Private Lessons! Is it worth the price of $100 per hour?

I've posted this on here before but it's worth repeating (when it's so similar to the last "are privates worth it thread"):

Privates are pretty expensive ($100 - $120), but I also think that knowing each minute costs $2 also means that I'm much more likely to pay very very close attention. It's sort of like drinking a $120 bottle of wine. You're going to choose your wine carefully, clear your pallet, and then really notice all of the subtle details of the wine.

So, here's my top 7 ideas for getting the most out of a private:
1. Go in with a plan, such as "I keep getting stuck in ______ and need to develop some skills to deal with it".
2. Show up refreshed by making sure you've gotten a good night's sleep and have eaten well that day.
3. Ask as many questions as you want. At $2 a minute, there is not stupid question.
4. If something doesn't make sense, don't just nod. Ask for it to be explained in a different way.
5. Take copious notes immediately afteward (some people prefer during, but doing so breaks my concentration)
6. Go to an open mat to drill and positional train what you learned
7. Teach it to someone else at the open mat

By following these seven tips, you will retain more of what you learn in the private and see dramatic improvement in the problem areas of your game.

I've also been known to take a series of privates on variations of the same technique. Earlier this year, for example, I took one private for four consecutive months that all focused on different aspects of half guard. I'd take the private, then spend a month working on what I learned. Take another private, and spend another month incorporating that new material, etc. As a result, I saw dramatic improvement in my half guard game.

Back