Problems Holding Top Position

good advice from domonic , thats a good 'small-man jits' game. im 5'6 , 175 and i can hold down much bigger guys using leverage and weight bro , its just takes a lot of practice and a lot of time. tip for side control , keep ur weight very far towards ur feet and try and push ur hips down as far as possible. it gives him space to roll away from u , but thats good cuz u can take his back.

and dont try to force anythin , let ur opponent dictate the moves u make. like sum guy once said 'flow with the go'. and apparently he was pretty good at jits

I always have a hard time holding down bigger people or anyone period

jadizm said:
I always have a hard time holding down bigger people or anyone period

strong you are in the ways of the force young jedi , but practice you must.

whenever you're thinking about base you have two key elements you need to work with.

A) your balls.
B) the mat.

they are like magnets: strong close together, and weak far away.. whenever you're trying to work for a pin you need to think, how can i get my balls closer to the mat while keeping my weight on this guy?

the rest is something anyone can teach you but they dont put enough stress on the balls part. you'll understand it better if you think about this as you're trying to control someone's movements.

lol , fightsong is right ,altho it is one ghey description

Dominic Kihlstrand said:
Um, as for holding the guy down, why would you want to do that? All you do when you hold a guy down is make yourself tired, and concentrated on not moving, while thats all that he's worried about, escaping. Try this just once for me, and see if you like it. Get in side control. When he tries to roll you, release him and try to go for north/south. When he tries to move from there, go to knee on belly, when he moves try to take side control on the other side. So on and so forth, take the easiest position you can get. As a smaller guy, it will be much harder for you to hold a guy down. So, try to move around more, and look for submissions, or try to take the back while you are moving.

AWESOME ADVICE MAN. I have been using this on a regular basis and it helps big time. I love the strategy of letting them toss me left and right and simply moving positions and trying new subs and always keeping an eye out for the back. Thanks so much.

I think often over looked and really simple is to put your forearm on their neck,
to pin them down along with your other forearm on their belly,
so this is almost like knee on the stomach but your using both your forearms
on him instead. your legs are free to move around and avoid the guard.

SuperCubsFan said:
AWESOME ADVICE MAN. I have been using this on a regular basis and it helps big time. I love the strategy of letting them toss me left and right and simply moving positions and trying new subs and always keeping an eye out for the back. Thanks so much.

Glad I could help. I love little guy jiu jitsu. That's all that it is. I use little guy jiu jitsu because i used to have a small instructor that was very agile. I learned from his game, and work in a agile, flexible, and sneaky way. And this throws alot of people off, considering I'm 215lbs lol. By the way, Marcelo Garcia is my grappling idol, so you can really see how I like little guy jiu jitsu.

SuperCubsFan said:
Hi,
I have had alot of problems controling my opponets from top position as I feel they can do to me. Is this possibly just a problem of size, or could I just be doing something fundamentally wrong? I am a small guy. I weigh around 136 and usually have this problem with much larger guys. Does it make sense to have problems like this with larger opponets or is it likely I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

don't feel bad i am 115 - 120 lbs and im 21 the good this about having low weight is you have to pay so much attention to detail or nothing will work for you.. so small guys usually get very technical

i was very lucky to have such good training partners and teachers though.. i guess.. so you probably dont have the same level of instruction going on

just be carefull because us small guys are vulnerable to injurys 8( even in light sparring

SuperCubsFan said:

where do you train?? you just need a better teacher... drop me a message if your ever in las vegas

wow after reading all of your posts i realized just how bad the instruction is people are getting, and getting belts for it....

i feel sorry for all of you guys because your getting ripped off and not learning what you should be

i wear a blue belt and will school everyone who posts on this website on technique

and definatly everyone in the UFC (besides royce) or TUF

but then again i was just lucky to know who i know

ch0ke said:
wow after reading all of your posts i realized just how bad the instruction is people are getting, and getting belts for it....

i feel sorry for all of you guys because your getting ripped off and not learning what you should be

i wear a blue belt and will school everyone who posts on this website on technique

Im asuming you are joking. Am I asuming right?

ch0ke said:

black_woman_1.jpg

Personally if the guys you're fighting are that much bigger than keep them busy worrying about subs and GnP instead of trying to get out from under you and it's a prime opportunity to get someones back if they try to roll out .

Back