Program for my dad

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Klotz, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Klotz

Klotz Shalom

My dad is pretty into fitness and he plays tennis and hockey, runs, does the elliptical, and lifts with machines. He's a doctor and he knows the importance of staying fit when you're relatively young, but he's also scared of the dangers of heavy lifting, especially to the back and knees. He's really impressed with how strong I've become, and I said I'd write up a routine for him. In the past I've got him onto progressive overload (now he can do the whole stack of the chest machine!) and dips & chins (really bad range of motion), so now I'll see if I can get him to do something more substantial. He said his goals were to maintain strength and flexibility. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to convince him to squat or deadlift, which is a challenge.

Here's what I'm thinking.

BW squats 3x10 (practicing the third world squat until he has good ROM)
    Step ups 3x5. The DB weights go up to 365, and he can progress by changing the height.
    Back extensions 3x10 Holding a weight to his chest.
    Bench press 3x6 OHP or dips would be better, but I don't think he can/will do either.
    DB rows 3x6 each hand
    Then his elliptical running or whatever.

If he can do full ROM dips and pullups I'll switch him to those. Any suggestions or comments?

2. dfoster

dfoster Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

That's great. Do you mean back extensions using body weight first with the option to hold weights to his chest as he progresses? What about other mid section exercises for core strength to protect the spine? If he's concerned about the back, won't seated row machine or t-bar rows off an inclined bench be better than DB row?

3. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

are you doing this in a home gym or in a commercial gym?

you can make him start with pin pulls and explain to him its importance of keeping the back healthy. eventually, he'll muster enough courage to squat.

I'd also throw in a standing military press over there

4. Klotz

Klotz Shalom

Tennis club gym. It's got DBs up to 65, a bench press, a pretty suit power cage, dip and chin stations, various machines. I'll suggest OHP, but I doubt it'll fly.

5. WinterIsComing

WinterIsComing Blue Belt

You can't get him to do light squats/deadlifts? I mean unless your form is utter utter shit the only way your going to hurt your knees, back is if your going fairly heavy.

6. Put him on the BS5x5.

There are only a handful of different exercises to master and it will fulfill all his goals and more.

That's why the 5x5 is so good. It's simple as hell int he rep schemes, and there are so few exercises you need, but enough for variety.

7. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Black Belt

I need to try to get my dad on a better program this summer. He's so scared of screwin' his neck up again that all he does is walk/exercise bike, and light weight bench press for high reps.

8. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

How old is this geezer?

9. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

I think you need to show him some of the videos of the older guys strength training on youtube. I think there is a few with guys in their 60's and 70's doing squats and deads.

Is your dad Statisticool?

10. Klotz

Klotz Shalom

55 and not statisticool.

11. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

flak?

12. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

He's not that old, he needs to start squatting and deadlifting.

13. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

55 is not too old to squat and deadlift. I think most people are going to be apprehensive of doing complicated compound movements at first. Just try to introduce one at a time into his program over a period of several months. It's worth a try anyway.

14. flak

flak Guest

Huh? What?

(momentarily stops thinking about Maria de la Puente)

15. ThinkGreen

ThinkGreen Der √úbermensch

I think your routine is pretty good. I would just throw in an OHP type thing, and make sure he is doing dips+chins. I would suggest squatting and deadliftting too but if he doesn't want to do that then no worries

16. flak

flak Guest

As far as squatting and deadlifting, see if you can get him to do the lifts with just the bar. Once he sees that his knees/lower back don't explode he'll probably get comfortable with the lifts and then start adding weight.

Hell, he could limit himself to 10-rep sets or set some arbitrary weight, like 135 lbs. and never venture beyond it. He'll still be better off doing that than ignoring those lifts altogether.

Also, tell him to start a log here and join TOTHO. And get a cage fight.

17. SpiralOut

SpiralOut Yellow Belt

You should try to convince him to start squatting and deadlifting with just the bar. Don't let him put more weight on until he's almost fed up with you. But keep him doing them. He'll come around once he feels ready.

18. Old Man

Old Man Black Belt

Ha.

19. takeahnase

takeahnase watching the swarm

My dad is 76. What he does is something along these lines (twice a week, may not do all exercises each time):

Band Traction and Calisthenics

DB Overhead (Push Press, Overhead Press, Split Jerk)

Deadlift Variant (BB Deadlifts or Rack Pulls, DB RDLs, DB Suitcase Deads off Boxes)

Row Variant (DB or BB Row)

Unilateral Leg Work (DB Reverse Lunges or Step Ups)

DB Turkish Getups

Weighted Walking (Farmer's walk, pseudo-yoke (BB on shoulders), waiter's walk)

At 55 squatting should not be a problem. My dad has issues with shoulder mobility, so BB squats are not in the program. In general for older people, I would include some unilateral work and keep the spinal load limited.

20. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Try teching him the push press. here's what i'd suggest

GMs/step ups
    push press
    cable row

pin pulls
    dips
    pullups

you can use Rippetoe SS or EDT for his case since your primary objective is to get him to feel 15 years younger