promotion dilemma

And you think your getting sandbagged? Im still a purple belt :icon_chee

Wow. This just shows the ridiculousness of 99.99999% of all white belts that complain about belt promotions when someone like Sean doesn't complain about his belt.

People need to quit complaining and train.

Yeah, dont worry too much about rank. If you start asking they will probably make it slower!

On one hand I feel you about people getting promoted faster than you, there is a dude who's the teachers pet at our gym, the kids a spas attack he's injured like 4 people seriously including myself, he's getting his blue after like 10-11 months he's not that good gets tooled at competitions, politics yes, but on the other hand I really don't care about getting promoted I love BJJ, I love the core guys that make up my gym, I love learning I don't care if I'm a 55 year old white belt doing it for 22 years, I believe it's about learning not what color belt you have on

On one hand I feel you about people getting promoted faster than you, there is a dude who's the teachers pet at our gym, the kids a spas attack he's injured like 4 people seriously including myself, he's getting his blue after like 10-11 months he's not that good gets tooled at competitions, politics yes, but on the other hand I really don't care about getting promoted I love BJJ, I love the core guys that make up my gym, I love learning I don't care if I'm a 55 year old white belt doing it for 22 years, I believe it's about learning not what color belt you have on

The only time I think getting a blue belt is important is for academies that only allow blue belts into some of the classes (no gi, mma, etc...).

I can honestly see your frustration. Some people see promotions as encouragement... a physical sign that you're doing better and training hard... one that your professor notices.

But no matter how much you've put on the mat, I agree with these other statements. Just train.

If you want, as your professor what you need work on and what you need to be a better practitioner.

In another 2 years if you don't have it yet, post again and we'll discuss.

Honestly, stripes are a glorified pat on the back at my gym. They don't necessarily represent rank, but rather an acknowledgment that someone is working hard, being a good partner, and displaying an excellent attitude. The only stripe that means something in terms of rank is the 4th, which is my way of saying "you're close so step your game up".

I've been a brown belt for just shy of 3 years - I have zero stripes. That doesn't mean I'm no where near promotion, more that I've put enough time in that I don't need the ego boost anymore.

Honestly, stripes are a glorified pat on the back at my gym. They don't necessarily represent rank, but rather an acknowledgment that someone is working hard, being a good partner, and displaying an excellent attitude. The only stripe that means something in terms of rank is the 4th, which is my way of saying "you're close so step your game up".

I've been a brown belt for just shy of 3 years - I have zero stripes. That doesn't mean I'm no where near promotion, more that I've put enough time in that I don't need the ego boost anymore.

Pfft. Who'd promote you?

:icon_chee

If you have two sripes and are tapping 4 stripe white belts, blues and purple then your schools whole ranking system is fucked.

I could not disagree more. Perhaps his friend that tapped the blue & purple has wrestling, or is significantly bigger, stronger, younger, or what have you. Perhaps the higher belts were working on things, weaknesses, new defenses, whatever. Perhaps the OP & his friend are very spazzy & have little physical control and the instructor thinks their game needs to mature a bit.

The reasons why these guys have no more than two stripes could be myriad. And at only seven months, who cares? At my gym, several of us had to wait 3-4 years for blue just because of issues with our BB. One of our guys beat ex-UFC fighter Terry Martin (dominated him on the ground) and got signed to Strikeforce while waiting for his blue. In the scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

Personally i dont really care about getting promoted , im more interested in improving and enjoying myself in the process, although to be completely honoust, i'd like to get my blue belt within this year , as an acknowledgement to myself that i'm serious with this sport.

That said , i agree with the most posts here that you shouldnt ask for promotion and or complain about it.

I have great respect for higher belts and feel that in most cases these people have achieved this by displaying character, which makes me trust in their judgement on others and who to promote and why.

But than again its not unthinkable that there are situations and or people who don't fall into this category and sandbag students for whatever reasons
I respect people that do value their rank highly , its not up to others to decide how one has to value his belt.

So i acknowledge situations where people might feel passed over for promotion.

I'd say let your instructor know how important rank is for you and ask him what you should improve to gain the next belt.

There should be displayed a clear path for you to the next belt , from which you can choose to follow it or take your business elsewhere.

If you are upset that you are not getting your blue belt after 7 months you are being rediculous.

Lol @ training in the gi to get promoted. That's like your gf saying she got pregnant so you would stay with her.

Either do something for the right reasons, or not at all.

And you think your getting sandbagged? Im still a purple belt :icon_chee

Thats cause you suck! :icon_twis

Im totally joking Sean, and please, if you are planning on coming to the next Grappling X, dont hurt me. :icon_lol:

Thats cause you suck! :icon_twis

Im totally joking Sean, and please, if you are planning on coming to the next Grappling X, dont hurt me. :icon_lol:

Lol almost missed the small text at the bottom :icon_chee

Unfortunatly it's hard to make it to Grappling X tournaments they dont come up to San Fransisco much :icon_sad:

Back