Probably a very basic question about armbars

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by stoops36, Sep 27, 2010.

1. stoops36

stoops36 Brown Belt

Alright so everytime i go for an armbar i seem to get stacked and they end up getting out of it. Is there anything specific that i can remember to do to prevent this from happening or is it simply just remembering to pinch the knees or what. Thanks

2. CyberFreq

CyberFreq Blue Belt

Keep pressure on their head.
    Keep them in close to you with your calves.
    Don't let go of their arm.

Also, ask your instructor.

3. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

spin underneath them.

if you're armbaring their right arm. Switch to grab their arm with your left arm, then reach under them and across to their opposite (i.e. right) leg and spin your body underneath them while keeping your knees pinched and the arm locked. This should end you up with your head facing their feet (head near their right hip on the outside) and them in a turtle position. You can finish the armbar there, but make sure you don't let them step over you or you'll lose it.

4. chirpin4th

chirpin4th Orange Belt

there are so many things to look for in this position.... You should really ask your instructor to go over it.

I don't really care for that kesting video.

5. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

For starters make sure you are not attacking straight. Hip out and attack from an angle, it makes it harder for the person to stack. Beyond that we can only give generalizations. post a video or ask your instructor.

6. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Attack from an angle. Spin under or sweep to finish. Shoulder walk to avoid the stack. Any of these might help.

7. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

In addition to all of the good advice above (angle, climbing the back/shoulders, keeping their posture down, etc.), you are probably rushing toward the finish, which means you are not very tight when you attack. You've probably heard the phrase that jiu-jitsu is like sex... the tighter the better. IMHO, armbars from the bottom are like... well, anal sex. You want everything extra tight.