Program Advice

Lug's Spear

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just hoping i could get some suggestions on my workout.

-Tues
Run 3 mi
Pull ups 3x10
Bench 5x5
Incline bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Lateral raises 3x10
Weighted ab crunch 4x8

-Thurs
Run 3mi
Chin ups 3x10
Bench 5x5
Shrug 3x15
Squat 5x5
Incline DB curls 3x8
Weight ab crunch 3x10
Dips 3x12

-Sat
Pull ups 3x10
Bench 5x5
Incline bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Lateral raises 3x10
Tricep Extensions 3x6
Weight ab crunch 3x8

I'm used to doing full body work outs, but i'm not sure if i'm balancing compound and isolated exercises well.

That's some volume you gots right thurr... too much me thinks...

Like chase said, a lot of volume. How long have you been lifting? Do you have any injuries or specific weaknesses you are working with?

Ditch incline bench and lateral raises on tuesday, shrugs and curls on thursday, and incline bench and lateral raises again on sat. You don't have any rows/deadlifts. In general it just seems way too upperbody heavy.

Agreed. 14 upper body exercises, 3 lower body (not including running and abs), quite imbalanced.

If you really want to do incline bench you should do fewer sets of each, e.g. 3x5 flat bench, 3x5 incline bench. Personally I wouldn't want to take the time to switch benches. Also, too much bench can create an imbalance in your shoulders since it only works the front of the shoulder.

On Wednesday ditch shrugs and curls and do rows (rows will balance out all the benching). On Saturday ditch lateral raises and tricep extension and do overhead press.

Finally, I'm not sure if the order that you listed the exercises is the order that you are doing them but I would start with squats since they are the hardest (or should be).

You have absolutely no pulling/hip dominant exercises for the lower body. Deadlift, olympic lift, whatever. Do them. Too much upper body garbage. A push and pull is all you need each session. Don't worry about programming stupid stuff like DB Raises. Do them if you have time. Worry about the big shit and the little shit will fall into place.

^^ I agree with Donut, and frankly (and I may be wrong) but I'm thinking you'd probably be better off following a tried and true program until you get a bit more experience in program design. Eventually you'll learn how to customize things to suit your specific needs, but for now what you need is a good balanced program and there is no point in reinventing the wheel.

Christ dude, that's a lot of volume.

Save the 3 mile run for after.

Just hoping i could get some suggestions on my workout.

-Tues
Run 3 mi
Pull ups 3x10
Bench 5x5

Incline bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Lateral raises 3x10
Weighted ab crunch 4x8

-Thurs
Run 3mi
Chin ups 3x10
Bench 5x5
Shrug 3x15
Squat 5x5
Incline DB curls 3x8
Weight ab crunch 3x10
Dips 3x12

-Sat
Pull ups 3x10
Bench 5x5
Incline bench 5x5
Squat 5x5
Lateral raises 3x10
Tricep Extensions 3x6
Weight ab crunch 3x8

I'm used to doing full body work outs, but i'm not sure if i'm balancing compound and isolated exercises well.

In my opinion you don't balance compound and isolated exercises. You do compounds. If you need an excuse to keep staring at the chick on the treadmill after benching, squatting and deadlifting, you can do some curls.

To the routine: As Donut said, where's the hip extension work? Far too much pressing! Just do the 5x5 from the FAQ.

Thanks everyone for advice, i am still trying to educate myself on proper weight lifting techniques. I was pretty ignorant to how complex this is.

If you don't know the page, stronglifts.com gives some good basic advice.

Back