had Californian style gun control creeping across the nation. Just the opposite.
The paranoid victim complex just doesn't fit with the enormous power of the pro-gun lobby in the US.

Maybe the "paranoid victim complex " has something to do with these in roads? What do you think would happen in the resultant vacuum of nobody concerning themselves with pushing back against people that would limit gun rights?

You essentially say " it'll never be settled " in one breath and " don't worry about it , you've won already " in the next.

Why would you abandon something thats been working as you say?

Maybe the "paranoid victim complex " has something to do with these in roads? What do you think would happen in the resultant vacuum of nobody concerning themselves with pushing back against people that would limit gun rights?

You essentially say " it'll never be settled " in one breath and " don't worry about it , you've won already " in the next.

Why would you abandon something thats been working as you say?

I'm not saying, "don't worry about it". I think it's good that you've got political representation and increasing rates of participation.
I'm saying this idea that gun owners in the US are an oppressed group, under imminent threat from your government, is laughable (ie the thread topic).
Given that strength and success, how long can you successfully keep playing this paranoid victim card?

I'm not saying, "don't worry about it". I think it's good that you've got political representation and increasing rates of participation.
I'm saying this idea that gun owners in the US are an oppressed group, under imminent threat from your government, is laughable (ie the thread topic).
Given that strength and success, how long can you successfully keep playing this paranoid victim card?

I don't think I've personally played the "paranoid victim card " itt. I cited an a very well know example of an aggressive anti gun rights politician when asked to and gave my reasons/take on why being vigilant was neccesary.

What exactly does dropping the " paranoid victim card " involve in practice to you?

I don't think I've personally played the "paranoid victim card " itt. I cited an a very well know example of an aggressive anti gun rights politician when asked to and gave my reasons/take on why being vigilant was neccesary.

What exactly does dropping the " paranoid victim card " involve in practice to you?

That's the entire way in which 2A activism is approached in the US as far as I've seen. Paranoid rants about gun grabbers and the oppressive government.
Every US firearm blog, forum, youtube video, activist statement etc always portrays gun owners as victims, rather than the stronger party. Never mentions the constant string of victories, always scaremongering. You're exporting reality TV shows about gun stores and gun customisation to the rest of the world, firing machine guns and artillery, while whinging about how oppressed gun owners are in the US.

That's the entire way in which 2A activism is approached in the US as far as I've seen. Paranoid rants about gun grabbers and the oppressive government.
Every US firearm blog, forum, youtube video, activist statement etc always portrays gun owners as victims, rather than the stronger party. Never mentions the constant string of victories, always scaremongering. You're exporting reality TV shows about gun stores and gun customisation to the rest of the world, firing machine guns and artillery, while whinging about how oppressed gun owners are in the US.

You're just making the same observations over and over again. I'm just curious how you'd like to see it done differently.....more apathy.....treat any and all new discussion of rolling things back as unworthy of acknowledgment ? Are you just venting here? Because it kinda Sounds like you're venting.

You're just making the same observations over and over again. I'm just curious how you'd like to see it done differently.....more apathy.....treat any and all new discussion of rolling things back as unworthy of acknowledgment ? Are you just venting here? Because it kinda Sounds like you're venting.

No, I'm just addressing the thread content. It's more of the same. ...and you asked me to spell out what I meant by playing the paranoid victim card.
Personally I don't really care much what you do, I just don't think playing the victim is going to keep working forever in the face of so much success.
Then again, Americans seem to have a fairly limitless capacity for lapping up identity politics.

Back