PRK laser eye surgery

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

So I had the consultation with the ophthalmologist. My options are PRK or Epi-LASIK. I'll probably opt for the PRK. Anyone here have either done?

I have not (perfect vision master race crew checking in), but my sister got one of them, I think the PRK and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks. The PRK sounds less nerveracking the Epi-LASIK.

So I had the consultation with the ophthalmologist. My options are PRK or Epi-LASIK. I'll probably opt for the PRK. Anyone here have either done?

Yep, got the PRK done. Wish id done it years ago, totally recommend. But took months before my eyes were back to normal. The healing was irritating as fack...
Would i get it done all over again? Yes, but one eye at a time.

Bunch off dudes in my platoon got it . Said it was one of the best choices they made while they were in.

Any reason why you guys would recommend that over Lasik?

This. What's the difference. I'm /was considering lasik.
I was told LASIK was not an option if you engage in combat sports/sparring. But the healing time for PRK is a dealbreaker.

I had PRK done when I was a doc in the military. It was the only thing that the Air Force would let pilots have. The reason was, LASIK is waeker. PRK lasers the surface of the cornea and reshapes it. It burns off the epithelial cells on the surface. While they grow back it is painful. You get local anesthetic drops to keep that in check. LASIK cuts a flap out of the cornea, then that flap is lifted up. The middle up the cornea is lasered the change the shape. Then, the flap is released and it heals to the lasered surface. The advantage of this procedure is you see great when you leave and it is not a painful recovery compared to PRK. The disadvantage is that the flap is never as strong as the original cornea, and minor trauma can open the flap and you will totally need a repair. The military likes PRK because the eye is stronger than after LASIK. The more painful and slightly longer recovery is the downside. I'm glad I got PRK instead of LASIK.

I had PRK surgery. Lasik is much less painful but could be less precise and involves cutting and peeling back a part of the eye which could potentially come dislodged at some point (contact sports/profession/etc).

PRK is much more precise. They basically shave your cornea down off the top, problem is all your nerve endings are exposed. For me it was extremely painful, felt like I had sand in my eyes and non-stop burning. Took a few months for everything to heal up but 5 years later and I have better vision then I did with my glasses and have not regressed. Do have some issues at night but they are minor. Surgery was very much worth it and would do again with no hesitation. For reference, I was over -700 in my left eye and over -800 in my right with regression every couple years since I was 11. I was fucking borderline blind. And now I'm 20/20 for the last 5 years consistently. It literally changed my life.

Are there any other drawbacks to PRK besides the pain and long recovery?

This. What's the difference. I'm /was considering lasik.

The main difference between PRK and LASIK is that PRK does not require a flap to be cut in the exterior surface of the cornea. But PRK is an alternative for those with thin corneas that may disqualify them for LASIK surgery. May be this video can help you to know your option...

Damn, I didn't even know they still did PRK, that is some ancient shit. I got Lasik, it was the best choice I ever made, and painless too. Don't let that talk of cutting a flap away from your eye scare you, its painless.

PRK-PRK-PRK

https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/care-centers/baylor-vision/for-patients/laser-eye-surgery

I drove home after mine.

The next day I felt like I wanted to sit with my eyes closed in a dark room all day.

Another day of that went by, and then it was just blury vision for a couple weeks till they took the Band-Aid contact off. Then slightly blury, then suddenly Whamo! Everything was so clear I caught myself just looking at things, like trippin almost.

Its been good. Well worth the minor discomfort. Less invasive than Lasik.

LASIK, PRK and other laser vision correction procedures have very high success rates. I had the LASIK procedure(http://www.evergreeneye.com/lasik.php ) done and was pleased with the results. But it's always best to do a trial with contact lenses before having a permanent surgical procedure.

I'm also curious about these surgery. Do the doctors do the test to auto correct your eye sights or are the test like when we go to make new spectacles where we tell them if the letters are clear?

I'm asking because since 5 years ago, all my NEW spects come out slightly blurry after I get them. I'm not sure if I did the test wrongly or the astigmatism. Because that's when I started astigmatism.

Back