Problem with post Pride Fedor that the UFC can solve

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Snuc3315, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Snuc3315

Snuc3315 avoiding the grave for a while

I don't really buy into the "Fedor is avoiding competition" talk. However, after Pride went down, generally Fedor had to wait for management to negotiate each fight with an opponent that was acceptable. He spent a lot of time waiting because they needed specific fights. In Pride Fedor was able to fight who they gave him more regularly.

Granted, many recent UFC champions have fought even less often than post Pride Fedor did. Still, if he goes to the UFC he and his team will spend less time trying to find opponents, and more time focusing on them.

2. John Wayne's Teeth

John Wayne's Teeth Green Gucci Suit Platinum Member

Thats whats happening now. Fedor and his team are shopping around.

3. RoryMacdonald

RoryMacdonald Purple Belt

James Toney got $500k.

4. Phanuel

Phanuel Banned Banned

Zuffa will find a way to fuck this up.

Not getting hopes up.

5. DaveHilly

DaveHilly Black Belt

I'm a firm believer that Fedor's management is ruining his legacy.

6. icffedor

icffedor Blue Belt

I agree but at this point not much anybody can do, he has nothing to prove really and is almost 40..

7. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

how? him not joining the ufc at the time and goin to strikeforce was better. there was tougher comp at the time. they had DC,Ubereem,Werdum, and barnett. Arlovski too but that was during his slump. JDS and cain were still up and coming then and i think Brock or randy was champ for UFC

8. DaveHilly

DaveHilly Black Belt

At the time the general feeling was that going to Affliction and then Strikeforce was avoiding the top competition. As history has shown, the guys in Strikeforce were outstanding across the board.

However, his management's demands to co promote his matches was taken as him ducking the top fighters in the ufc. At the time the forums and mma media websites basically called him out for ducking top competition. It definitely hurt his legacy.

9. therealnod

therealnod Orange Belt

It was all based on Brock Lesnar. It was this thing they had in mind where Fedor wasn't really anything special but if they could just get him in the UFC and have Lesnar destroy him it would be the biggest thing in MMA ever. Dollars and nonsense.

10. mma midwest fan

mma midwest fan Purple Belt

There really are so many great matchups for Fedor in the UFC right now:

Werdum rematch
    Cain
    JDS
    Bigfoot rematch
    Arlosky rematch
    Mir
    Stipe

While highly unlikely, there is even the possibility of a Jones or Anderson superfight for Fedor if either of them can clear their legal hurdles. I really want to see Fedor in the UFC. Not holding my breath, though.

11. Sjeep

Sjeep White Belt

I disagree, the general opinion was that the Strikeforce HW divison was more top heavy than the UFC, although UFC was considered the better and bigger organization overall. It is noteworthy that Arlovksi and Sylvia left the UFC in order to be able to fight Fedor, and Randy tried to do the same but was stopped by Dana.

12. SpecialDelivery

SpecialDelivery Blue Belt

And he didnt see a penny of that. Owed the IRS which is the only reason he did the fight, heard it on the JRE.

13. Snuc3315

Snuc3315 avoiding the grave for a while

The competition in Affliction, and Strikeforce was top level for Fedor. Even the competition he faced in M-1 was reasonable for a fighter who had just lost a few. Still it seems like it took his management a lot of time and work to set up all of that. Before Fedor Affliction didn't do mma, and Strikeforce was a local promotion will very little HW activity.

In the UFC the negotiations would be easier you would think. If fighter A is hurt, he fights fighter B. I'm sure the UFC would love to put him on a variety of cards. Especially as they host events in Japan, Eastern Europe, and now potentially South Korea. Furthermore he would be a better headliner in the states than many other fighters.