PRK laser eye surgery

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
I had PRK. It was a fantastic experience. I couldn't get LASIK because I was training MMA at the time, had high risk of head injury at work, jump out of airplanes, and SCUBA dive. In short, I was the poster child for PRK. I went from having 20/400 vision (damn near legally blind) to having 20/15 vision. It's amazing. I recommend this surgery to anyone. Yeah, it will take a while to heal, and it will be a painful process. When it's over though, you'll be glad that you did it. If you are a physical person at all, don't get LASIK. That flap will be the defining factor for you when deciding whether or not to do a lot of fun stuff. PRK is where it's at.

Don't some people have to get it redone after a few years?

Don't some people have to get it redone after a few years?

Yes, even with surgery your eyes will continue to deteriorate due to age, just like everyone else.

I got PRK because I had thin corneas and was doing muay thai at the time. Plus, my mom had LASIK years before and the idea of having a flap that could come loose bothered me, even if I wasn't doing contact sports.

My recovery time was only a few days. I took a week off of work and the first two days were excruciating. I blocked out all lights in my apartment and took a ton of painkillers. Even then I was miserable. I had the doctor prescribe Ambien so I could just sleep all day while my eyes healed. He also had me taking a shit ton of fish oil and vitamin C, which seemed to speed up the healing process. I was ready to go back to work in about 3 days, but used the whole week. I also had a problem with dry eyes for about a year after the surgery, but haven't had an issue since. It's been about 7 years and I'm still 20/20.

I had LASIK and I love it. No problems.

I'm probably the only asshole in the world with a spotty account of LASIK. I've had it twice now. The first time it only improved my vision slightly and within weeks my vision was back to terrible. The second time was much better, and my vision was significantly improved, but several years on I'm at a point where I should probably have glasses.

I'm also curious about these surgery. Do the doctors do the test to auto correct your eye sights or are the test like when we go to make new spectacles where we tell them if the letters are clear?

I'm asking because since 5 years ago, all my NEW spects come out slightly blurry after I get them. I'm not sure if I did the test wrongly or the astigmatism. Because that's when I started astigmatism.
its the astigmatism.

This sounds great but seem absolutely terrifying to me. I'd be less scared to have a lot of other surgeries.

Can you have these for an astigmatism?

This sounds great but seem absolutely terrifying to me. I'd be less scared to have a lot of other surgeries.

Can you have these for an astigmatism?

Yes, I had astigmatism. You may have to find a doctor capable of doing a specific procedure for severe astigmatism.

Yes, I had astigmatism. You may have to find a doctor capable of doing a specific procedure for severe astigmatism.

How'd it turn out? How bad was it going in? You had glasses?

How'd it turn out? How bad was it going in? You had glasses?

It was great. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm about 7 years on and still see 20/20. I was about 20/200 in one eye and 20/250 in the other.

PRK visually looks like when the Drones come for Zion in the matrix; a mass of swirling machinery that slowly closes in on your clamped open eyes. They literally scrape the bad stuff away, and you watch it happen. You watch a mechanical basilisk carve away at your eye so that you can see. Its the most terrifying thing you can ever witness. Highly recommended over Lasik. Be a man.

Update: I had it done about a month and a half ago. My right eye was done two days before my left and my left has never seemed to have caught up. If I put my hand over one eye and then the other I am clearly seeing better out of my right. I told the surgeon about this and he said not to do what i was doing, and that what I perceive as a vision problem in my left eye is just psychological. I'm kinda frustrated. Sometimes it seems like I would be seeing better if I just kept my left eye covered.

Anyone with similar experience?

I had LASEK. The healing was brutal but it's effing awesome.

Want to get this - but it's so pricey.

I hear it's done cheaper in Turkey?

Want to get this - but it's so pricey.

I hear it's done cheaper in Turkey?
I think I’d rather have the guy on the first page who said he did it himself with a filet knife and Tylenol have a go at it, than eye surgery in Turkey...

Back