Professional Fighters League (PFL) secures $28m investment

So they're banking on creating a product that can eventually be sold to something like DAZN?

Not necessarily "sold", but getting content rights? Seems like it.
I haven't followed the business plans for PFL, but obviously he is pretty damn good at what he does & knows potential interest.

CEO of PFL, Pete Murray, said over 2 million people viewed PFL4, and he expects things are just getting started.

Not necessarily "sold", but getting content rights? Seems like it.
I haven't followed the business plans for PFL, but obviously he is pretty damn good at what he does & knows potential interest.
Burnett is reviving his boxing competition series “The Contender” on MGM’s Epix pay-TV channel starting Aug. 25.

MGM (along with Burnett) is a investor in PFL. So maybe that's the plan after NBC?

FROM MAY THIS YEAR:
"MGM Seeks To Grow Epix Through Investment In Original Content, New Distribution Deals."
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/deadlin...ontent-new-distribution-deals-1202392696/amp/

I see a connection.

Last edited:
8rWSPVW.gif

Yes there's always that. The PFL at present has a one-year deal with NBC Sports Network for carriage of its fights.

When I was doing media on the UFC rights negotiations, there was talk of NBC starting an OTT as a possibility

Well ...
ESPN+ & DAZN (over) paying for MMA backs him up that it seems like content distributors feel that way

Yep. The question for me is how many subscribers does Bellator really bring to DAZN? Even among hardcores, very few Bellator shows generate any buzz. And that’s when they are free. I’m quite sceptical how many people will be willing to pay.

Yep. The question for me is how many subscribers does Bellator really bring to DAZN? Even among hardcores, very few Bellator shows generate any buzz. And that’s when they are free. I’m quite sceptical how many people will be willing to pay.

I don't see either ESPN+ or DAZN making money on the contracted deals.
Seems more like an investment in future

ESPN+ will need about 2m subs per month to recoup ... no fn chance

Turner was after UFC but couldn't due to the timing.
Hopefully you are right, but I see FS1 mainly due to the void they have in programming since UFC left
Is there any rumor to them leaving NBCSN? I thought they were signed for a few years? They need to get the prelims off facebook since they are just as important in the long run.

Is there any rumor to them leaving NBCSN? I thought they were signed for a few years? They need to get the prelims off facebook since they are just as important in the long run.

I haven't followed it closely enough to give any real info
Sorry man

Jesus, imagine how financially retarded you'd have to be to invest in PFL or any second-rate mma organization. Someone should let Kevin Hart know they were called WSOF a year ago and changed their whole format and name because they were so poorly run they went out of business.

Ten?! I'll be impressed if they're regularly putting shows on in THREE years from now. Fuck it, I'm feeling confident- make that two. Look at their ratings.
They know what they are doing. Tony Robbins is not financially retarted for sure. Guy's a genius if any... If I had the money I would probably invest too. Simply because I believe in that format and whole idea they present.

A lot of smart investors have lost money in various ventures so just because they have hit it big doesn't mean they always do.

Personally, I just think the MMA market is so saturated that if you aren't the UFC you are literally scrapping to get every viewership and even the UFC is seeing a negative effect of it to some extent. I'm not so sure you can grow MMA in this market to become self sustaining like the UFC. Bellator has been around long enough and signing enough name value guys that they were able to cash in on deal like DAZN. If DAZN fails in the US chances are high that Viacom may close shop on it in three years. They weren't making money before this deal and with a lot of there best fighters fighting on DAZN exclusively they won't be growing the product either.

I think we are also quickly approaching that time when some of these niche streaming services might start running into some real problems. Most of them are propped up by investors hoping its the next Netflix or Hulu and for the time being are hemorrhaging money. The reality is many will probably never make it long term and eventually those investment dollars will slow down and stop. Most consumers aren't going to be subscribing to 8 different streaming services but that is the path it going towards quickly.

Good for PFL but I hope PFL sticks with networks and doesn't go down the path of streaming unless they sign a deal on one of the major streaming platforms(ie:Amazon or Netflix).

More money for Ali to launder.

PFL might actually sign some big names if they can guarantee that $1million tournament winner prize. Or at least get somewhere close to that number.

Imagine a guy like Eddie Alvarez who is a free agent and will get a less than $100k/fight offer from the UFC. He could take the risk of fighting a handful of times in the PFL and making more money on less fights than if he were to carry on with the UFC. Just some food for thought on how PFL has potential to sign bigger names.

PFL might actually sign some big names if they can guarantee that $1million tournament winner prize. Or at least get somewhere close to that number.

Imagine a guy like Eddie Alvarez who is a free agent and will get a less than $100k/fight offer from the UFC. He could take the risk of fighting a handful of times in the PFL and making more money on less fights than if he were to carry on with the UFC. Just some food for thought on how PFL has potential to sign bigger names.
It makes sense for a lot of fighters considering that there's also runner up bonuses of $100,000-$200,000. And that's all in addition to a standard show/win purse, and all within a 6 month window. In other promotions you may just get 1 fight in that time.

More money for Ali to launder.
As long as Ali is not aiding muslim terrorist organizations I say good for him. I'm happy that there is another option for MMA fighters. Long live the PFL.

Enjoyed their show so far, though I admit not a huge fan of the whole set up.

Glad they're growing and will be giving us more scraps.

With all the recent downpeaks in mma consumption and popularity , now is literally the worst time to invest big in mma imo.

Back