Problem Throwing Right

FrankeTheTanke

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay so I've got a big right hand that I like to use, i'm 5'11" foot with a 75 inch reach, so I really like to use that large reach to an advantage, but I've always had a problem when I throw my right hand, especially straight and hook. I feel bones in my arm and shoulder moving. Lately it's gotten worse, it's more like small popping. It's not like it hurts but it's not comfortable at all and I feel like I could throw much harder if this wasn't happening.

Any advice? It doesn't do this when I throw with my left at all.

seem you need medical advice, go see a doctor.

That's what I don't want lol. I doubt there is much a doctor could do, I just stretched my shoulder a ton and my straight seems to be well, but the bones in my bicep and tricep keep popping with my hook. Is there a stretch I can do or what? Blah

How long has this been going on for?

That's what I don't want lol. I doubt there is much a doctor could do, I just stretched my shoulder a ton and my straight seems to be well, but the bones in my bicep and tricep keep popping with my hook. Is there a stretch I can do or what? Blah

Well I think a doctor with many years experience and even one working in the physical therapy/ sports field may have a way to help/fix it. Also, at least he can tell you what it is or isn't even if no "cure". Gives you a sure answer and you can train/fight according.

Because youre not punching properly.
If your arm hurts and is popping, that means youre throwing with your arm.

For a cross, you need to change your level a bit and throw with your ass, obliques and shoulder.

For a hook, you need to put your weight onto your backfoot and transfer tha energy to your core.

Sounds like you just dont know how to punch properly, go talk your coach about it and have him give you some extra attention.

go to a doctor asap. Shoulder injuries are no joke man, I ignored a small shoulder injury for a year and the small "popping" and minimal pain I was experiencing turned into extreme debilitating pain which resulted in me not being able to lift weights for 6 months cause I had to go to rehab, turned out it was a muscular imbalance I never got in check in addition to some strained muscles and could have been easily fixed if I went to a damn doctor like a smart person instead of toughing it out thinking I was a damn spartan.

Because youre not punching properly.
If your arm hurts and is popping, that means youre throwing with your arm.

For a cross, you need to change your level a bit and throw with your ass, obliques and shoulder.

For a hook, you need to put your weight onto your backfoot and transfer tha energy to your core.

Sounds like you just dont know how to punch properly, go talk your coach about it and have him give you some extra attention.

I've always figured my forms pretty good. I'll do what you said though since I'm new to this. I think I throw my cross perfect, but my hook does need work. Is there a video or tutorial you know that could help me achieve this form?

But when I switch and go southpaw, which I do a lot. I throw my hook the same way with no problem...

I've always figured my forms pretty good. I'll do what you said though since I'm new to this. I think I throw my cross perfect, but my hook does need work. Is there a video or tutorial you know that could help me achieve this form?

Yeah, im not saying youre an arm puncher or have shitty technique, it's just that everyone needs work in something and this just seems like your construction zone.

i cant find a good video for a hook to the head, i fought some decent ones for hooks to the body, if you'd like me to link them. I actually learned something.

What i didnt think about was your footwork. Are you flat footed?

because you could possibly be throwing them with your upper body perfectly, but if youre not shifting balance to your base properly you could be putting unnecessary strain your limbs.

I'm currently at home so I have no bag to hit but after shadow boxing a little I've noticed these:

-hook to body has same forearm pop as to the head
-I have poor footwork but I turn into the punch and throw with my core. I have good arch in my feet too.

I literally just started really trying to do MMA, so perhaps I should just do a masssive stretch and keep throwing it?

I'm currently at home so I have no bag to hit but after shadow boxing a little I've noticed these:

-hook to body has same forearm pop as to the head
-I have poor footwork but I turn into the punch and throw with my core. I have good arch in my feet too.

I literally just started really trying to do MMA, so perhaps I should just do a masssive stretch and keep throwing it?

1) Go see a doctor.

2) If your serious, find a reputable gym and go there. Shadow boxing at home isn't going to cut it.

1) Go see a doctor.

2) If your serious, find a reputable gym and go there. Shadow boxing at home isn't going to cut it.

I know that, it was 11 at night so maybe today I can go and truely figure out what the hell is wrong.

Go to a doctor immediately!

Other than that, try talking to your coach about it. It could have something to do with your punching technique.

lol I think I found the problem....

I didn't know the names of the bones and was too lazy to look it up. Especially since I had places to be.

But I did a little more tests and it seems to be the upper part of my humerous is doing the clicking. Since you provided helpful advice even though everybody else could understand what I was talking about.

Grow up and quit talking down to people.

I didn't know the names of the bones and was too lazy to look it up. Especially since I had places to be.

But I did a little more tests and it seems to be the upper part of my humerous is doing the clicking. Since you provided helpful advice even though everybody else could understand what I was talking about.

Grow up and quit talking down to people.

Talking down to people is what grown ups do. That's the fun part.

Seriously though, where is the clicking? Front of the shoulder? Armpit? Down where the deltoid attaches to your humerous?

It could be any number of issues. But It also sounds like you may need to reexamine your technique.

go to a combat training school and actually learn how to punch.

Back