1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Program Advice

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Lug's Spear, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Lug's Spear Green Belt

Just hoping i could get some suggestions on my workout.

-Tues
    Run 3 mi
    Pull ups 3x10
    Bench 5x5
    Incline bench 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Lateral raises 3x10
    Weighted ab crunch 4x8

-Thurs
    Run 3mi
    Chin ups 3x10
    Bench 5x5
    Shrug 3x15
    Squat 5x5
    Incline DB curls 3x8
    Weight ab crunch 3x10
    Dips 3x12

-Sat
    Pull ups 3x10
    Bench 5x5
    Incline bench 5x5
    Squat 5x5
    Lateral raises 3x10
    Tricep Extensions 3x6
    Weight ab crunch 3x8

I'm used to doing full body work outs, but i'm not sure if i'm balancing compound and isolated exercises well.

2. Chaseg1520 Green Belt

That's some volume you gots right thurr... too much me thinks...

3. ThinkGreen Der Übermensch

Read the faq

4. Lug's Spear Green Belt

What would you suggest taking off or moving around?

5. TrinitronMaximu Orange Belt

Like chase said, a lot of volume. How long have you been lifting? Do you have any injuries or specific weaknesses you are working with?

Ditch incline bench and lateral raises on tuesday, shrugs and curls on thursday, and incline bench and lateral raises again on sat. You don't have any rows/deadlifts. In general it just seems way too upperbody heavy.

6. DrBdan Something clever

Agreed. 14 upper body exercises, 3 lower body (not including running and abs), quite imbalanced.

If you really want to do incline bench you should do fewer sets of each, e.g. 3x5 flat bench, 3x5 incline bench. Personally I wouldn't want to take the time to switch benches. Also, too much bench can create an imbalance in your shoulders since it only works the front of the shoulder.

On Wednesday ditch shrugs and curls and do rows (rows will balance out all the benching). On Saturday ditch lateral raises and tricep extension and do overhead press.

Finally, I'm not sure if the order that you listed the exercises is the order that you are doing them but I would start with squats since they are the hardest (or should be).

7. Donut62 Black Belt

You have absolutely no pulling/hip dominant exercises for the lower body. Deadlift, olympic lift, whatever. Do them. Too much upper body garbage. A push and pull is all you need each session. Don't worry about programming stupid stuff like DB Raises. Do them if you have time. Worry about the big shit and the little shit will fall into place.

8. B3rserk3R Brown Belt

^^ I agree with Donut, and frankly (and I may be wrong) but I'm thinking you'd probably be better off following a tried and true program until you get a bit more experience in program design. Eventually you'll learn how to customize things to suit your specific needs, but for now what you need is a good balanced program and there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

9. Lusst Red Belt

Christ dude, that's a lot of volume.

Save the 3 mile run for after.

10. takeahnase watching the swarm

In my opinion you don't balance compound and isolated exercises. You do compounds. If you need an excuse to keep staring at the chick on the treadmill after benching, squatting and deadlifting, you can do some curls.

To the routine: As Donut said, where's the hip extension work? Far too much pressing! Just do the 5x5 from the FAQ.

11. Lug's Spear Green Belt

Thanks everyone for advice, i am still trying to educate myself on proper weight lifting techniques. I was pretty ignorant to how complex this is.

12. takeahnase watching the swarm

If you don't know the page, stronglifts.com gives some good basic advice.