Professional MMA Mats for Garage - Installation Problem

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Hypothetical

If I wanted to pad a room for mma with 1.5 inch mats, but the mats can only reach one wall, and will simply end with a walkway around on the other three sides, what's the best way to go about doing this? It seems like you need the mats to contact the wall on all sides to keep from sliding.

I'd rather not have to drill into the ground. The area is carpeted.

Depends on size. If the mats are large enough, their weight will hold them down. Also, you can add slip protection mats under your mats.

Depends on size. If the mats are large enough, their weight will hold them down. Also, you can add slip protection mats under your mats.

I'm looking at about 6 flexi-roll mats velcro'd together, covering around 14'x24'. Think it will hold itself?

I don't know the weight of the mats you described but something as simple as mat tape could do the trick. Tape it to the adjacent wall and the walkway floors at an angle if that makes sense. Used to do it in HS wrestling at tournaments to allow for walking space between mats (so people wouldn't be cutting across mats during other peoples matches).
-Goat

You could always nail a few 2x4's into the ground around the perimeter of the mats if you aren't worried about messing up the floor.

I don't know the weight of the mats you described but something as simple as mat tape could do the trick. Tape it to the adjacent wall and the walkway floors at an angle if that makes sense. Used to do it in HS wrestling at tournaments to allow for walking space between mats (so people wouldn't be cutting across mats during other peoples matches).
-Goat

The mats are about 50 pounds a piece (250-300 all together), and yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

You could always nail a few 2x4's into the ground around the perimeter of the mats if you aren't worried about messing up the floor.

It's on a concrete slab. Besides the carpet, it would still be a bit of an issue.

Back