1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

promotion dilemma

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mmaruinedme, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mmaruinedme

mmaruinedme White Belt

Ok me and my buddy have been at this academy for a little over 7 months. We train more often than anybody thats signed up, and we've only missed a few classes in all of the 7 months, while most people miss atleast a class a week. We've been continiously passed over for promotion and we both have 2 stripes on our white belts. There are now people with 2 stripes aswell who have only been training for 3 or 4 months and are nowhere near us skill wise. We regularly both tap a couple of the new blue belts and 3 and 4 stripe white belts. My buddy even tapped a purple belt and a blue belt back to back in the same class last week. It seems like our coach promotes people based on politics and social reasons. We both give blood, sweat, and tears on the mats day in and day out but we're receiving zero recognition for it. Our instructor is an amazing teacher and has limitless knowledge of bjj and we like the people there so its a shitty situation.

My question is I don't know if it's inappropriate to ask him why we aren't being promoted. Also if we do let him know where unhappy, then he promotes us right after, wouldn't you guys feel like that cheapens the accomplishment? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

my suggestion is to stop worrying about the belt all together. The belts, especially in BJJ, can be very political and when you start assessing to much meaning to them they can only cause grief.

The belt will come. Train BJJ to train, not to get the belt.

3. mmaruinedme

mmaruinedme White Belt

I know exactly what your saying but im also training in a gi now pretty much specifically to get rank. I trained no gi for a couple years and i've been striking for most of my life. I need to advance belt wise to have better credentials to teach the art. Also its easier said than done not worrying about belts when guys that you regularly smoke, and you've put in much more mat time then, are equal to or surpassing you in rank.

4. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

So you are trained only for 7 months and complain about being turned down for a blue belt promotion.

Does your instructor promote people to blue that quick?

5. mmaruinedme

mmaruinedme White Belt

No im not complaining about being passed up for a blue belt at all. But i should at the very least be at 3 waiting for my 4th pretty soon. Ive trained in a gi a little over 7 months but probably put in the mat time of the average person training a year and a half. (5 days a week, 2.5 hrs per session)

6. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

how do you fare in bjj competition?

7. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

I think having an emotional breakdown in front of your professor may get you promoted.

8. Brian McLaughlin

Brian McLaughlin Green Belt Professional Fighter

As an instructor I hate threads like this - worry about your progression, not someone else's. There could be a million reasons why you are at the rank you are at - many could be positive, he may hold you to a higher standard due to your potential.

Your instructor has been doing BJJ for far longer than you - you pay him because he known so much more than you. Trust his judgement, you've been doing BJJ for 6 months - you don't know anything, he does.

In close to 11 years on the mat I trained an average of 5-8 times a week, every week. I was a blue belt for 4 years, a purple for 3 1/2, I've been a brown for 3 years. I never complained about rank, I shut my mouth and trained. Six months is spit in the ocean, get over it.

9. SuzukS

SuzukS White Belt

You have been training for 7 months, you shouldn't even be thinking about bluebelt for another year dude.

10. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

Brian & Gerbil hit the nail on the head...listen to them. I don't why you care so much about belts.

Where do you train by the way?

11. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

Been in the same kind of position.

When training BJJ, not only did i felt it was expensive (but worth it IMO), but the instructor refrained from teaching people things unless they got up in belt, i came from judo background and was no slouch in the ground. After a month i already was on the top of the class, i also brought a different kind of game while trying to learn the BJJ game to a point where i had 2 games i could use.

My Judo game was simply better than the instructor, i had the best pinning and top control in the class, my submissions were relatively short, as i was never a newaza guy. But i didn't had the money to pay for every single stripe just to learn the "new stuff".

Another thing is that when they brought a renowed black belt (won't name) for some clinics, he teached stuff i was doing since day 1, and then the counter to that, but i already knew the countermeasures of it.

Anyway, i came under a book by Renzo Gracie called "BJJ theory and practice" and it shows how the belt system was originally and it seemed more professional and how it used to be in judo. Doesn't matters in the end i managed to tap the instructor once with pure judo (he was not teaching me anything new for many months) and he claimed that i was not technical so i should work in fighting off my back but again, with nothing new i learned, pure judo.

In the end it seemed that i was simply doing judo against BJJ, and i had to leave for monetary reasons, i wish i could come back someday.

Bottom line, sometimes you have to make lemonade and work with what you got, the opportunity to spar is always welcome to hone your own skills.

12. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I know how you feel about people getting promoted to the same as you even though they aren't as good. I was training for three months before I got my first belt in International Atemi JJ and this guy (who only cares about rolling and has been tapped by me a few times every time we rolled which is only five minutes at a time) got his in two months because he was going through the criteria with me and only got things right because he did them all after me.

13. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

I Guess if the only reason you want to get promoted is so you can achieve a rank that is needed to teach others, i'd say look around for the Bjj place where they promote the fastest/ easiest... easy as that...

14. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

just grow your game and don't sweat the rank. if you're as dominant as you say, then everyone in class knows it anyway and eventually there'll be pressure to promote from the class. also, crushing the nuts outta the whitebelt divisions in tourneys (and intermediate nogi) could give a boost.

as for building credentials, it's gonna take time. this is something you don't wanna rush or shortcut - this is something ari actually is qualified to teach us.

15. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I see you mentioned that you tap blue belts and that your friend occasionally taps purple belts.

Have you ever thought YOU are going to become the blue belt people will want to tap? Having a fancy colored belt will make you a target, just like how today's graduates are your targets. You have to ask yourself, can you deal with being the guy who people want to tap out?

16. slothofdoom

slothofdoom White Belt

2nd tip is perfectly normal for someone training hard for 7 months. stop complaining about your rank and train.

17. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

quit the gym and find one that will promote you quickly\if you pay enough money, that way you and your friend will have all the blue belts you want!

18. slothofdoom

slothofdoom White Belt

gracie university maybe? you dont even need a coach! lol

19. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

Maybe you're still using all you no-gi techniques? You say you had a couple years experience before you put on the gi, maybe your instructor recognizes that you have not learned to utilize gi techniques?

Maybe he is sandbagging you guys and wants you to be white belt world champions before you move to blue.

Maybe it's your attitude.

20. one.armed.jack

one.armed.jack Orange Belt

Even though you shouldn't care about the rank that much, and you're probably not ready for your next belt, it's understandable to be confused and to feel under-acknoweldged. And that can be a very frustrating feeling in any context.

While I do think it's out of line to outright complain to your instructor about the lack of promotion and certainly the last thing you want to do is start comparing yourself to his blue belts, there's nothing unreasonable about approaching your instructor and asking for some constructive criticism regarding what you should be focusing your attention on at this point. This might help clear up the confusion you feel and it might motivate your instructor to take a more considered look at your strengths and weaknesses in light of his other students.