problom at my bjj school

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tapouttazz9, Nov 3, 2010.

1. tapouttazz9 White Belt

I'm stuck in a real hard position right now with my school I have been at for a year and a half now. The head Bjj teacher has left and he was the reason why every one wanted to train there. He was not a black belt but he new his stuff and he was the soul of our gym. Now it seems like most people are going to be looking for other places to train. My thing is I don't feel like this is the place for me to get better any more and it just doesn't feel the same, so its time for a change. My big problem is they make you sign contracts and long term. Has any one ever tried to get out of one of the contracts like this and if so how did it go?

2. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

A contract is a legally binding document. As much as the situation sucks, you're obligated, by law, to see it through.

3. jericksen5 Black Belt

I disagree. If it was implied when you signed the contract, either written or verbal, that you would be getting instruction from a particular coach, and he is no longer there, then you have a legitimate case to break your contract.

4. Ballzilla Yellow Belt

Good luck fighting that in court.

5. Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Is the head instructor not the owner of the school? If he is and he left shouldn't that contract be void?

6. tapouttazz9 White Belt

The head instructor does not own the school

7. Hillary Brown Belt

Most places will let you terminate with 30 day notice if that's the case.

8. Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

Just out of curiosity is this an MMA school? or does BJJ just rent out space and you've signed a contract with the entire gym?

9. tapouttazz9 White Belt

It's a muay Thai gym that also has Bjj class I and some people mainly go to the jiujitsu class

10. juji gatame** Brown Belt

call up your lawyer bro.

11. cenix Orange Belt

read your contract thoroughly then talk to the owner of the school about it. i'm sure you can work something out in a civil manner.

12. ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

No signed contracts in any martial arts school is binding I would believe. Its kinda like the injury waiver (its only for stupid people). Contrary to what some people think if you get seriously injured in a BJJ school I am pretty damn sure that injury waiver isnt going to protect the school from being sued.

Ask any lawyer this and they will agree. If McDonalds can be sued because a customer bought hot coffee that was supposed to be hot because that is how it was ordered and WIN the case then a simple injury waiver form or BJJ school contract can be voided or you can sue etc.

13. MMA junkie Purple Belt

Where do you train? Have you asked them who the new instructor is going to be?

14. tapouttazz9 White Belt

Right now the instructor is a Bjj blue belt who has not trained Bjj seriously in the past year. He is one of the main Thai boxing coaches and I respect him but with every one searching for other places to train it just don't feel like home here any more ( I rather not say my school )

15. Lutador011 Blue Belt

How much money is at stake?

It is my understanding that a ''contract'' with a martial arts school means that you just pay 3, 6, 9 months in advance not that you are obliged to train exclusivly with them or are obliged to show up for practice

16. JCarlitz White Belt

Thats your out. contracts work both ways. payment in echange for certain level of services. if they replaced your instructor w a blue belt, youre free. Yiure not getting the same level of service. furher, it would be too expensive to take you to court, so no bjj school will ever actually do it. its just to scare you away from leaving or not paying. those contracts are a joke in all cases.

17. Brian2 Blue Belt

How long of a contract did you sign? I would think after a year and a half your contract would have expired and went month to month. I had a similar situation but, it wasn't because an instructor left it was simply because too many new guys came and went and I felt like there wasn't enough regular talent to improve my game. simply talk to the owner and tell him you were interested in BJJ and now that the instructor is gone you would like to cancel the contract. I am sure you could work something out. But asking sherdog won't fix anything, use this effort to ask the contract holder

18. tapouttazz9 White Belt

Its a 2 year contract I signed a about 4 or 5 months ago. I never thought any thing like this woukd happen it was not Evan on my mind

19. Brian2 Blue Belt

I would just explain to them that the services your signed up for, are not the same services you are recieving now. In reality they broke the contract already

20. All In The Game Green Belt

Was in a similar situation not too long ago, I left the school I was at to go with my instructor to another location.

Honestly, the guy who was in charge of the school seemed pretty pissed off from the e-mail exchange we had, but eventually voided the contract. I think the first thing to do would be to talk to the owner 1 on 1 and see if he's understanding of the situation, and if a lot of people are leaving at once then it will probably make your argument stronger.