Pro Wrestling Discussion 177: Lunatic Fringe, We All Know You're Out There!

Mr Undertaker sir, can I have a picture for my son. Vs Hey Mark, wait up a minute, put your fist up.

They popped every time an NWO guy got beat up: DDP giving the cutter to Hall and Nash, Piper over Hogan, Luger over Giant, Luger over Hogan and really exploded for Goldberg over Hogan and the entire Sting angle, Giant standing up to Hogan at Starrcade 1996 (wasn't even a full fledged face turn, just a tease). They liked the Outsiders a far more than the other NWO guys. If the outsiders weren't involved, guaranteed NWO was gonna get booed when the face showed up.

I like when I don't have to listen to "this is wrestling... clap clap" or "you deserve it clap clap" or this is "awesome" and then the really annoying "CM Punk" chants.

If you are focused on critiquing the match halfway through it, must not be that into the match, should be reacting to it instead. And that's what they did. ECW fans were more focused on getting themselves over, and all subsequent crowds have followed suit ie "We are awesome".

The only reason fans do those chants is because WWE put out a lot of garbage on Raw these days. As I have said previously, if the ECW/Raw fans were /are trying to "get themselves over" they must be doing a great job of it.
I dont think that is the case with either. ECW fans were a part of what made ECW what it was. Without them it would not be looked back on half as fondly as it is.
As for the Raw fans who "hijack" shows, I dont care what they chant. They paid their money they can say what they want. If WWE dont want that to happen - put on a good show. Simple as that.

The only reason fans do those chants is because WWE put out a lot of garbage on Raw these days. As I have said previously, if the ECW/Raw fans were /are trying to "get themselves over" they must be doing a great job of it.
I dont think that is the case with either. ECW fans were a part of what made ECW what it was. Without them it would not be looked back on half as fondly as it is.
As for the Raw fans who "hijack" shows, I dont care what they chant. They paid their money they can say what they want. If WWE dont want that to happen - put on a good show. Simple as that.

they do those chants at ROH and NXT as well, the shows they enjoy. They want to be as much part of the show as the wrestlers. I don't like it as a viewer and it fucks up my experience. I wish they'd just fuck off.

I wouldnt be suprised if it was even more than that. I cant imagine who the hell wanted to see Lindland vs Fedor.

Roughly 12000 buys, if I recall correctly. He was a great fighter, but a pudgy Russian with limited English was never going to get over, especially with a complete lack of fights outside of Russia and Japan to give him some notoriety. Really shows the depth of hardcore fandom and why the UFC caters to the casual fan.

they do those chants at ROH and NXT as well, the shows they enjoy. They want to be as much part of the show as the wrestlers. I don't like it as a viewer and it fucks up my experience. I wish they'd just fuck off.

Fair enough, you don't like it. If that's what they wanna do, be part of the show then that's fine with me. Not much anyone can do about it I would say with the way WWE is run now.

Nxt needs to get out of full sail. At least to a bit of traveling to see what fans really think of their talent.

Roughly 12000 buys, if I recall correctly. He was a great fighter, but a pudgy Russian with limited English was never going to get over, especially with a complete lack of fights outside of Russia and Japan to give him some notoriety. Really shows the depth of hardcore fandom and why the UFC caters to the casual fan.

McGregor > Fedor.

Nxt needs to get out of full sail. At least to a bit of traveling to see what fans really think of their talent.

That is a very good idea.

Can't really disagree. It's one thing if it's a really shit match that they're drowning out, but it happens for everything.

That said, they paid to be there, so you sadly have to accept it.

Other people have paid money to watch the show without neck beard chants.

Other people have paid money to watch the show without neck beard chants.

Everybody has paid so everybody is entilted to say/chant what they want.

Fan Group A: "We are awesome."

Fan Group B: "Please be qui-et."

Everybody has paid so everybody is entilted to say/chant what they want.

Fan Group A: "We are awesome."

Fan Group B: "Please be qui-et."

You are not entitled to fuck up somebody's evening just be caused you paid the entry fee. There are still norms, rules, laws and traditions to follow at any event, public or private.

Obviously this is flexible because of you go to ECW One Night Only you expect Cena to be booed and its part of the experience. At a Raw Event for kids, drunk neck beard chants against everything and everybody can fuck it up for the families.

Hey I enjoy a John Cena Sucks chant but some fuckers are totally hijacking with their chants. The selfie/twitter look at me generation with an expectation of being noticed.

You are not entitled to fuck up somebody's evening just be caused you paid the entry fee. There are still norms, rules, laws and traditions to follow at any event, public or private.

Obviously this is flexible because of you go to ECW One Night Only you expect Cena to be booed and its part of the experience. At a Raw Event for kids, drunk neck beard chants against everything and everybody can fuck it up for the families.

Hey I enjoy a John Cena Sucks chant but some fuckers are totally hijacking with their chants. The selfie/twitter look at me generation with an expectation of being noticed.

What are these?

I think WWE are partially to blame, because of all the praise they heaped upon that post WM 29 Raw crowd. Now, people go to the shows to make it about them. I think Pro-Wrestling is the only form of entertainment where audience members can try to make the show all about themselves, and are seemingly encouraged in doing so.

Can you imagine going to see a comedian and doing that shit? Bill Burr is on stage, and some asshole at the back is chanting "KEVIN HART! KEVIN HART!" someone says "Why the fuck are you chanting for Kevin Hart? He's not even here!" and the reply is "Fuck you, I've paid to be here, I can do what I want, Bill Burr should cater his routine to my specific interests, and if he doesn't I'm gonna hijack the show!" He'd be thrown out.

In fact, just imagine today's fan back in the days of Dusty vs. The Horsemen during the Crockett days. They'd be driven crazy "Dude! Dusty didn't win the title! Let's get a petition together to make the bookers put the title on him! Better yet, let's get a refund, because the finish of the match was unsatisfactory!" "Yeah, and don't get me started on Magnum TA... THEY'RE BURYING HIM!"

Last edited:
I think WWE are partially to blame, because of all the praise they heaped upon that post WM 29 Raw crowd. Now, people go to the shows to make it about them. I think Pro-Wrestling is the only form of entertainment where audience members can try to make the show all about themselves, and are seemingly encouraged in doing so.

Can you imagine going to see a comedian and doing that shit? Bill Burr is on stage, and some asshole at the back is chanting "KEVIN HART! KEVIN HART!" someone says "Why the fuck are you chanting for Kevin Hart? He's not even here!" and the reply is "Fuck you, I've paid to be here, I can do what I want, Bill Burr should cater his routine to my specific interests, and if he doesn't I'm gonna hijack the show!" He'd be thrown out.

In fact, just imagine today's fan back in the days of Dusty vs. The Horsemen during the Crockett days. They'd be driven crazy "Dude! Dusty didn't win the title! Let's get a petition together to make the bookers put the title on him! Better yet, let's get a refund, because the finish of the match was unsatisfactory!" "Yeah, and don't get me started on Magnum TA... THEY'RE BURYING HIM!"

If a comedian sucks, he gets heckled.

He does, however, there are also assholes who show up, try to make the shows all about themselves, and they're kicked out.

The only time I notice these chants that shit on the show are during awful shit like the bunny/gator/bull segments or when the Authority come out at the top of a show and drone on for 20 mins. The majority dont want to see that. That's why it gets heckled.

He does, however, there are also assholes who show up, try to make the shows all about themselves, and they're kicked out.

That's more because they're hideously drunk than obnoxious.

The only time I notice these chants that shit on the show are during awful shit like the bunny/gator/bull segments or when the Authority come out at the top of a show and drone on for 20 mins. The majority dont want to see that. That's why it gets heckled.

But, in my opinion, there's a big difference between chanting "This is stupid" at MiniGator vs. El Torito, and trying to emulate that post-WM crowd. When it's relevant to what's happening, fair enough, that Torito/Gator thing was stupid, same with those two bitches who were off some TV show.

My issue is, and always has been, when fans do shit to get themselves over, like chanting irrelevant shit during a good match (Barrett vs. Ziggler, and the NXT Fatal 4 Way for example) and making it about themselves.

Back