Promoting smaller fighters or wasteland fodder

Bill Parcells

Monday Morning QB
@Green
Reaction score
Most casual fans don't care about the smaller fighters. Part of it is the, often true, perception that finishes are less frequent, but I think that a larger part of it is the viewer's assumption that "I could hold my own with that guy."

In discussing the upcoming 125 lb title fight with someone they made the claim "pretty much anyone in the NFL could beat up either of those guys." Maybe that's true, I don't really know, but I think that it is a big part of Zuffa's promotional problem.

At the risk of sounding like a troll, what would you think about Zuffa putting on an open weight fight between one of their 125 lb fighters and a really big athletic guy with virtually no training. Perhaps even a name. Let's say Ray Lewis, for the purpose of the discussion.

I'm assuming that they could just call it a 'heavyweight' fight and have one guy weight in at 250 and the other at 125, but I don't know that to be true.

While totally hypothetical matchups are generally relegated to the wasteland the topic of this thread is actually (or intended to) discuss increasing public opinion of smaller fighters.

I feel nearly certain that the above fight (or insert really large scary looking guy for Ray Lewis if that makes it feel less wastelandish) would sell. And if the smaller guy won, which I'm not sure he would, it would dramatically increase public awareness and public opinion of smaller fighters.

Thoughts in terms of the promotional idea and in the likely outcome of such a matchup? Or just make a snide remark about 'vet making wasteland threads' if you prefer.

- BP

The 2 biggest names in the UFC right now fight out of the 2nd and 3rd smallest divisions.

Your argument is therefore BS. People don't care about Mighty Mouse not because he's small. People don't care about him because he's boring on all levels. He could be Cain-sized and he'd still be selling sub-200K PPVs. Heck Cain himself is selling 1/3rd Ronda PPV numbers.

The 2 biggest names in the UFC right now fight out of the 2nd and 3rd smallest divisions.

I don't think of McGreggor as a smaller fighter because he's taller. Who is the other person that you're referring to?

who would sanction a fight between someone who weighs 125lbs agianst a 250+ guy, let alone a pro fighter versus someone who never fought.

Only place this could happen is Japan.

I don't think of McGreggor as a smaller fighter because he's taller. Who is the other person that you're referring to?

Oh he isn't?

Pic1a_3114201k.jpg

Among those, who do you think is responsible for the biggest PPV of this year? Who do you think is responsible for the 2nd biggest PPV?

Ronda isn't a fair comparison because women are held to a different standard than men. Further, her appearance has a marked impact on her ppv draws.

And, I suppose 'relative height' is more appropriate. He looks large relative to the people that he's fighting and the referee. Whereas in the upcoming title fight the referee will dwarf both of the fighters.

"Hey guys, let's take MMA back a couple decades!"

Ronda isn't a fair comparison because women are held to a different standard than men. Further, her appearance has a marked impact on her ppv draws.

You're right, women are indeed held to a different standard than men - people cared EVEN LESS about WMMA and women's combat sport in general than the smallest male divisions until Ronda came along. There were far prettier fighters before her and there will be far prettier fighters after her, men or women, so the appearance argument is complete BS.

And, I suppose 'relative height' is more appropriate. He looks large relative to the people that he's fighting and the referee. Whereas in the upcoming title fight the referee will dwarf both of the fighters.

First of all, you need to learn how to argue. The OP says people don't care about smaller men. Nowhere does it say it's relative to refs. Completely changing the argument means you're full of shit. Secondly, have you seen McGregor next to some of the bigger refs like Herb, Big John or Big Dan?

McGregor is a tiny man who is very insecure about his small stature, that's why he postures up all the time and derides midgets who're even smaller than he is every chance he gets. That did not stop him from becoming one of the biggest names in the UFC in no time. Ronda Rousey is a pudgy butterfaced 5'7" chick who entered the sport when WMMA wasn't even in the UFC and was (still is) seen as the sideshow inside a fringe sport. Didn't stop her from becoming the biggest star in the UFC.

Mayweather, the biggest combat athlete in the world, the highest paid athlete in the world by a wide margin, is a tiny midget who constantly gets dwarfed by the people around him. Didn't stop him from becoming who he is.

Size has nothing to do with anything, stop using it as BS excuse.

Ronda is in the heaviest WMMA class. Conor is tall for the division. But most importantly he does not fight like a manlet who jump all over the place and land hundreds of shots without any damage. His striking is very effective and powerful.

Ronda is in the heaviest WMMA class. Conor is tall for the division. But most importantly he does not fight like a manlet who jump all over the place and land hundreds of shots without any damage. His striking is very effective and powerful.

Doesn't change the fact that both Rousey and Conor are tiny compared to most other UFC champions.

And by your logic, why isn't 6'4" Werdum more popular than both? Why aren't 6'6"/7" Wladimir and Vitali Klitschkos more famous than Mayweather? Why wasn't Cyborg, the biggest (in terms of physical size) fighter in WMMA more popular than Rousey even back in strikeforce?

Stop using size as excuse. People don't care about MM because he's not interesting.

Ronda 1st
Connor 2nd

So the 2 midgets and arguably uglier members of the group are responsible for the biggest PPVs of the year. Amongst the 2 is a member of the female sex, a gender which combat sport fans have historically given zero craps about.

If that doesn't tell you size has jack all to do with anything, nothing will.

So the 2 midgets and arguably uglier members of the group are responsible for the biggest PPVs of the year. Amongst the 2 is a member of the female sex, a gender which combat sport fans have historically given zero craps about.

If that doesn't tell you size has jack all to do with anything, nothing will.

My point exactly sir! I believe it has to do with who is more entertaining and who the fans are dying to see fight.

Doesn't change the fact that both Rousey and Conor are tiny compared to most other UFC champions.

And by your logic, why isn't 6'4" Werdum more popular than both? Why aren't 6'6"/7" Wladimir and Vitali Klitschkos more famous than Mayweather? Why wasn't Cyborg, the biggest (in terms of physical size) fighter in WMMA more popular than Rousey even back in strikeforce?

Stop using size as excuse. People don't care about MM because he's not interesting.

I am not talking about heights in inches. Lower weight classes fight differently. There is a ton of running, bouncing around and strikes involved, usually without too much damage or stoppages. Most people want to see fighting, not athletic strategies. Nothing of that applies to Ronda or Conor. They are consistently finishing fights.

I am not talking about heights in inches. Lower weight classes fight differently. There is a ton of running, bouncing around and strikes involved, usually without too much damage or stoppages. Most people want to see fighting, not athletic strategies. Nothing of that applies to Ronda or Conor. They are consistently finishing fights.

Floyd Mayweather is walking proof that your argument is utter bullshit. Post-Serra GSP is walking proof that your argument is utter bullshit. Not to mention TS was talking about smaller fighters getting no attention, and you're now changing the argument to some other BS (fighting styles). Next thing we know you're going to talk about personality, looks and the X-factor as contributing factors as if any of that has jack all to do with the original statement.

Quit with this crap. MM finishing 3 of his last 5 championship fights is plenty impressive. GSP had a lot of decisions, but far fewer people shit all over him for it. I just don't get this bias from alleged MMA fans toward the smaller fighters. There seems to be much more at play that creates that bias.

Freak fights aren't the way the go. No one really remembers the lesser fighters who did them.

The two most realistic scenarios are this:

1) Emulating Conor McGregor. Charisma is by far the most important trait a fighter needs to become mainstream, if they are good enough to become champion. Case in point, Floyd Mayweather is mocked for his fighting style yet people still watch him and want to see him lose. He also happens to generate the most money as a boxer. If they are known (through their personality) people will want to watch them.

2) Nationality or ethnicity based. For example, later GSP. Known as one of the most boring fighters later during his career, he still was a superstar in Canada. Obviously this wouldn't work for Demetrious because Americans don't care about America, but fighters like Henry Cejudo and John Dodson possibly could do so based on their ethnicity. Cejudo more so because he because he is fluent in Spanish and seems to be proud of his Mexican heritage. Dodson could do so for the Phillipines, but I'm not sure if he reps them.

Back