problom at my bjj school

There's always ways to get out of gym memberships... If you are injured or moved away for example, you can terminate at any time.. You may have to pay an extra month but at least you'll be done with it. Do you have a copy of what you signed?

Common misconception about contracts. Just because I put something in writing on a contract, and you sign it, doesn’t mean that you have to do whatever I put in the contract. Even if it is clear, and both parties consider it reasonable at the time, still does not mean that a court will enforce it. Take a business law course sometime, its an eye opener.

Couldnt agree more.

No signed contracts in any martial arts school is binding I would believe. Its kinda like the injury waiver (its only for stupid people). Contrary to what some people think if you get seriously injured in a BJJ school I am pretty damn sure that injury waiver isnt going to protect the school from being sued.

Ask any lawyer this and they will agree. If McDonalds can be sued because a customer bought hot coffee that was supposed to be hot because that is how it was ordered and WIN the case then a simple injury waiver form or BJJ school contract can be voided or you can sue etc.

Please read the McDonald's case before saying anything about it. It's about the most misunderstood case in history. McDonald's did not get sued because someone ordered hot coffee and got hot coffee. Also, what happened in that case is no no way comparable to a breach of contract case.

But you are right about the martial arts school contracts. They are total BS and I bet you not was in all of history has ever been successfully enforced against a student that walked on it.

Its amazing how many legal experts are on this board. (Medical experts when there is an injury question). See if they will let you out of it, if not consult an attorney in your area so that you may be advised of your rights.

Its amazing how many legal experts are on this board. (Medical experts when there is an injury question). See if they will let you out of it, if not consult an attorney in your area so that you may be advised of your rights.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think he asked the question on sherdog to get advice from fellow bjj students, not to be referred to a lawyer.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think he asked the question on sherdog to get advice from fellow bjj students, not to be referred to a lawyer.

True, but I beleive it is a problem if he is getting legal advise (as some of it could be considered) from people who are not in a position to provide it. Just as people people who post "I hurt knee 3 months ago and still can't walk" (or something similar) should be told to see a dr, in my opinion he should be told to see a lawyer if he is unable to take care of it himself.

True, but I beleive it is a problem if he is getting legal advise (as some of it could be considered) from people who are not in a position to provide it. Just as people people who post "I hurt knee 3 months ago and still can't walk" (or something similar) should be told to see a dr, in my opinion he should be told to see a lawyer if he is unable to take care of it himself.

I think people who are current bjj students under contract, and who have gotten out of contracts, are definately in position to give advice, which is why he asked (he wasnt asking for legal advice, and i think he knows he isnt getting it here).

I also dont think this is worth paying a consultation fee over, or he might as well just pay what is remaining on his contract.

Considering you signed up at Muay Thai school, I don't think you have a case here.

Right now the instructor is a Bjj blue belt who has not trained Bjj seriously in the past year. He is one of the main Thai boxing coaches and I respect him but with every one searching for other places to train it just don't feel like home here any more ( I rather not say my school )

Perhaps he is an interim BJJ instructor and they are looking for a new one? Have you asked?

Have you tried asking the gym about this? You'd be surprised how often actually talking to the relevant people will help you.

If they are cool about it, problem soved. If they aren't, you start gathering legal info and get some advice from proper sources.

I have heard of gyms sending people to collections when cheques bounce. Why wouldn't they send it to collections if you broke a contract? They don't need to go to court for that.

In fairness, most contracts offer a reduced monthly price for a longer-term commitment. So a person trying to leave early has enjoyed the discount without keeping up their end of the bargain.

I understand and sympathize with the TS's dilemma, though. Tough spot.

Back