Pro-Beijing NBA vs Pro-HongKong Houston Rockets: a foreshadowing for MMA?

vgff

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
China has been the main driver in global economic growth for most of the 00s.
as Chinas economy grows, it has become the biggest, untapped market for a lot of global corporations.
NBA is a good example. the recent conflicts between pro-democracy Hong Kong protests and Beijing.
Houston Rockets GM tweeting in support of HK protests, while the NBA is siding with Beijing.

do you think UFC and other MMA promotions will compromise on democratic values to keep their access in the $$$bln Chinese market?

In response to the Hong Kong controversy, Dana White is offering every UFC bonus winner a 2 months free World of WarCraft subscription

As much as I hate Hollywood, imagine if China owned UFC. Good thing Dalian Wanda lost out, I guess?

Dana isn't paid to die on a hill that no major corporation is going to support.

Dude the Chinese are running concentration camps of Muslims whom they filter out to be murdered and have their organs harvested.

This isn't just the UFC anymore. Disney owns ESPN. They are all drooling over untapped riches with the full knowledge of what's happening.

At this stage if you support the Chinese government like this you are giving aid and comfort to war crimes. Ordinary Chinese citizens and people in visible positions may not have a choice or they suffer the consequences but that just makes it easier for everyone else to call this out. They won't. Not without enormous amount of pressure.

Remember the wealthy Western families backed Hitler and the Nazi war machine in some cases right to the end of the war without consequences. Some got criminal charges but that shit went on. Don't you think for one second things have changed. Those people live in a bubble. They don't think of ordinary people that aren't them as Human. Period.

Dude the Chinese are running concentration camps of Muslims whom they filter out to be murdered and have their organs harvested.

This isn't just the UFC anymore. Disney owns ESPN. They are all drooling over untapped riches with the full knowledge of what's happening.

At this stage if you support the Chinese government like this you are giving aid and comfort to war crimes. Ordinary Chinese citizens and people in visible positions may not have a choice or they suffer the consequences but that just makes it easier for everyone else to call this out. They won't. Not without enormous amount of pressure.

Remember the wealthy Western families backed Hitler and the Nazi war machine in some cases right to the end of the war without consequences. Some got criminal charges but that shit went on. Don't you think for one second things have changed. Those people live in a bubble. They don't think of ordinary people that aren't them as Human. Period.
it's not about UFC, and it's not just about sports. that's just a segway suited to this forum, leading into the bigger political/macroeconomic theme that's happening now.
if people think they're against communism and chinese government, they should seriously reconsider watching NBA and a lot of other western entertainment these days.
what's more fascinating is how people think capitalism will bend the knee to democracy only. which leads back to the topic of NBA and Disney.
they're totally into censorship and adapting to whatever political view they need in order to gain them access the big market of chinese consumers.

it's not about UFC, and it's not just about sports. that's just a segway suited to this forum, leading into the bigger political/macroeconomic theme that's happening now.
if people think they're against communism and chinese government, they should seriously reconsider watching NBA and a lot of other western entertainment these days.
what's more fascinating is how people think capitalism will bend the knee to democracy only. which leads back to the topic of NBA and Disney.
they're totally into censorship and adapting to whatever political view they need in order to gain them access the big market of chinese consumers.
China is Communist only to the naive masses who consume MSM. They are as Communist as North Korea is Democratic.

China is Communist only to the naive masses who consume MSM. They are as Communist as North Korea is Democratic.
economically speaking that is very much correct. although in other ways, like dealing with political oppositions they're still pretty communist

economically speaking that is very much correct. although in other ways, like dealing with political oppositions they're still pretty communist
Said nobody who read Marx or followed Russian history.

There have never been any Communist states. Only ones that practice it. It's an important distinction.

You have to ignore the Western MSM bullshit around it. The Russians were pretty open about the fact that they only practiced Communism and they weren't close. When in fact they abandoned most of it as soon as Stalin came to power.

This is beyond the scope of this forum. Lets not derail it.

China has been the main driver in global economic growth for most of the 00s.
as Chinas economy grows, it has become the biggest, untapped market for a lot of global corporations.
NBA is a good example. the recent conflicts between pro-democracy Hong Kong protests and Beijing.
Houston Rockets GM tweeting in support of HK protests, while the NBA is siding with Beijing.

do you think UFC and other MMA promotions will compromise on democratic values to keep their access in the $$$bln Chinese market?

That's the American Way. The USA overthrew the democratically elected government of Guatemala and installed a brutal dictator by request from Chiquita (United Fruit) in 1954. It wasn't the first banana war the USA fought in South America and Caribbean. There were the Banana Massacre of 1928 in Colombia, were as many as 3,000 striking banana workers were massacred for demanding Chiquita to
...Stop their practice of hiring through sub-contractors
...Mandatory collective insurance
...Compensation for work accidents
...Hygienic dormitories and 6 day work weeks
...Increase in daily pay for workers who earned less than 100 pesos per month
...Weekly wage
...Abolition of office stores
...Abolition of payment through coupons rather than money
...Improvement of hospital services

As a dispatch from U.S. Bogotá Embassy to the US Secretary of State, dated January 16, 1929, put it:
"I have the honor to report that the Bogotá representative of the United Fruit Company told me yesterday that the total number of strikers killed by the Colombian military exceeded 1000."

Chiquita to this day is funding terrorist groups in South America to get rid of such dangerous enemies of the USA as union workers, kindergarten teachers, health workers, indigenous people.

When you buy Chiquita bananas you fund terrorists--the good ones.
COMM-SHELTER-Banana_Land.jpg

Said nobody who read Marx or followed Russian history.

There have never been any Communist states. Only ones that practice it. It's an important distinction.

You have to ignore the Western MSM bullshit around it. The Russians were pretty open about the fact that they only practiced Communism and they weren't close. When in fact they abandoned most of it as soon as Stalin came to power.

This is beyond the scope of this forum. Lets not derail it.
said somebody who's read Marx and a bunch of history, among other things. you're presenting arguments to things that haven't been said.
semantics and arguing for the sake of arguing is a waste of time. i presented a necessary context to the point in this thread. the only one derailing it is you

You think UFC will take a stand over ethical issues or take the $$$? Hahahhaha there’s a BMF belt fight coming up that should tell you all about ufcs merit and integrity vs money stance

UFC is already a pro trump company that takes money from foreign dictators

fuck democracy and get paid
fuck ignorant americans who think they even have democracy

said somebody who's read Marx and a bunch of history, among other things. you're presenting arguments to things that haven't been said.
semantics and arguing for the sake of arguing is a waste of time. i presented a necessary context to the point in this thread. the only one derailing it is you

When you call a state Communist it has certain connotations that people assume. It's wrong. I pointed out why it's wrong and the history behind it.

That's enough. If people want to learn more about China specifically I primed it for them. They can now go and look this stuff up themselves. You are welcome to do the same.

I wouldn't say it's impossible a Chinese company could buy the UFC at some point in the future.

I know Dana lies most of the time, but he said that WME wasn't the biggest offer they got and that China Media Capital had offered $5 billion, yet Zuffa took the $4 billion because they didn't agree with the direction the company would take. Now I find it impossible to believe that Zuffa wouldn't take the bigger figure for any reason, but it seems fairly certain that they were at least in the serious bidding.

China low-key became the premiere host of the big kickboxing and Muay Thai events out of nowhere starting like 5 years ago. Not that they have huge audiences in comparison.

Last edited:
When you call a state Communist it has certain connotations that people assume. It's wrong. I pointed out why it's wrong and the history behind it.

That's enough. If people want to learn more about China specifically I primed it for them. They can now go and look this stuff up themselves. You are welcome to do the same.
i never called a state communist. i spoke of certain actions as communist (=adverb), which you would've seen if you slowed down your reading.
nobody asked for or needed your explanation

Yeah and America are the world biggest war criminals and now you care about Muslim you didn't seem to care when you bomb their homes, schools and hospitals all for the oil you greedy fucks. Nobody held America accountable or wait they did 9/11 happened. You call China war criminal when last did China go to war with another country ? Every war military action China took in the last 70 years was border protection. And orgain hervst ? What are you some tin foil conspiracy nut job ? No evidence just rumors and you'll dumb enough believe that.

Yeah and America are the world biggest war criminals and now you care about Muslim you didn't seem to care when you bomb their homes, schools and hospitals all for the oil you greedy fucks. Nobody held America accountable or wait they did 9/11 happened. You call China war criminal when last did China go to war with another country ? Every war military action China took in the last 70 years was border protection. And orgain hervst ? What are you some tin foil conspiracy nut job ? No evidence just rumors and you'll dumb enough believe that.

I'm not American but even if I was don't assume people support the government. The vast majority of the masses wants and needs in the US are not addressed and haven't for decades.

Also none of this addresses the fact that China is running concentration camps. They are. You need to get over that fact.

Back