PROJECT: For the month of October...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by HEAVY GRAPPLER, Oct 1, 2010.

1. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

For the month of October, I will only be beginning rolls in bottom of side control or mount. And I will only be submitting with chokes (excluding triangles.)

Anyone ever try this approach to address gaping holes in their game?

2. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

I think it's a great way of training, one that I'm guilty of not using nearly enough.

3. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I do this.

This month I really want to work on my high tozi pass from top and from bottom, I want to work my ability to deal with really big, strong guys that crowd me in guard.

4. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

I do something similar. I don't quite have the will power to follow it 100% though. I usually pick a technique and use it as much as possible, just not exclusively that one move.

Also I don't restrict it to a time frame. When I'm comfortable or something else catches my eye, I switch.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

Same. Right now I'm looking to almost exclusively hit the marcelo-style guillotine or N/S choke.

But if something else comes up, I'll take it. I'm hunting for those two, though.

6. HEAVY GRAPPLER

HEAVY GRAPPLER Brown Belt

I have tried the more moderate routes people are suggesting. But I am a creature of habit and maybe a bit lazy. I need to make it a rule.

The thing with side control is that I am good at avoiding it. I have an active guard and am pretty good from the turtle. But if you get me in side - I'm fucked (save for powering out of it - another habit I'm trying to break.) If I don't start there, I am unlikely to wind up there.

7. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

When I do this, I'll tend to save one roll a night for a fun roll, just to keep myself sharp on everything else. Anything goes during that roll.

But yes, I do this all the time because different people (or even the same people at different times) show you new looks all the time. It helps give you confidence with a technique.

8. AZfighter

AZfighter White Belt

I do something similar this month I am working on avoiding being put in side control at all costs. I feel comfortable when someone has me in side control and can get to guard most of the time but I need to stop getting to that position.

9. ShadowNINku

ShadowNINku SANDBAGGER BELT

sounds like a good idea ^

"fun roll", the positional roll can be fun too though :icon_chee

"fun roll" first or after positional rolls?

just 1 "fun roll"?