Problem breathing while boxing?

Crazyhorsebeer**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I notice and also my instructor tell me whn im sparring, I seem to hold my breath by a bad habit, When IM in the ring When im on my toes and throwing combos thats when I hold my breath. I get wound up and hold my breath. Anyone offer any suggestions on how to breathe properly in the ring.

Your best bet if this is pure boxing is to work on your road-work and taking punches in the gut, because those force you to breathe moreso than getting hit in the face. Work on sprinting in your running, wind sprints, uphill and downhill, throw punches while you do, getting yourself used to releasing air as you punch. Medicine ball work is also a very good way to rid yourself of the habit of holding your breath if you do exercises and drills where it pops you in the gut. But ultimately, you have to make a conscious effort not to hold your breath. It's a bracing instinct.

King Kabuki said:
Your best bet if this is pure boxing is to work on your road-work and taking punches in the gut, because those force you to breathe moreso than getting hit in the face. Work on sprinting in your running, wind sprints, uphill and downhill, throw punches while you do, getting yourself used to releasing air as you punch. Medicine ball work is also a very good way to rid yourself of the habit of holding your breath if you do exercises and drills where it pops you in the gut. But ultimately, you have to make a conscious effort not to hold your breath. It's a bracing instinct.

King I don't post that much in this forum, but I read it every day. I just wanted to thank you(and and other posters with worthwhile input) for all the constructive input.

Breath out when you punch.This will help you breath and stops you from getting the wind knocked out of you if you get hit in the abbs when throwing a punch.

goodluck

you always need to breathe out when you punch. the gym i train at says that breathing is an incredibly important aspect in fighting because the built up emotion inside you will hinder your strikes

King I don't post that much in this forum, but I read it every day. I just wanted to thank you(and and other posters with worthwhile input) for all the constructive input.

Thanks man, that really means a lot in countering all the asspipes who tell me my post-count is too high. lol

Well when you do play-by-plays of Boxing cards in the Boxing forum, and attempt to actually post constructive and conversational material in the forums of interest it turns out a guy might actually have shit to say.

That would be the hissing type sound you hear boxers make when they are throwing punches. They are breathing out when letting a punch go. You should do this on every punch. Trust me, you will feel the difference.

Also not breathing right/holding your breath can actually tire you out faster. I used to have the same problem with holding my breath but I was getting tired. After working hard on making sure to breath and it became more natural, I found I had more staying power. Just remember to practice it and don't give up. It may seem to take a while, but you are trying to drop a habit, trying to correct a natural reflex for your body.

I had this bad habit too. The best way to get over it is IMO to work the heavy bag and make sure to breath out with every punch, almost like you're calling your shots. "Hnn hnn hnn. Hnn Hnn. Hnnn Hnn Hnn Hnn." Like that. Then you will get used to it and do it in sparring.

It will tire you out real fast if you don't learn to relax and breathe.

Oh, man. This was a bad habit for me when I started boxing way back in the day, and it is a bad habit again now that I'm getting back into training after a long layoff.

Zankou called it. Until exhaling on the punch becomes second-nature, you're going to have to think about your breathing, and try to be audible with it so you don't forget. I'm working on this right now. Like everything else, it takes focus and time.

edit: spelling

I find in most anything I do, if you have a habit of not doing something, exaggerate doing it in training. Then, in a real fight (or hard sparring), when you're not thinking about it you'll do it normally.

Example: I have a bad habit when shooting at the range (rifles or pistol) sometimes of not breathing in between shots; this leads to rushing my shots, blurry vision (from not breathing), rapid pulse, breathing in the middle of a shot...all resulting in bullets hitting around the target. When I sense I'm doing this, I'll start exaggerating my breathing. I'll inhale and exhale, almost as is gasping for air, enough that I can obviously tell even while wearing protective earmuffs.

When I did rifle drill as a recruit on Parris Island, we always exaggerated movements when practicing, since people tend to "under-do" it in practice. Get used to over-doing it, and you'll tend to do it normally, whatever it is.

Same thing in sparring, sorta: I used to drop my hands. My instructor's solution: grab the lapels of my dobak, or the shoulder straps of my chestgaurd, when sparring. Forcing you chin into your chest also help[s squelch the bad-- and common-- habit of presenting your chin to an opponent in a way that says "Punch this really hard!"

Try exaggerating your breathing for a bit and see if it helps.

breathing is hard when u're a beginner. i actually had one moment where istarted breathing. i saw someone kia everytime he punched and they landed hard and yet he wasn't tired. and i'm tired when i don't even hit that hard, so i started yelling when i punched one day and i was punching on and on and on and i wasn't getting tired.

i'm sorry i have no advice. all i can tell u is my story.

I agree with CanadianFightClub. My coach would make sure that we were breathing out while punching during shadowboxing and all the other drills we did. That helped a lot.

This a good thread and as a squid im trying to learn all the tips I can.Anymore?

i think often the breathing problem can be that you subconciously dont want to make a 'grunting' noise when you punch coz u think it will sound stupid... thats how i was wen i first started training... i used to hold my breath becoz i didnt want to sound funny. then you look around and you see the guys in the more advanced classes doing it plus the trainer's saying 'breathe!! breathe!!' and i just started kind of hissing when i punch and that taught me to breathe out with every punch

Crazyhorsebeer said:
I notice and also my instructor tell me whn im sparring, I seem to hold my breath by a bad habit, When IM in the ring When im on my toes and throwing combos thats when I hold my breath. I get wound up and hold my breath. Anyone offer any suggestions on how to breathe properly in the ring.

used to happen to me when i would sprint.. or when i was throwin out combos, and when i would grapple hard.. but you just have to relax and just keep a rythem when you breath..

....The best thing to tell any beginer in any striking art is "you can sound how retarded you want as long as your breathing out hard with every punch!, it will give oxygen to your muscle and make you hit much harder!" ....

And there can propably be an whole science to the "boxer hsss" if you like to.. its kind of like your "whistling" just that your not actually are whistling... Thaifighters makes a sligthly different hissing when striking and kicking I have noted... And the we do of course have the karate kiiiaaii(!!) ... All which are brothers and sisters... ...kind of...

I had the same problem, I had to become conscientious of it and started to breathe out when I was punching now it comes naturally

Another way to help you breathing is during your skipping, breath in for 4 exhale for 4, work up it up to more helps gets your breathing slower and less chance of gassing, when we do cardio work outs on mits bags also the same breath in for four punches and then exhale for the four punches and work up to more if you want. I dunno if i wrote that down easy to understand, its pretty good to help build up a nice rhythm when your aching also.
When sparring what others have said exhale every punch.
But its seriously going to have to be one of those small things you have try and concentrate on when training until it comes natural

I just started training last week and I'm having this problem. The guy I was rolling with kept telling me to breathe and so did my coach. I didn't realize I wasn't breathing until the round ended and I was completely gassed.

I always wondered what that awful hissing noise was all about. I will be sure to give it a try next week.

Thanks

Back