Problem with washing Hand Wraps

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ChittyChitty, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Hey guys, last month I bought some pairs of Ringside Mexican Hand wraps on sale and so far I've only used one pair. When I compared them to my older Top Contender wraps that I've washed before, I noticed that the Ringsides were much longer, despite them being both 180 in. Last week my Ringside and TC wraps started stinking up so I gave them to my mom to wash(I'm still in high school so I don't do the laundry, haha). When I took the wraps out, I measured the Ringsides and saw that they became as short as my Top Contenders, and even the width became smaller! I was very disappointed to see this and asked my mom how she washed my wraps, and she told me she washed it in warm water. Maybe I should tell her to wash my other wraps in cold water next time.

Have any of you guys ever had this problem before? I'm not sure if this would be a big deal or not. It doesn't bother me too much, but I would much rather keep that foot or two of wrap that I paid for :(.

2. 1st
    Don't wait for them to stink.
    Things are growing in them...your skin gets raw under them...the things growing in your wraps get in your skin (and your gloves)

Wraps shrink.
    Excessive drying makes them shrink more

3. xn7

xn7 Red Belt

should've washed in cold water and air dried.

4. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

Never wash anything in warm water

5. vincent80

vincent80 Blue Belt

Hang dry ftmfw.

6. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

It depends on how she washed them. If they were done in a machine, did you get one of those mesh handwrap washing bags to keep them from getting stretched out or ruined? Or, if she did them by hand wash was one pair inadvertently stretched out during washing or drying?

Ps. I hope you told your mother "thank you" for washing your wraps.

:icon_chee

7. FromNJnoguido

FromNJnoguido Blue Belt

damn women always ruining stuff... use cold water and consider getting the mesh bag stated above. it works nice

8. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

How often should I wash my wraps?

I always thank my mother:icon_chee

She put them in a machine with warm water, and yes, I put both pairs in a little Ringside mesh bag that holds two pairs, but I didn't tie the string well enough and everything just spilled out:mad:

9. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Oh yeah, and the wraps were hung to dry, not put in the dryer.

10. FinalFish89

FinalFish89 White Belt

I wash my handwraps after each session, as another poster said, you don't want stuff growing in them. It's like washing your Gi after training or washing your underwear, you (should) be doing it after you use it, everytime.

I have two pairs of handwraps, after using them I'll soak them in cold water and hang/air dry them. It's pretty cold in Australia atm, so if they aren't dry in time for the next session, I'll use my backup pair.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Green Belt

Wash in cold water on the gentle/slow cycle and hang dry. This will help with shrinking and fading. That's basic laundry knowledge though lol.

Buy a few pairs to rotate and put them in a mesh laundry bag to keep them from tangling in your machine.

12. Kellogg's

Kellogg's Green Belt

You can just handwash them after training yourself, when you get home. A bucket, some water, a little detergeant, let them soak, go eat, after that rinse them out and put them to dry and you'll have fresh handwraps every time.