problem with distance spinning heel kick

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by RR010V, Dec 22, 2016.

1. RR010V

RR010V Yellow Belt

Hello sherdoggers.

I searched some tips about landing the spinning heel kick. they all said that you have to set it up with a combo such as left hook and instantly throw the kick in one motion. When I do this I always hit them with my calves instead of my foot and it instantly knocks me of off balance. How can I improve my technique and use this kick?b because right now I don't dare to throw it in sparring because I just get knocked of balance.
    Thanks

2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

At that range it won't hit, its too close. I'm guessing its the same distance as a straight. Have you tried taking angle to give more room?

3. Yugo King

Yugo King You are overrated on Sherdog Double Yellow Card

honestly more preperation, it´s not a easy shot, you get a feel for it, for the distance and everything, despite the ufc highlights it´s super rare compared to other strikes to land

4. rmongler

rmongler Black Belt

Bicycle kicks are a better 'flash' technique, because you can both travel further and hit at any range along that distance, as well as modulate the exact trajectory of the kick itself (be it middle or high, strait or round), and also they don't leave you off as balance and can be easily faked or feinted.

5. aerius

aerius Red Belt

That's probably because you're throwing the left hook to land instead of as a feint. The left hook is only there to keep the other guy looking at your hands so that you can setup the spinning kick, if you're close enough to land the left hook you're too close to land the kick with your foot. Depending on your body proportions & stance, the range of a spinning heel kick is usually the same or a bit longer than the range on a jab, so that's the distance you want when you throw the kick. Throw the left hook as a feint and have it fall short, then use it to spin through for the kick.

poepstorm and RR010V like this.
  6. poepstorm

poepstorm White Belt

This, 100%.

Also, I get hit with a lot of spinning heel kicks because I often try to step around my opponents' front foot. It's an excellent weapon if someone is trying to flank you, in that case you don't even need to set it up.