Pro-wrestling shoots? Works turned shoot, shoots in a worked federation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered where guys like Mark Henry or Bigshow would stand, if based only on their size.

Alhough didn't Regal have a pop at Show a while back in the locker room? But I think that was just yelling at him for being fat.

Also, just because a wrestler has some legit background in amateur wrestling (or any form of grappling) doesn't necessarily mean someone wouldn't try to take advantage of them. You mention Kurt Angle, and even with his amazing amateur pedigree, i think you forget that Daniel Puder still saw fit to take advantage of Kurt and likely would've made him tap if the ref hadn't have saved him. So that's not the safest assumption either.

Again the thing about that was that the objective was a pinfall. Angle was not expecting to get put in a kimura because it really had no place in that competition, because it was a freestyle wrestling exhibition. Were circumstances different who knows what would have happened.

As far as Regal and Show's incident, Show said something disrespectful to either Regal or someone Regal was friends with and then cut a lockerroom promo about how he'd be a star if he "ever got his fat ass in any kind of shape other than round".

We've mentioned the Johnny Valentine-Jay York issue before, but never the WHOLE story so here it is.

After a show in NY, Johnny and Jay are out drinking till about 5 am. Valentine had just bought himself a new car. So York fills the car with water. So its the winter time and the water in the car freezes. Valentine is dead drunk and opens the car and sees its a block of ice inside that he needs to let melt.

To get York back, Valentine waited for Jay York to go out for his match. York had asthma, so Valentine took his inhaler and filled it with lighter fluid and almost killed Jay. Well that was too much for the Alaskan who wanted revenge, so he goes out to his car and grabs a sawed off shotgun and to this day swore he was going to kill Valentine. He walks up to Johnny in the shower and has the gun ****ed and ready to blow Valentine to hell, so he thinks about it, and then just blows a hole in Valentine's haliburton briefcase.

So Valentine and York make up and take it upon themselves to work the boys with their little heated rivalry that they've gotten over. So they're outside of the arena and York fires off his gun, and Valentine stumbles into the locker room clutching his chest with fake blood and everyone thinking York shot him.

One of the guys who happened to be on the card that night was Harley Race. So Harley walks in with his gun ready to shoot Jay York if he has to, before York damn near shits his pants and him and Valentine let everyone in on it.

Again the thing about that was that the objective was a pinfall. Angle was not expecting to get put in a kimura because it really had no place in that competition, because it was a freestyle wrestling exhibition. Were circumstances different who knows what would have happened.

As far as Regal and Show's incident, Show said something disrespectful to either Regal or someone Regal was friends with and then cut a lockerroom promo about how he'd be a star if he "ever got his fat ass in any kind of shape other than round".

We've mentioned the Johnny Valentine-Jay York issue before, but never the WHOLE story so here it is.

After a show in NY, Johnny and Jay are out drinking till about 5 am. Valentine had just bought himself a new car. So York fills the car with water. So its the winter time and the water in the car freezes. Valentine is dead drunk and opens the car and sees its a block of ice inside that he needs to let melt.

To get York back, Valentine waited for Jay York to go out for his match. York had asthma, so Valentine took his inhaler and filled it with lighter fluid and almost killed Jay. Well that was too much for the Alaskan who wanted revenge, so he goes out to his car and grabs a sawed off shotgun and to this day swore he was going to kill Valentine. He walks up to Johnny in the shower and has the gun ****ed and ready to blow Valentine to hell, so he thinks about it, and then just blows a hole in Valentine's haliburton briefcase.

So Valentine and York make up and take it upon themselves to work the boys with their little heated rivalry that they've gotten over. So they're outside of the arena and York fires off his gun, and Valentine stumbles into the locker room clutching his chest with fake blood and everyone thinking York shot him.

One of the guys who happened to be on the card that night was Harley Race. So Harley walks in with his gun ready to shoot Jay York if he has to, before York damn near shits his pants and him and Valentine let everyone in on it.

Yeah i got that, but my point about that was that it's not safe to assume that just because someone has a real background in wrestling/submission grappling or whatever, that someone else won't try to mess with them or take advantage of them. There's always gonna be guys out there who want to prove their own toughness or skills by messing with a known, respected tough guy, bad ass or grappler, be it by shooting on them in a match (and perhaps trying to get a victory when it's not booked that way) or picking a fight backstage. Whether they're successful or not at doing it is another matter i suppose.

Jake The Snake Roberts is the toughest man in pro wrestling, He's been doing everything he can to kill himself the past 25 years, yet he's still alive

Rikidozan vs. Kimura?

That's a good one. The alleged set up was that after Kimura had acheived his fame and had beaten up Helio Gracie he and Rikidozan began talking about how much money they could make with a series of bouts. The first was supposed to go to a draw, the second was supposed to be decided by rock, paper, scissors and the same thing with the third. So according to Kimura they rehearsed any judo throws he may use, and any striking techniques Rikidozan would use so that neither man would get hurt accidentally.

According again to Kimura during the bout, Rikidozan must have gotten greedy thinking about how much money HE would make by beating Kimura rather than a draw and rematches because of the impact on his reputation. So he motions to throw a chop and Kimura opens up his chest and instead of hitting him there Rikidozan cracks him in the throat and just unleashes a bunch of kicks and stomps. Its reported by Kimura that he received a phonecall after the match saying that "He is going to be taken care of for his treachery."

Kimura was a bad dude till the day he died though. He really only did his wrestling/judo tour after this because his wife fell very ill and he needed to pay for her medication and treatments.

That's a good one. The alleged set up was that after Kimura had acheived his fame and had beaten up Helio Gracie he and Rikidozan began talking about how much money they could make with a series of bouts. The first was supposed to go to a draw, the second was supposed to be decided by rock, paper, scissors and the same thing with the third. So according to Kimura they rehearsed any judo throws he may use, and any striking techniques Rikidozan would use so that neither man would get hurt accidentally.

According again to Kimura during the bout, Rikidozan must have gotten greedy thinking about how much money HE would make by beating Kimura rather than a draw and rematches because of the impact on his reputation. So he motions to throw a chop and Kimura opens up his chest and instead of hitting him there Rikidozan cracks him in the throat and just unleashes a bunch of kicks and stomps. Its reported by Kimura that he received a phonecall after the match saying that "He is going to be taken care of for his treachery."

Kimura was a bad dude till the day he died though. He really only did his wrestling/judo tour after this because his wife fell very ill and he needed to pay for her medication and treatments.
... supposedly it was him who placed the hit on Rikidozan

Does any one know anything about Dory Funk Sr? I have heard he was a either a shooter or a hooker.

I've only watched it once, and was out of my mind tired, but Tim Sylvia/Le Banner sure looked like it turned into a shoot. That or Le Banner is just really bad at pulling his kicks.

I've only watched it once, and was out of my mind tired, but Tim Sylvia/Le Banner sure looked like it turned into a shoot. That or Le Banner is just really bad at pulling his kicks.

LeBanner sucks at pulling his strikes, I know as IGF Champ he's already legit KO'd a guy with a punch

I'll check into i but I am not aware of it. To my knowledge, Bruno and Gorilla were great friends and Bruno actually did the job to Monsoon in Puerto Rico in the 70's while Monsoon was the North American champ. Monsoon owned a piece of Puerto Rico and a piece of the WWWF and booked the WWWF guys down there. Of course they loved it. The pay was great and the island was paradise.
If they did have a shoot my money would be on Monsoon. He was the locker room enforcer for Sr for a time and finished 2nd in the NCAA D-1 wrestling tourney as senior in 1959.

Then I'm afraid you would be wrong. they were great friends but from what I heard Monsoon crossed the line one day and Bruno kicked his ass. The one thing people forget about Sammartino is besides his unbelievable strength (benched 565 lbs in 1959 steroid free) and his endurance, Bruno also wrestled quite well and boxed. Bruno used to spar with Sonny Liston and Liston tried to talk him into becoming a professional boxer. Bruno was a beast and I can't imagine Monsoon wanting to mess with Bruno. Supposedly some pro Football player from the CFl along with 4 other guys started some s**t with Bruno and Brunop along with a little help from the Iron Sheik clean their clocks. Bruno was the real deal.

Then I'm afraid you would be wrong. they were great friends but from what I heard Monsoon crossed the line one day and Bruno kicked his ass. The one thing people forget about Sammartino is besides his unbelievable strength (benched 565 lbs in 1959 steroid free) and his endurance, Bruno also wrestled quite well and boxed. Bruno used to spar with Sonny Liston and Liston tried to talk him into becoming a professional boxer. Bruno was a beast and I can't imagine Monsoon wanting to mess with Bruno. Supposedly some pro Football player from the CFl along with 4 other guys started some s**t with Bruno and Brunop along with a little help from the Iron Sheik clean their clocks. Bruno was the real deal.

Gorilla Monsoon was a successful amateur wrestler at Ithaca. Sammartino had very little amateur experience. Never boxed pro or amateur. He was right, you were wrong. Monsoon would've obliterated Sammartino in a shoot.

I remember watching a video on YouTube a long time ago where some wrestler 'delivered a receipt' by jumping off the turnbuckle, and stomping on some dudes chest, and he started spewing blood from his mouth.

It was insane.

I have always, and will always, call BS on that. That's Invader #3, not Jose Gonzales who was Invader #1 WHO KILLED BRODY. Can't believe people who watch and understand wrestling still not see that was fake just meant to build up to a bigger match.

Take a look at how Manny lands his knees. His other knee and leg touches the mat first before his right knee lands on Invader #3. If he really wanted to cause him pain, he would've landed full force on Invader instead of hitting the mat first with his other knee.

Another thing to note, why would Invader #3 lay there on his back so Manny could get up on the ropes and drop two more consecutive knees?

Besides that, and more importantly, Manny Fernandez continued to work for WWC after this incident and Manny and Invader #3 also worked matches again later that year, specifically the big Anniversary Show in October of 1989 less than 6 months later. I hope I have that month and year correct as my wrestling memory isn't as sharp as what it once was.

This was a work to build up an angle, nothing more and nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back