Proof of MMA excellence can only be attained in the UFC

Yeah, remember when Werdum 'got cut' because he lost to a new guy in the UFC? That was JDS. Then he fought in Strikeforce and beat Fedor which proved that Fedor was overrated seeing as he lost to someone that couldn't handle the UFC competition. Now Werdum is back in the UFC, has beaten the last 4 guys they've put in front of him and is fighting for the title.

So yeah, Tito winning last night definitely proves something. I'm just not sure what.

He could be elite. We can't know until we see him fight the best in the world (which are in the UFC)

I think that may always be debated though... I would also be kidding myself if I claimed any other organization had as much collective talent as the UFC... but I don't think simply being a UFC fighter qualifies you as one of the best.

...there was a UFC card in San Jose where Josh Thomson ( former Strikeforce champ) ko'd Nate Diaz.

Daniel Cormier (Strikeforce GP winner) beat Frank Mir.

And Gilbert Melendez (Strikeforce LW Champ) arguably was robbed by Benson Henderson.

I think the best in the world are simply the best in the world, they could be anywhere... both in and out of the UFC.

He could be elite. We can't know until we see him fight the best in the world (which are in the UFC)

That's part of the problem, IMO.
The assumption that fighters are better JUST because they're in the UFC.

I made a thread once back in the old WEC days suggesting that Benson, Cerrone, Varner, and Pettis may all be Top 10 fighters and got laughed off of this board.

I made a thread once back in the old WEC days suggesting that Benson, Cerrone, Varner, and Pettis may all be Top 10 fighters and got laughed off of this board.

Exactly.

I stuck up for Strikeforce fighters and people were like "Melendez and Thomson would not even be competitive in the UFC"...

We live in a world where a Bellator champion might fail to get into the TUF house and the PRIDE GP champion gets KO'd by Gabriel Gonzaga or submitted by Forrest Griffin.

There's too much emphasis put on the organization and not the fighter themselves.

I also got made fun of for supporting UFC fighters in 2004 and 2005, I was told it was a garbage organization and a joke.

... then we bought PRIDE :X

Destroyed by a man with over 30 pounds advantage, :rolleyes:, sure that was a great "proof" of the greatnes of UFC

What UFC top 10 MW would not beat Tito?

Weidman, Jacare, Anderson, Belfort, Rockhold, Kennedy, Munoz, Phillipou, Carmont, Mousassi, Romero, hell even Tim Boetch would probably beat him.

when was the last time Tito actually got on top of someone in the cage? He's most dangerous when he's on top, i think schlemenko was hurting him in the stand up.

but LOL @ chandler, people were saying he could beat any UFC fighter.

Young prospects are coming out of nowhere all over the place, and could beat many top end MMA fighters if given the opportunity... They just aren't given the opportunity often.

Hell, that's how Chandler got his name to begin with.

And Tito/Shlemenko was a freakshow fight. Was straight up PRIDE matchmaking... Nothing wrong with that, just don't take anything away from it other then entertainment.

This ^^^^

The mma landscape has changed drastically with the UFC absorbing WEC and Strikeforce. The UFC has the most of the top talent now.

UFC fighters are so good that some LW's from a minor league WEC came in and destroyed the top UFC lw's

UFC fighters are so good that they needed old washed up fighters from PRIDE to use as food for the "new breed" ALL WHILE trying to discredit PRIDE fighters resumes cause of yakuza influence.

What UFC top 10 MW would not beat Tito?

Weidman, Jacare, Anderson, Belfort, Rockhold, Kennedy, Munoz, Phillipou, Carmont, Mousassi, Romero, hell even Tim Boetch would probably beat him.

What about Bader? Would he beat Tito too?

Yeah, remember when Werdum 'got cut' because he lost to a new guy in the UFC? That was JDS. Then he fought in Strikeforce and beat Fedor which proved that Fedor was overrated seeing as he lost to someone that couldn't handle the UFC competition. Now Werdum is back in the UFC, has beaten the last 4 guys they've put in front of him and is fighting for the title.

So yeah, Tito winning last night definitely proves something. I'm just not sure what.

And before Werdum lost to JDS, he also lost to Arlovski. Fedor KO'd Arlovski, but then lost to Werdum; and that was because Werdum was top competition but Arlovski was not... none of this makes sense to me.

Destroyed by a man with over 30 pounds advantage, :rolleyes:, sure that was a great "proof" of the greatnes of UFC

I would have sworn Lesnar had thirty pounds on Cain.

You think Big Country could topple Jones?

This comment also makes me confused in how Bigfoot Silva isn't the champion, he is huge...

I would have sworn Lesnar had thirty pounds on Cain.

You think Big Country could topple Jones?

This comment also makes me confused in how Bigfoot Silva isn't the champion, he is huge...
Lesnar did use his size with great success against Couture. I don't think anyone would argue that Lesnar was a better fighter than Couture when they fought, he just happened to have a huge size advantage.

Perhaps not, but losing to a much bigger fighter doesn't disprove that either.

Nobody on the planet is an elite mma fighter until they prove otherwise. Schlemenko hasnt proven it and he cant prove it fighting bellator level competition.

How people can defend this? He lost to Tito Ortiz, an old man that was slow as hell, they both weighted in the same in the fight night. Anderson used to move up to LHW and toy guys there. Chael Sonnen moved up and submitted a former champion in the first round.

He lost to Tito Fucking Ortiz, who was barely training. Derailed

Will Brooks is a legitimate LW with a good chin, that doesn't make Chandler a bad one. It was a good scrap, and it should have been a draw. Tito outweighed his opponent by 30 lbs, what did you expect to happen?

hindsight bias would be obvious here, unless you threw down big cash on tito

Back