privates from BJJ BB for judo

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
as above i'm considering training intensively in bjj for a coule of months over college holidays just to really up my newaza.
the top players in my are have really poor newaza so i see this as a place where i can get a quick advantage i know its very hard to implement newaza in judo shiai these days ut still anywhere i can get an advantage has got to be a good thing.i'm also going to take a private lesson each week when training with a bjj blackbelt what techniques would people suggest i focus on.

obviously attacking the back and turtle but what else.

i was thinking passing guard.escaping kesa gatame and side control.tomoe nage(athough ive never trained it before) and transitioning to juji gatame just as a "hail mary" technique-to use if i'm donw on points and running out of time or when i feel i'm out matched in tachiwaza.

yeah flying armbar for sure (and the less spectacular failed tomoenage)

Bow and arrow.

Baseball choke from standing

now with the no leg attacks I feel there are less submission counters avaible

Guardpassing meh, if you go up against better guys you would be the one who was thrown in the first place,

Guardretaining from sidecontrol

attacks from guard

pulling guard when you are in the process of being taken down will most likely cost you a couple of ippons becuase they will score or get straight into a pin anyway, but attacks from guard I guess

they won't be really trying to pass guard on you so therefor I feel it is better to focus on subs rather then sweeps

While it is expected to have some particular stuff that you want to work on, I think it is better for the BB to watch you roll and then decide what stuff you need to work on.

also each BB have their stuff which they are really good at, so you can train in his forte techniques as well.

^^^for a competitive judoka a very narrow approach has got its benefits

alot of the more intricate stuff he just doesn't have time for

sure attacking the back is a good idea but good judokas have insane turtle defense, in BJJ they would perhaps succumb eventually (and the bjjer has got points for backmount) but in a judo match they can hold out, better to focus on other stuff

I would think that attacking someone when they are turtled would be important and also how one can attack someone else from the "turtle guard". I saw a lot of people turtle when I used to train in Judo.

Back