Pro fighters my size?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by c0r1nth14n, Sep 26, 2010.

1. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I've been doing muay thai for about 8 months, and I'm starting to think about trying a smoker match or something similar. It would be a long way off, probably a year or so, but I've been trying to find pro fighters of my size that I could watch. I've got a very slender build, I'm at 5'9" and about 145 lbs/65 kg right now. I could put on maybe another 10 pounds tops (I'm working on building some more muscle), but probably not quite that much, and I imagine I'd want to cut weight after that. I'm guessing I'd want to fight at welterweight. I've been looking around, but having trouble finding muay thai (or k-1 would work) fighters of my size. They mostly seem to be shorter and stockier.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows some good fighters of that size, or where I could find a list of Muay Thai/K-1 welterweight champions? Or if I'm completely wrong in my assumptions about weight class or something? Thanks for all your help!

2. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

buakaw por pramuk is 5'9 153 pounds. you'd probably get a lot of thais with similar builds

3. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I'll try him, thanks!

4. RealDealSteele

RealDealSteele White Belt

Look at most of the fairtex fighters. They'll be good guys to watch.

5. The_observer86

The_observer86 Green Belt

There was a K-1 63 kg tournament this year, plenty of ppl your size. Check it out. Yuta Kubo in the final match is also 5'9''.

6. Peekay1982

Peekay1982 Orange Belt

Are you in Seoul? If you're in Korea, 65kg is a very deep weight class for K1 rules and/or Muay Thai (most associations class this as welterweight or thereabouts - there are 9 different governing bodies for MT/kickboxing in Korea). Most guys fighting at that weight are around 5'7" or so. You could even cut down to 62kg and probably have a bit of a reach advantage (very few Koreans cut weight, even at pro level). Whatever level you want to fight at in Korea, there will be plenty of fights for you at this weight, from amateur inter-gym to professional. K1 started a -63kg class this year, too and lots of Koreans are looking to take part in it.

7. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I'm in Seoul right now, but I wouldn't be fighting until I can get back to the US, for a variety of reasons - language barrier slows down my training, things like that. I'm hoping to be doing muay thai in the Los Angeles area when I get back so that would probably be where I'd be looking to fight.

8. DaGenius

DaGenius Silver Belt

If youre coming back to LA, you will have plenty of smoker opponents of your size. Dont worry about watching pros because if you train at any good gym they will tell you to focus on your training and you.

9. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

Well yeah, but for right now I was hoping to watch some guys my size and just get a feel for fighting styles that work at this height/weight, and also just for fun.

10. The_observer86

The_observer86 Green Belt

11. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

Thanks Observer, been looking into more of the K-1 guys this week, looks pretty close to what I want. Thanks!