Professional Fighters League (PFL) secures $28m investment

What does the LFL stand for? What is it? I read that he was allegedly mixed up with muslim terrorist organizations a while ago. But that is why I said IF he is NOT aiding any terrorist organizations. If he is still aiding them on the down low then obviously the man needs to go to prison. I really hope he has had a change of heart. However, truth be told fanatics usually never change.
PFL, sorry. He was matchmaker and an executive under WSOF, and seems he’s still heavily involved. At the time, he was matching fighters he personally managed, and giving them favorable matchups, ie, getting a higher percentage when they won.

At the time, he was matching fighters he personally managed, and giving them favorable matchups, ie, getting a higher percentage when they won.
<{danayeah}>

Actually, a tournament format MMA organization was successful. It was so successful that it attracted the attention of Viacom and Viacom bought it. We know it as Bellator. Under Bjorn Rebney, Bellator built up their own star, Pat Curran, Joe Warren, Ben Askren, Michael Chandler, Patricio Pitbull Freire, Douglas Lima, and others. Built up it's own fan base and established itself as a legitimate MMA organization. And Bjorn Rebney did that in just six years, 2008 -2014. The Professional Fighters League is just starting up, so like anything, it takes time.

Is PFL a single tournament or a sports league? I was under the impression it was a league similar to NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.

The tournaments Bellator and Strikeforce and even the UFC has done like for the introduction of the flyweight is different.

Bellator never had a regular season, playoffs, and championship.

So ACTUALLY, your completely wrong and attempted to use a false equivalency and failed.

Is PFL a single tournament or a sports league? I was under the impression it was a league similar to NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL.

The tournaments Bellator and Strikeforce and even the UFC has done like for the introduction of the flyweight is different.

So ACTUALLY, your completely wrong and attempted to use a false equivalency and failed.
Nah,

WEAK, REAL WEAK, you can use all the semantics you like, but your argument is weak. Especially when you were given a proven example of a MMA organization with a tournament format actually worked named Bellator.

Strikeforce HW tourney anyone?

And Bellator tournies also had issues and their current one is not on a reasonable timetable at all. Real sports rely on strict schedules, something the Bellator HW tourney does not. I guarantee that something will fall apart if they move forward with this.

The top fighters should fight when they are ready/healthy and the champs should fight the top contender. Trying to get everyone on the same time schedule and assume no one will get hurt is naive as fuck. The better fighters have more to lose by fighting hurt, which is why the pull out more than no names in past Bellator tournies

All we need is a league where fighters have part ownership and fair pay, that also adheres strictly to rankings. No more gifting of title fights to sell more tickets and PPVs like WME. A tourney or playoff format falls apart with one big injury
Still no examples of fighters getting injured that ruined these tournaments. StrikeForce Heavyweight Tournament was ruined because Scott Coker dragged it out from February 12, 2011 to May 19, 2012.

It wasn't a completely unfounded statement, and he may have more to add to it, but yes, it doesn't seem so bad in my opinion.

Plus I'd just say that not everything should be immediately blamed on the tournament. Rashid Magomedov pulled out of his bout with Jason High for example, but that was also going to be Rashid's first bout in 16 months, so not really a tournament specific issue.
Nah, VIP1349 statement was completely unfounded and a totally generic blanket statement. And your semantics can't change that.

PFL might actually sign some big names if they can guarantee that $1million tournament winner prize. Or at least get somewhere close to that number.

Imagine a guy like Eddie Alvarez who is a free agent and will get a less than $100k/fight offer from the UFC. He could take the risk of fighting a handful of times in the PFL and making more money on less fights than if he were to carry on with the UFC. Just some food for thought on how PFL has potential to sign bigger names.
Eddie might be able to beat a bunch of possibly shitty unknown guys.

Nah,

WEAK, REAL WEAK, you can use all the semantics you like, but your argument is weak. Especially when you were given a proven example of a MMA organization with a tournament format actually worked named Bellator.

PFL isn't a tournament.

It's a sports league. You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.

Yeah you can try to use all the semantics you want to and it's still WEAK. I actually understand what you mean, but felt like messing with you. Anyway, be a positive MMA fan and hope the PFL succeeds and does well and not a typical negative MMA internet fan by stating it won't work. The PFL has investors, they are putting on nice shows, the crowds has gotten more and more boisterous, and we aren't hearing any reports about finances. I'm looking forward to seeing how a full season works starting in January 2019 and with Women Featherweights added to the bill.

Yeah you can try to use all the semantics you want to and it's still WEAK. I actually understand what you mean, but felt like messing with you. Anyway, be a positive MMA fan and hope the PFL succeeds and does well and not a typical negative MMA internet fan by stating it won't work. The PFL has investors, they are putting on nice shows, the crowds has gotten more and more boisterous, and we aren't hearing any reports about finances. I'm looking forward to seeing how a full season works starting in January 2019 and with Women Featherweights added to the bill.

So you're one of these internet trolls I've been reading about. Disgusting.

I hope everything works out for everybody ultimately, but sometimes that means taking a knock and learning a lesson.

PFL is trying to put a the wrong shaped thing in the wrong shaped hole, and we all know how that works out.

It's really awesome until it isn't.

I hope everything works out for everybody ultimately, but sometimes that means taking a knock and learning a lesson.

PFL is trying to put a the wrong shaped thing in the wrong shaped hole, and we all know how that works out.

What do you forsee happening exactly? 1 or 2 of the finalists not being able to make the final date? Or all 12 of them? I don't know your answer, but say your answer is 2, and PFL simply replaces them with the next deserving fighter in line. Do you really see that as being a big enough issue that it would derail the whole promotion? Cause in my opinion it wouldn't be a big deal.

You haven't read on story about the PFL financially struggling. You have gotten PFL fights regularly this season with no hiccups. So you are complaining about a unknown of something you can't possibly know. Do you know how much the PFL has made from their gates? Do you know how much the PFL has made from advertisers? Do you know how much the PFL contract is paying them from NBCSN? Do you know the PFL expenses in any and all facets? All you are doing is being the typical negative MMA internet fan. MMA internet fans are the worst. Hate on everything MMA, yet claim they love MMA. The PFL owners are wealthy people and here are MMA internet fans acting like those people became wealthy by making bad decisions. Why is it so hard for you MMA internet fans to be positive about a MMA organization that is putting on MMA fights to entertain us fans and provide jobs for MMA fighters so they can pursue their dreams and provide for their families?

You haven't read on story about the PFL financially struggling. You have gotten PFL fights regularly this season with no hiccups. So you are complaining about a unknown of something you can't possibly know. Do you know how much the PFL has made from their gates? Do you know how much the PFL has made from advertisers? Do you know how much the PFL contract is paying them from NBCSN? Do you know the PFL expenses in any and all facets? All you are doing is being the typical negative MMA internet fan. MMA internet fans are the worst. Hate on everything MMA, yet claim they love MMA. The PFL owners are wealthy people and here are MMA internet fans acting like those people became wealthy by making bad decisions. Why is it so hard for you MMA internet fans to be positive about a MMA organization that is putting on MMA fights to entertain us fans and provide jobs for MMA fighters so they can pursue their dreams and provide for their families?

Fair points.

Not really relevant to anything I said but I'm happy to provide you an opportunity to vent your frustrations.

PFL isn't doing something no one thought of before, they are doing something that doesn't make sense fundamentally.

Maybe I'm wrong though and the PFL investors get even richer and all the fighters get paid big bucks and none of them get hurt and they can fight over and over again in a short period repeatedly.

Only time will tell.

What do you forsee happening exactly? 1 or 2 of the finalists not being able to make the final date? Or all 12 of them? I don't know your answer, but say your answer is 2, and PFL simply replaces them with the next deserving fighter in line. Do you really see that as being a big enough issue that it would derail the whole promotion? Cause in my opinion it wouldn't be a big deal.

The fights will be lackluster because they will have to be to keep the winners capable of fighting again in a short period. Or the winners will not be able to continue from common injuries like broken hands/feet/whatever.

This will have an effect on the promotion over time, likely derailing the climactic ending they are hoping for in the playoffs and championships.

The fights will be lackluster because they will have to be to keep the winners capable of fighting again in a short period. Or the winners will not be able to continue from common injuries like broken hands/feet/whatever.

This will have an effect on the promotion over time, likely derailing the climactic ending they are hoping for in the playoffs and championships.
It's possible, but from my recent experience with tournaments like Rizin, TUF, Bellator, and the PFL so far, the quality of fights doesn't seem to diminish. In fact sometimes you have guys trying to end fights quicker to stay healthy, which can make things exciting. I'm not just saying that to counter your point, it's just that every recent tournament that comes to mind, like Horiguchi's 4 Rizin fights in 5 months, seemed to work out smoothly. It feels like promotions have figured out how to deal with pull outs, so even when there is a injury it doesn't seem so bad.

Once PFL presents its top 8 of each division (as well as their playoff brackets), it's really just 2 days the fighters need to show up for. Once in October, and once in December. It doesn't seem likely that all 6 tournaments will fall apart, and because of that, PFL is pretty much guaranteed at least a couple of properly set up million dollar fights for the final episode of the season. I think it'll be good.

Last edited:
It's possible, but from my recent experience with tournaments like Rizin, TUF, Bellator, and the PFL so far, the quality of fights doesn't seem to diminish. In fact sometimes you have guys trying to end fights quicker to stay healthy, which can make things exciting. I'm not just saying that to counter your point, it's just that every recent tournament that comes to mind, like Horiguchi's 4 Rizin fights in 5 months, seemed to work out smoothly. It feels like promotions have figured out how to deal with pull outs, so even when there is a injury it doesn't seem so bad.

Once PFL presents its top 8 of each division (as well as their playoff brackets), it's really just 2 days the fighters need to show up for. Once in October, and once in December. It doesn't seem likely that all 6 tournaments will fall apart, and because of that, PFL is pretty much guaranteed at least a couple of properly set up million dollar fights for the final episode of the season.

Yeah it's possible to fight five times in six months, but there's a reason very few fighters do that. They have a limited number of draws and they are not even big names, just recognizable as UFC dropouts.

The playoffs involve two fights in one night and then a short turnaround for the NYE championship. That's very risky and then you have the winner unable to continue and you deflate the whole build up.

I agree that you have a good chance for at least a couple of the championships to pan out.

I went and looked at the results so far and there have been a good amount of finishes, and they don't allow elbows, so maybe the fighters will game accordingly.

Yeah it's possible to fight five times in six months, but there's a reason very few fighters do that. They have a limited number of draws and they are not even big names, just recognizable as UFC dropouts.

The playoffs involve two fights in one night and then a short turnaround for the NYE championship. That's very risky and then you have the winner unable to continue and you deflate the whole build up.

I agree that you have a good chance for at least a couple of the championships to pan out.

I went and looked at the results so far and there have been a good amount of finishes, and they don't allow elbows, so maybe the fighters will game accordingly.
Time will tell how smoothly (or unsmoothly) this goes. The point about PFL having a limited number of draws is a whole different conversation.

Time will tell how smoothly (or unsmoothly) this goes. The point about PFL having a limited number of draws is a whole different conversation.

I didn't tie that point in well, but I mentioned that to highlight how damaging it could be to have a dropout.

Back