Problems with making weight for BJJ Competition.

Steveston

Lion's Den
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a problem with making weight and I'm not sure what to do, I have to be 141 pounds for my BJJ competition and I'm only 132 pounds at the moment. I'm not aloud to cut weight due to my kidney disease which would have been 126 so I can only gain weight which is very difficult to do because of my metabolism, what do you guys think I should do? Thanks -UniqueSteez

Why do you have to gain weight for an IBJJF comp? Also, your 2nd sentence doesn't really make sense.

IIRC you can fight in a higher weightclass, you don't have to fight at your actual weight.

With your condition, I would just go at your natural weight to this tournament. After that, work on a bulking plan that your doctor would approve of. Also, I wouldn't as the internet for health advice.

Oh I get it now... you are saying you would cut to rooster, but now you are going to be in feather and only weigh 132.

There is only one way to gain weight- take in more calories. Since you want to gain muscle and not fat, you will need to take in more calories from protein and lift heavy weight. There is no secret.

That said, after you add in a 4 pound gi and you are only 4 or 5 pounds from the limit... it isn't some massive disadvantage. I wouldn't worry too much about it personally.

Just compete who gives a shit. Not like you get paid. I fight at what I way. My quality of life has never been better!

Obviously you should run everything your gona do by your doc or RD if you have a health concern. But Il pass on to you a valuable piece of advice I once received for gaining weight. Its easier to drink calories than it is to eat them. Shakes, especially homemade ones, are great for gaining weight. Here are 2 good ones I use, 1 of them suitable for vegetarians

-1 or 2 % milk
-instant oatmeal
-whey or egg protein powder
-peanut butter
-nesquik chocolate syrup
-frozen banana

healthier alternative
-Chocolate flavor brown rice protein powder
-plain or vanilla almond milk
-almond butter
-cocoa powder
-frozen banana

The healthy one I actually prefer and it provides a ton of quality calories.

Fight at the weight your are. It wont be a huge disadvantage for you because you will probably feel better the day of your matches than the guys that did cut weight and then try to hydrate back up.

BTW, as far as weight gain is concerned, regardless of metabolism, unless you have a health issue that prevents you from gaining weight, it is pretty simple if you want to be 150 lbs, you have to eat like a 150 lb man. Metabolism allows you to eat garbage and not gain weight, while others pack on fat. Eat 5-6+ nutritious meals, not Mcdonalds, pizza, etc. Work out and you should add 5-10 lbs of muscle the first year. Slow and steady process, but not rocket science.

I use to not be able to gain anything until I learned how to eat properly. Start there and good luck.

eat_all_the_foods.gif

If you try to put on weight to get up to the max for whatever weight class, you may continue to put on weight and so for the comp after will be in the same situation again.

Lift some weights and eat well but I wouldn't focus on putting on weight.

You are probably too small for open weight but you will be fine in your weightclass which ever class it may be.

Back